Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Talk
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 25-06-2011, 12:34 PM
Rob_K

Very interesting thread, and great to hear the various methods people use! Must admit, star-hopping isn't a well-used tool in my kit, except at the macro scale. I suppose this is because I almost exclusively view at low powers and I have very dark skies.

FWIW, here's how I go about observing. For objects I'm pretty sure I'll be able to pick out easily, I just use broad charts. So you work from the chart naked-eye, and take a geometric approach. Eg "extend the line of the 2 dim stars 1.5 times the separation, then very slightly up", or "apex of an equilateral triangle with base the two bright stars" etc. Then plonk the red dot finder on the spot and 90% of the time the object is sitting there in the field (or 10% just out).

Dark skies means you have oodles and oodles of stars to choose from, across the whole sky, and low powers are very accommodating of pointing error.

For objects I suspect will be really difficult, I print out the field from Starry Night with the FOV marked on. I look for asterisms within the field as markers (eg three brighter stars in a line, small triangle of faint stars, etc). Then plonk the red dot finder where the field should be & go from there, using the printed field.

Never mastered the use of finder scopes - red dot works superbly but Telrads are even better!

Cheers -
Old 25-06-2011, 03:27 PM
dannat (Daniel)
daniel

i tend to star hop using the finderscope - you need a 50mm imo.
i locate the nearest bright object, then work out on a not so detailed chart (eg mag6) that i need to get 13 deg & 5 deg W. i work out the deg fov of the finder using something like orion or crux, then i move the scope accordingly.
i re-check my sparse chart & re-check where i should be.then move to low power at the scope
Old 30-06-2011, 10:15 PM
Giorgio

Fantastic job Rob!

I also just discovered the incredibly good Triatlas stars chart and with your maps I can't wait clouds give me the chance to play with my first telescope (150mm newt on eq mount)

Giorgio
Old 30-06-2011, 11:08 PM
big_dav_2001 (Davin)

Thanks for the advice guys, looks like my way of making up my own steps and directions was right after all.. Hehe

Rob, those charts are great! They'll definitely help me add some more faint fuzzy's to my 'been there seen that' list

The Argo Navis Im in the process of buying from the classifieds is gunna expand that list a fair bit too I hope ... Hehehe

Thanks again to everyone for their tips

Davin
Old 01-07-2011, 09:11 AM
Groove (Grant)

Yes what an interesting thread. Some extremely great info here! As I have just purchased a telescope, I imagine this will be the next BIG challenge for me to locate & view any DSO. Even though I have a goto, I would like to attempt to find some easier objects myself if possible.

I have bought a set of commercially available laminated star charts (by Wil Tirion) and have bookmarked charts by "Robh" - they look great. Cant wait to put them to use.