Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Equipment Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-09-2022, 02:31 PM
Rod-AR127 (Rod)

I must not read the IIS classifieds, I must not read the IIS classifieds, I must not read the IIS classifieds, I just bought a Star Adventure GTi from Bintel and it is going to be powered up and tested before sending to Perth to avoid disappointment (isn't it Earl)
I'm sure it will be fine and going to teach me so much.
Old 09-09-2022, 05:36 PM
alan meehan (Alan)

Well mine is going back to Bintel too much backlash and i must say Bintel where very good about it ,hope they can fix or replace it and the weather clears
Old 09-09-2022, 05:45 PM
AdamJL

Sorry to hear that, Alan. You're not the first, nor will be the last person to receive a dodgy copy of this mount. Either the QC is non-existent, or the design is bad. Either way, just like the AZ-GTI, you have to hope for a good copy of this mount, but they seem few and far between.
At least with the AZ-GTI you know what you're getting yourself into; it's not aimed at the sort of accuracy a dedicated GEM is geared towards. This SA-GTI is just a lemon.
Old 10-09-2022, 04:15 PM
Rod-AR127 (Rod)

Always disappointing to receive faulty stuff, with the QC on this particular item known to be somewhat lacking I'm surprised retailers don't check before they send or better still, check all their stock and return deficient ones. I have been told mine has been powered up and checked ok, l hold some hope of it being a good one.
Very excited to expand my astro horizons, dreading what she will say when it turns up and finds out how much it cost.
Old 11-09-2022, 08:28 AM
Crater101 (Warren)
Mostly Harmless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rod-AR127 View Post
Always disappointing to receive faulty stuff, with the QC on this particular item known to be somewhat lacking I'm surprised retailers don't check before they send or better still, check all their stock and return deficient ones. I have been told mine has been powered up and checked ok, l hold some hope of it being a good one.
Very excited to expand my astro horizons, dreading what she will say when it turns up and finds out how much it cost.

I certainly wish you all the best with your copy mate, mine was something of a let down. Some folks have reported minor issues that have been able to be user rectified, mine wasn't one of those.

Tell the wife it's an asset and is going to provide a better return than an evening at the pub betting on the greyhounds / horses.
Old 16-09-2022, 03:59 PM
Rod-AR127 (Rod)

It arrived, just in time for me to hide it and go to work.
I checked l had batteries before leaving and bought the manual to work.
Old 17-09-2022, 01:42 AM
Rod-AR127 (Rod)

Let the fun begin..... not fun yet believe me.
Using an android phone l only have the choice of one App version which is version 2.0.12. Like Neil in the previous posts, l can only move north and east. Glad l read all the forums, think l need to change the baad or find out how to downgrade app.

It's late, I'm tired and looks like I'm sleeping with the dog despite earning over $2k in overtime in 4 shifts to pay for it.
Clear skies, clean dogs.
Old 17-09-2022, 02:56 AM
Rod-AR127 (Rod)

One hour later.
Gave up going to bed, can't get it too move at all.
What a PITA!
Revisit when awake.
Old 17-09-2022, 10:22 AM
Rod-AR127 (Rod)

Uninstalled App, reinstalled X2
Releases clutches and set to home position.
Chose go-to star and it moved both axis.
Set to hibernate at home position and it returned to home position.
Arrows to move manually didn't do anything.

Then suddenly they did. Increased the slewing speed, yup, works.

Zero backlash anywhere without any load, now to get out the OTA and DSLR.

It's cloudy, the Mrs has calmed down (we are trying to smash the mortgage down).
Dog needs a bath.
Clear skies please.

Appears to be working fine, no backlash anywhere, l did ask Bintel to take it out and test before sending it to me and yes the packing had been opened. Haven't had a close look for where that screw is supposed to be hiding that sometimes needs plumbers tape, don't need to yet, everything is working and as you can probably tell I'm one happy camper.

Last edited by Rod-AR127; 17-09-2022 at 11:26 AM.
Old 17-09-2022, 01:28 PM
AdamJL

Nice one, Rod! Hope it continues to work for you.
Old 17-09-2022, 10:13 PM
carlstronomy (Carl)

Took ownership of my GTI last week, eventually the skies cleared here in Brisbane for me to have my first test with this mount. I have purchased this mount for the Evolux 62ED when I go camping. I must say so far very impressed. Did a two star alignment after a very basic pointing the mount at 169 and setting the 27.5 degrees. Stars came into view real quick minor adjustment and alignment went well. Accidently kicked the tripod and could not get it work anymore. Reset the mount position and alignment was going very wrong. Noticed a button that said reset alignment data. Did another alignment and every was perfect again. You can align only once, even if you turn off the mount so always reset alignment data Held Jupiter in the eyepiece for 1 hour no movement then used the goto for a couple of clusters and they were in the eyepiece instantly. Can not wait to try some photography on this mount.

Last edited by carlstronomy; 17-09-2022 at 10:27 PM.
Old 18-09-2022, 04:19 PM
Rod-AR127 (Rod)

Only gripe so far is the tripod that was recommended and advertised along side the SA GTi by Bintel. A Benro Mach 3.
It's a camera/general purpose tripod and does not allow the mount to be aligned with one of the legs.
So where l would normally place my tripod on the marks on my pavers and have the South leg line up with SCP, l have had to put more marks on the pavers and the whole set up just looks asquew, to my eyes anyway. It is possible to shave off a small plastic tab on an insert that stops the tripod head rotating, but that could allow the insert to fall out, however unlikely that is.
The thread in the bottom of the mount, being aluminium cast, is not the strongest so be carefully not to overtighten the mount on to any tripod.
Old 18-09-2022, 05:32 PM
carlstronomy (Carl)

Rod, I did not purchase mine through Bintel. My package came with the Sky-Watcher Star Adventurer GTI steel tripod. It is a proper telescope mount and very easy to setup correctly. I would be asking Bintel why they are recommending an after market tripod when there is an OEM one to go along with the unit.

Carl
Old 18-09-2022, 06:38 PM
Rod-AR127 (Rod)

The SW tripod is currently out of stock, at least with Bintel.

Sounds like I'll be chatting with them soon as if the SW tripod is an astronomical one. Lessons learnt by a newbie.

Edit. Been thinking about this all evening between stations, an EQ mount really is designed to be put on a flat surface and have a bolt threaded into it from below, just like the SW tripod. Then the mount can be orientated to any position. Plus the mount and tripod are both stationary and the fixing bolt goes in straight every time.

Oh well, l had a win with the mount, l lost out with the tripod but I'm sure it will be rectified fairly.

2nd edit, a few hours later. I've had a good look at the SW SA GTi tripod online and l feel like a complete goose accepting the one l got. To excited about the mount and didn't pay enough attention to the tripod.

For those about to follow in my footsteps, get an astronomical tripod.

Last edited by Rod-AR127; 19-09-2022 at 01:56 AM.
Old 19-09-2022, 12:19 PM
carlstronomy (Carl)

Rod,
Do not worry too much, we have all learnt a little along the way in the same way with this hobby

I think we put a lot of trust in our reputable retailers here is AU, but it does not always work out. Looks like they purchased a lot of mounts and forgot all about the tripods when they placed their order. They still want to move those mounts so recommended what looks to be the next best thing they stock. A shame really because from what I have seen it does not look like it would be up to the job.

For anyone looking for these Astro Anarchy in Brisbane is selling mount and tripod as a kit and also selling them as individual items.

Last edited by carlstronomy; 19-09-2022 at 05:22 PM.
Old 19-09-2022, 01:06 PM
Crater101 (Warren)
Mostly Harmless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rod-AR127 View Post
Only gripe so far is the tripod that was recommended and advertised along side the SA GTi by Bintel. A Benro Mach 3.
It's a camera/general purpose tripod and does not allow the mount to be aligned with one of the legs.

While I still had my underwhelming GTi, I used an older Gitzo aluminium tripod, and got around that issue by fitting it with a panoramic head

https://www.camerapro.com.au/7843-gi...panoramic.html
which had it's own bubble level. I attached the GTi to the panoramic head firmly, and then just rotated the head.
Just a thought.
Old 19-09-2022, 02:20 PM
Rod-AR127 (Rod)

The tripod l received is already in transit back to retailer at their expense. Can't complain about their returns process that's for sure. Purchasing experience tarnished but nothing lost and no reason to complain. We're only human after all.
I have a SW SA tripod enroute already, about $50 cheaper incl postage from Melbourne. I bought it from OzScopes.
There are (at least) two tripods currently being advertised for the SA GTi, the difference being one has a very open head shaped like a newt spider, the other the same as in the SW manual. I got the latter. Both have the same correct fixing method.
I guess it's Big Bertha the 127 achro until then, can't wait to have them both out side by side using the goto and 72ED as a finder for the 127mm. While l observe with the 127 the SA will be snapping subs.
Glad to get that sorted.

Clear Skies. Not here in Perth.
Old 20-09-2022, 09:36 PM
alan meehan (Alan)

Well the mount came back from bintel and i set it up balanced the scope its only a skywatcher ed80 and went for a 1 star allighment and it shuddered and jammed going back again iam not impressed with this mount at all.The tripod i brought with it is great a good little proper tripod but thats it ,iam thinking of of going for the ioptron maybe that would be better iam so dissappionted in this mount
Old 21-09-2022, 08:02 AM
Crater101 (Warren)
Mostly Harmless

My own issues with the Star Adventurer GTi have been well documented here, and I won't go over them again. One thing I did send with the return e-mail was a picture I took through the polarscope. No matter how I adjusted the illumination through the Synscan app, how I rotated the mount, or how much light was on the other side of the scope (and yes, I tested this in daylight as well...) all I ever got was an eye watering pink smear when the polar scope illumination was on, as the attached image shows. Lines, blurring, the works. There were no visible obstructions in the tube, and in daylight, the polarscope was reasonably clear (about what I'd expect, anyway) but switching on the illumination was meaningless.

That, with the other issues documented on this thread, has soured me on the product. I understand that several people have good copies of this mount, and I wish them the best, but I wouldn't buy another star tracker from Skywatcher.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (PolarGTi.jpg)
39.5 KB23 views

Last edited by Crater101; 21-09-2022 at 08:06 AM. Reason: Spelling correction
Old 21-09-2022, 11:03 AM
Rod-AR127 (Rod)

That reminds me, the polar scope.
Isn't it meant to rotate so l can line up Octans with the diagram on the polar scope lens?
No mention in the manual of loosening hex screws but I'm guessing l need to loosen the three hex screws located on the barrel of the polar scope in order to rotate it.

As for illuminating the reticle, useless when you're trying to find mag 5-6 stars in a light polluted city.
I can only recognise Octans through my 10x50 binos.