Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Talk
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 21-09-2011, 01:48 PM
jenchris (Jennifer)

About the eyepatch.
If you wear it over your viewing eye for a while before viewing, you'll benefit by having a dark adapted eye (which is why the Pirates wore them in the first place) - then if you can't keep the other shut easily - transfer it across to the other eye while viewing.
You'll have a lot of fun with the 8" I know I do.
Old 21-09-2011, 02:06 PM
Smigatron (Ben)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenchris View Post
About the eyepatch.
If you wear it over your viewing eye for a while before viewing, you'll benefit by having a dark adapted eye (which is why the Pirates wore them in the first place) - then if you can't keep the other shut easily - transfer it across to the other eye while viewing.
You'll have a lot of fun with the 8" I know I do.
Lol thanks Jen.

I see what you did there..

I just adjusted my finder and I took a little drive up to the Crago Observatory just to check it out. There is an observing night there on the 1st of October, so i'll hopefully pick up a few tips there.
Old 21-09-2011, 02:45 PM
astroron (Ron)
Supernova Searcher

Good idea about the eyepatch

(which is why the Pirates wore them in the first place)

I think you will find the reason the Pirates had an eyepatch is
because they where blind in that eye
No doctors to repair eyesight in those days especially if you lost an eye in battle.
Cheers
PS what where the pirates observing ?

Last edited by astroron; 21-09-2011 at 03:13 PM.
Old 21-09-2011, 03:12 PM
jenchris (Jennifer)

When a pirate leapt over to the ship to be 'stolen', they wore the patch. Then when they went down below to fight the crew, they could remove the eye patch and not be 'caught in the dark' - they already had some dark vision to be able to fight.
Pirates with one eye didn't last long - they couldn't get down below and have instant night vision.
There's no flouros in sail ships
Old 21-09-2011, 03:21 PM
astroron (Ron)
Supernova Searcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenchris View Post
When a pirate leapt over to the ship to be 'stolen', they wore the patch. Then when they went down below to fight the crew, they could remove the eye patch and not be 'caught in the dark' - they already had some dark vision to be able to fight.
Pirates with one eye didn't last long - they couldn't get down below and have instant night vision.
There's no flouros in sail ships
This is an answer from wiki answers.com

In actuality, it was simply a result of navel combat. Splinters caused by the wood of the ship be hit with cannon fire and gun fire could get in the eye, gun powder itself can be damaging, not to mention, the chance of bullets and knives landing in them.

So to sum it up for you, pirates wore patches because they damaged or lost their eyes. Nothing else.
Pirates wore a patch so that they could go into a the pitch black hull of the ship in brightest day and have instant night vision w/ the previously patched eye.
Take your pic ,but I prefere the first one over the second
But that's just my One Eyed view though

Last edited by astroron; 21-09-2011 at 03:33 PM.
Old 22-09-2011, 11:16 AM
deejayvee (David)

I wouldn't be surprised to find some pirates wore them for reason #1, some for reason #2. Mythbusters showed that #2 does indeed work, so I would think a clever pirate or two wore a patch to give themselves an advantage in such conditions.

I also wouldn't be surprised if some wore a patch just because it added to their fearsome look.