Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Talk
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-05-2008, 11:54 AM
Scooter

Astro photography terms explained

Hi Ya Folks,

Anyone able to briefly explain some astro photography terms. Thinking along the lines of explaining what darks and flats were etc.

See them mentioned but not sure what they mean

Just a quick brief explanation for a newb would be great.

TIA
Old 11-05-2008, 11:59 AM
madwayne (Wayne)

Hi Scooter,

Have a look through this article, http://www.iceinspace.com.au/index.p...63,211,0,0,1,0, it should answer all your questions and more.

Clear skies.
Old 12-05-2008, 08:05 PM
Scooter

Thanks madwayne
Old 13-05-2008, 10:42 AM
renormalised (Carl)
No More Infinities

Talking

Ok Scooter, here's some terms that you'll need to know....

FL = Fairly lucky...that after all your alignment, "gotoing" etc, that you'll actually have the damn object in your camera's LCD screen.

ISO = Irritably Stupid Object.... those objects that no matter what you do, never turn out in your piccies like everyone else's. They're always out of focus, too dim, noisy backgrounds, badly tracked etc

FoV = F****** 'orrible View = Nights where it's clouded over, misty or foggy and most likely completely overwhelmed by light pollution.

darks = Where you find yourself every time you try to figure out what went wrong...completely and utterly ensconced in.

flats = How you feel when in darks

bias = Your feelings towards the quality of your own piccies when compared to everyone else's.

subs = What you eat for lunch

exposure = Something you don't want happening, as it may call the attention of the police.

Wide Field = The paddock the farmer stuck you in....the one with the bull!!!.

autoguiding = Driving some Girl Guides to the next jamboree.

guide star = Top girl guide at the jamboree.

eyepiece projection = What happens to the eyepiece after you try and take piccies through it with your camera. Very expensive exercise!!!.

There's a sample of terms...I hope that helps
Old 13-05-2008, 09:07 PM
jase (Jason)

Classics renormalised!
Old 04-06-2008, 01:48 PM
renormalised (Carl)
No More Infinities

Talking

Scooter, here's a few more terms that I have for you:

Zero-Image Focuser = Use this to focus and you'll never see another thing through your scope

Piggybacking = Pretty obvious, I would've thought. But quite frankly I don't feel like carrying my Meade 16" LX200 on my shoulders!!!!.

Guidescope = What Boy Scouts do to Girl Guides

Vignetting = Nets for covering your grapes

Prime Focus = Concentrating on your 1, 3, 5 and 9's

CCD Camera = A camera used looking for someone named "Dee", that you "see see Dee" in.

Stacking = When you trip up on that crack in the concrete and fall face first into your scope and mount, sending them sprawling everywhere.

LRGB = Lame, Right Git....B******.... what you call someone flashing a torch light all over the place whilst you're observing.

Well, there's a few more...more to come
Old 05-06-2008, 12:14 AM
Screwdriverone (Chris)
I have detailed files....

Quote:
Originally Posted by renormalised View Post
Guidescope = What Boy Scouts do to Girl Guides

Vignetting = Nets for covering your grapes

Prime Focus = Concentrating on your 1, 3, 5 and 9's

CCD Camera = A camera used looking for someone named "Dee", that you "see see Dee" in.

Stacking = When you trip up on that crack in the concrete and fall face first into your scope and mount, sending them sprawling everywhere.

LRGB = Lame, Right Git....B******.... what you call someone flashing a torch light all over the place whilst you're observing.

Well, there's a few more...more to come

HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA I actually have sore ribs after those ones Renormalised.

I have ones that follow on from the LRGB one;

Field Flattener: Large "bouncer" type bloke who enforces the lights off policy while observing at the astro camp.

F Stop: What your wife tells you to do when you are cursing after "stacking" in front of the kids.

10:1 Microfocuser: gadget that allows you to concentrate and focus on astronomy equipment that is 10 times outside your price range. eg. you want a $1000 scope and you only have $100.

Barlow: How you depressed you feel after downing a few beers in the pub, trying to build up courage to go home and face the music with a boot full of astro gear that you really cant afford.

Long Exposure Mod: What your brain goes through after spending 6-8 hours in sub zero temperatures trying to get that "perfect" galaxy photo.

Amp Glow: The warm fuzzy feeling the Insurance company gets from the increased premiums you pay to cover all of your expensive astro gear. (AMP is an insurance company)

Thats it for now, hopefully.

Chris