Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Talk
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 24-01-2012, 08:29 PM
EricB (Eric)
Waiting for good seeing!

Thanks Stu. I will contact Sirius optics.

Cheers,

Eric
Old 24-01-2012, 08:32 PM
dj gravelrash (Dino)

Awesum advice guys. Im currently renting a 8inch dob from my astro club and am looking to purchase a newy. The 10inch goto sounds the business.
Cheers again
Old 28-01-2012, 01:58 PM
EricB (Eric)
Waiting for good seeing!

A little update:

I have now contacted Andrews to have clarifications on prices, delivery, etc.

At this stage, my scope package looks like this:
My telescope package
- Sky Watcher Black Diamond Dobsonian 10” GOTO = $1499 (Andrews)
- GSO 6 mm Super Possl eyepiece = $29
- GSO 2x magnification, 1.25", FMC = $29
- Andrews adjustable brightness laser collimator = $69
- Light shroud price unknown yet

I would also like to add a power pack. Would this one be ok? http://www.supercheapauto.com.au/onl...46#Description

I am also wondering if I should also get a GSO 30mm Superview and a reticulated eyepiece for scope alignment.

I am hoping that I can order the scope next week.

Thank you in advance for your advice!

Eric

Last edited by EricB; 28-01-2012 at 02:05 PM. Reason: First posted incomplete by accident
Old 28-01-2012, 02:40 PM
RobF (Rob)
Mostly harmless...

Whatever you do Eric, don't look through any high quality Televue or Pentax eyepieces. To get the best quality views from your new investment you'd be looking at around the cost of your new scope in just eyepieces later down the track. (unless you ignore my warning and find out what you're missing out on.....)

Just something to keep in mind while doing the budget.

Last edited by RobF; 28-01-2012 at 06:51 PM.
Old 28-01-2012, 05:49 PM
Screwdriverone (Chris)
I have detailed files....

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricB View Post
A little update:

I would also like to add a power pack. Would this one be ok? http://www.supercheapauto.com.au/onl...46#Description

Eric
Yes, this will be fine Eric, I have a smaller 650 one for $49.98 which I use on my HEQ5 and it drives it for over 5 - 6 hours so the one you listed may be over kill.....you could get away with the smaller one no problem.

Cheers

Chris
Old 28-01-2012, 07:29 PM
EricB (Eric)
Waiting for good seeing!

Thanks. Then I will get the cheaper powerpack then.

Rob, thanks for the advice. I'll make sure I stay away from top quality eye piece for a while... but I do get your point. I'm sure GSO can't be worse than my current 35 year old no-brand eye pieces though!

I forgot to put on my list collimation knobs for the secondary mirror Chris mentions in his beginners package thread. I can't seem to find them on the web. Could you point me towards the right direction Chris?

Cheers,

Eric
Old 28-01-2012, 07:48 PM
Shark Bait (Stu)
'ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha'

This is the website for the knobs that you are after:

www.bobsknobs.com

I have got 3 secondary mirror knobs on order through my local dealer. Can't wait until they arrive. It is a pity that this is not standard on these scopes.
Old 28-01-2012, 10:27 PM
Screwdriverone (Chris)

Section C, $20.95 for the secondary mirror is all you need, the primary ones are just fine on the scope.

Here http://www.bobsknobs.com/Newt/page66/SWdob.html

Cheers

Chris.
Old 29-01-2012, 10:22 AM
EricB (Eric)
Waiting for good seeing!

Thanks a lot Stu and Chris!

Cheers,

Eric
Old 29-01-2012, 01:48 PM
AG Hybrid (Adrian)
A Friendly Nyctophiliac

Actually the GSO superview eyepieces arn't bad. They are also very reasonably priced. Correction is ok too. Get the 15mm and a 30 mm for your mid-low power observing range.

Also Ive got a GSO 6mm super plossl and well... its rubbish IMO. Might be better off getting the gso 2.5x barlow and use that on the 15 mm instead.
I also have the GSO 32mm plossl and in my f5 dob the view was like looking through a fish bowl. The outer 50% was worthless to my eyes. I don;t know about you but I think that rather spoils the point of a low power eyepiece. Being 26 its not like I have old eyes either.

GSO superviews btw are 68 degrees or there abouts, compared to a super plossl of about 50-55 degrees. A very reasonably priced way to a bit of wide field observing.
Old 30-01-2012, 07:08 PM
EricB (Eric)
Waiting for good seeing!

Well, I ordered this morning (before I saw Adrian's post...).

I got the 15mm and 6mm in Super Plossl and the 30mm SuperView, plus a x2 barlow.

Hopefully I'll get the scope before the weekend. Can't wait!

Cheers,

Eric
Old 01-02-2012, 09:07 PM
EricB (Eric)
Waiting for good seeing!

Well, the scope was ordered on Monday (from Andrews); it arrived Wednesday afternoon in Adelaide, earlier than I thought.

Unpacking to full assembly took about 2.00 hours, putting the parts together slowly, making sure I was doing the right thing.

I must say that I was impressed with the way the scope had been packed. As your very average DIY, I found the assembly easy, everything fitting well. I am also impressed with the quality of parts used, even if the mount is particle board, the finish looks good. The only criticism I have so far is that the screwdriver provided is too small.

I would like to ask those of you who are familiar with Sky watcher GOTO dobs the following:

- between the 2 round plates that make the base there is a stip of white packing foam material that seem to protect the mechanism that makes the scope rotate. Should it be taken off?

- In the user manuel (page 7) there is mention of a "provided battery pack that holds 8 D type batteries", as far as I can tell no battery pack has been included with my scope. Do Australian SW dobs should have a battery pack?

-There is no jack to connect the Altitude motor box to at power source (eg battery pack of 12 v power pack). Is it normal?

- The other thing is that no invoice was included in the package.

Other than that the scope looks great and is heavy enough for me.

The next step is to try it during daylight to familiarise myself with it, use the focuser, align the finderscope and collimate it.

Hopefully, I will be able to take it out at night next weekend!

I let you know how I go. Until then...

Cheers,

Eric
Old 01-02-2012, 10:37 PM
Shark Bait (Stu)
'ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha'

Congratulations on the safe delivery of your new scope!

between the 2 round plates that make the base there is a stip of white packing foam material that seem to protect the mechanism that makes the scope rotate. Should it be taken off?

The strip is attached to the base using double sided tape. I left it on my scope. It does not interfere with the mechanical movement and I am hoping it will help to keep the dust away from the gears.

In the user manuel (page 7) there is mention of a "provided battery pack that holds 8 D type batteries", as far as I can tell no battery pack has been included with my scope. Do Australian SW dobs should have a battery pack?

I did not get a battery pack either. When I asked about this, I was told this was not included with the Australian scopes. You will have to use a 12V portable power supply. The 12V system will be more efficient when compared to D cell batteries.

There is no jack to connect the Altitude motor box to at power source (eg battery pack of 12 v power pack). Is it normal?

That does not sound right. My scope did arrive with the cable to suit the 12V power supply. I would chase the retailer for this item.

The other thing is that no invoice was included in the package.

I would chase the retailer for the invoice. It is your proof of purchase for any warranty issues that may crop up in the future.
Old 02-02-2012, 08:40 AM
EricB (Eric)
Waiting for good seeing!

Thanks a lot Stu for your help. i will contact Andrews today.

Cheers,

Eric
Old 02-02-2012, 07:42 PM
EricB (Eric)
Waiting for good seeing!

I have contacted Andrews. They have confirmed that the Sky Watchers truss dobs sold in Australia don't include the battery pack.

The scope is outside, collimated, waiting for the night... I will have to do a manual first light test since I can't run the GOTO.

Cheers,

Eric
Old 03-02-2012, 07:57 AM
EricB (Eric)
Waiting for good seeing!

The scope performed well last night for its first outing. I started with the moon which looked spectacular with all eye piece except with the 6mm through which it was blurry. Jupiter was next. It was just above my roof, fairly low in the sky, in the Adelaide light dome. I couldn't get a decent focus on it, but could see the bands and 4 satellites.
Can't wait for tonight!

Cheers,

Eric
Old 03-02-2012, 02:07 PM
barx1963 (Malcolm)
Bright the hawk's flight

Eric
Well done on first light. The 6mm EP will give average views except on exceptionally clear and still nights which will be quite rare.
Hope to hear reports of some nice DSOs soon!

Malcolm
Old 03-02-2012, 07:29 PM
EricB (Eric)
Waiting for good seeing!

Thanks Malcolm. I will be more organised tonight and will have Stellarium with me, as well as some mozy repellent...

I should get a power pack in a day or two to use the GOTO.

Cheers,

Eric
Old 03-02-2012, 08:09 PM
Screwdriverone (Chris)

Cool Eric (or hot, probably in Adelaide....)

Sounds like you are having a blast....

The 6mm as Malcolm said, is subject to a LOT of blurring due to the atmospheric conditions as you are getting a LOT closer to the moon etc... so any turbulence like heat rising in summer is much more noticeable than with say a 20mm eyepiece.

Dont be afraid to use a widefield larger eyepiece like the 10mm or 20mm as you can see HEAPS of open clusters and nebula like ORION - M42 which are amazing to see for the first time.

For the Orion Nebula (and without the GOTO for now) simply point the scope to the MIDDLE Blurry "star" in the handle of the saucepan which is the "sword" of Orion. If you see the saucepan I mean, it looks like three stars lined up along the bottom and then the "handle" is sort of at a 45 degree angle up and away from it. Point to the MIDDLE one and you will see its actually not a single star but a very big nebula with heaps of stars in it (and 4 close together in the middle which actually light up the nebula - called the Trapezium)

This is a very easy target to find over and over and visually rewarding for anyone to look at.

Its one of my favourite things to look at, see if you can snatch a look tonight if its clear (constant rain and clouds here in Sydney)

Cheers

Chris
Old 03-02-2012, 08:40 PM
EricB (Eric)
Waiting for good seeing!

I love this website! Members are so friendly and full of advice. Thanks Chris :-)

Orion shall the be my task for tonight. Another hour or so before dark...

Cheers

Eric