Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > General Chat
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 13-03-2024, 08:17 PM
glend (Glen)

Preservation of my Image Gallery.

After the recent sudden death of brother-in-law (same age as me), I believe I should make arrangements to archive and preserve my significant image library. I am a member of Astrobin, so I have a Gallery there with over 100 finished images, but many more reside on my old laptops. These were acquired using a variety of tools over the years, everything from Backyard EOS, and Nikon, through SGP etc. Taken on a variety of scopes and cameras I have owned.
At 75 yo it is time to put some plans in place, predominately I want my kids and grandkids to have the use of these images long after I am gone.

I welcome any suggestions as to how to accomplish this archive project. If you have done something like this please let me know. I would prefer a solution that does not require ongoing hosting costs, or subscription, and as technically fool proof as allowed (I know a big ask).

Thanks Glen
Old 14-03-2024, 08:21 AM
Ryderscope (Rodney)

It is an interesting issue Glen generally with what to do with one’s digital assets in perpetuity. Not only with our imaging archives but we could expand that to include social media accounts and the like. However, getting back to the issue of our imaging archives there are really only two broad options being some sort of physical media or an on line cloud based facility.

The benefit of an online facility is that the management of the technology is done by others and it can be easily access anytime, anywhere. The disadvantage is that it may incur an ongoing expense which would have to be funded.

The benefit of physical media is that it does not require ongoing funding and doesn’t necessarily require a knowledge of passwords to gain access. Physical media does have limitations though in terms of longevity and technology changes. Just think of how CD ROMs have been and gone. An archive stored on a physical media would need to be refreshed every few years by transferring it to new media. Who is going to do that?

My thinking is that an online cloud storage facility is the best option though it would have to be supported with a funding model that doesn’t pass on a liability to future generations. Of course there is an obvious question of who is likely to want to look at all of this data once the next generation has moved on …

Which reminds me, I must work out what I’m going to do with that box of photo albums I found in the shed the other day …
Old 14-03-2024, 08:29 AM
Rainmaker (Matt)
Strictly Visual......

I have just finished scanning about 40,000 images from my photography days that were either prints,negs or slides, both 35mm and medium format, my daughter is now sorting them and will be storing them both in the Cloud as well as multiple drives. The kids are now going to be the caretakers of the images and will update the storage methods as systems change….. They have free reign as to which they choose to keep……

I’m also disposing of my camera gear, mainly Nikon and Mamiya and will stick with my iPhone for any future imaging…
Old 14-03-2024, 09:01 AM
Startrek (Martin)

Thanks for posting Glen , most folk probably don’t think about these sorts of things
I have a bunch of kids and grandkids too and thankfully my eldest son is a tech / IT guru , all my photos are held in two cloud based storage facilities for future access and posterity.
By the time I’m long gone the costs per GB of storage will be minimal and access will be easy by younger family members.
It’s very important to preserve a family’s legacy for the future ( especially decades of AP ) but I think cloud based storage is the best way to go at this stage.
Cheers
Martin
Old 14-03-2024, 06:13 PM
GTB_an_Owl (Geoff)
bewise betold neverbecold

I would think external SSD drives Glen

geoff
Old 14-03-2024, 09:35 PM
glend (Glen)

Thank you Gents for your replies.
Rodney I too have inherited all of the old family photo albums, and as many of the photos date back to the early 1900, they are not easily removed from their mount to scan. Most are covered by acetate sheet which makes getting them out difficult. I believe a mix of careful storage of those hard copies (which honestly will continue deteriorate), and cloud based storage for soft copies. I am happy with Astrobin, but you may recall that they had a server crash a few years ago and for awhile all of my gallery was lost. Eventually everything was recovered but I was convinced it was all lost.
I do recognise that future generations may have no interest in at of this, but at least as far as my children and grand children are concerned I believe they would tend to my wishes, especially if my estate covers the cost for another generation. My grand kids delight in visiting Grandpa's Cubby House (As they refer to my observatory), and love watching Sharpcap build a stacked image before their eyes. So the connection to my images is allready established in them, but the next generation -who knows. We can only plan based on the present situation. My son is an electrical engineer and runs a RAID storage system at his house, and his wife is a professional family photographer, so archiving her images is already being done. I am thinking his system might be the obvious hardware solution. I can download my stuff from Astrobin in high resolution files, it will take awhile but I have time hopefully.
Thanks for the suggestions. Glen
Old 16-03-2024, 11:43 AM
Shano592 (Shane)

If you are wanting to keep them offline, then optical drives for mine would have the highest longevity (it may not be the case, my system is light on caffeine today). Technological advances are the stumbling point with this thinking though, and unless you keep a device with the stored files, then retrieving them will be a job in itself. Even then, compatible ports would not be guaranteed at any given time.

As for functional and accessible storage that you have full control over, then a RAID system as you mentioned, would be my preference.