Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Talk
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 27-03-2007, 08:23 PM
.kraM

Binoculars

Hi all,

First off, what a great forum this is! Plenty of good info for newbs like me!

Anyway, I am about to purchase my first pair of binoc's + tripod and was wondering if anyone has has any experience with the following AOE 11x70s or 15x70s at all? How much more (or better) can I realistically expect to see over say 7x50s or 10x50s? ... should I just go 'all in' and get a pair of 20x80s?

Currently living in an area that has a fair amount of light pollution and won't be using the purchase for anything else other than night sky viewing.

Any help/comments greatly appreciated!

Regards,

.kraM
Old 27-03-2007, 08:31 PM
DobDobDob (Ron)
Blacktown isn't so black

Hi and to the forum . Go straight for the 20x80 IMHO, you will probably end up there anyway. I have a pair and they are just amazing
Old 27-03-2007, 11:46 PM
iceman (Mike)
Sir Post a Lot!

Welcome .kraM! Great to have you on IIS and thanks for the feedback. How did you hear about us?

A lot of people have bought bino's from AOE recently, and I haven't seen any bad reports so I reckon whichever you get will be a winner.

Have you got a tripod to hold them on?

The 11x70's are borderline hand-holdable, and only for short periods. The 15x70's will definitely need a tripod. For astro-observing with binos, there's a lot more to be seen when you can relax and take in the view without your arms shaking or having a wobbly tripod or a sore neck.

Don't forget to read Binoculars - A Basic Guide for Astronomy, and look at some of the articles and threads for home-built binoculars mounts.
Old 28-03-2007, 11:05 PM
.kraM

Thanks guys. I found you from a google 'net search.

Currently have an old tripod but might pickup a new one with the binos, and yes, think I might pickup some AOE 20x80s

Regards,

.KraM