Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Talk
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 27-05-2005, 10:38 AM
elusiver
i like lookin at stuff.

fresh meat...

well.. been reading the forums for a short while and thought i'd better sign up and post a somewhat obligatory "new n00b" post, which are then followed by the "get the 8" dob" posts :p

kinda 'stumbled' into astronomy whilst reading the austech forums(which is where i got the link to here) and saw a thread reviewing the cheap dickies telescope. I know the cheap department store scopes are frowned upon here.. but for $50 i figured well hey.. i might not be able to make a go of this astronomy stuff.. so $50 ain't much. Luckily.. i think i've fallen in love(don't tell the mrs though.. i think she already suspects me of being unfaithful :p) . Haven't even tried looking at any DSO's, just trying for planets so far.. got the moon.. and jupiter.. then.. the rain and clouds came. Bought a book, got a couple of sky map programs for my pda.. now looking at buying a new scope once my finances allow, and yes, am looking at an 8" dob.

tossing up between the andrews and the bintel, as most people do. The andrews on the price, but the bintel becasue it's been pre-collimated(cause the collimation seems a little daunting).

anyway.. just thought i'd say hi!

el
Old 27-05-2005, 10:55 AM
[1ponders] (Paul)
Retired, damn no pension

to the tribe elusiver. You don't have to buy a Dob you know Its not a prerequisite to joining the forum, though the casual reader might think so
Old 27-05-2005, 11:09 AM
rmcpb (Rob)
Compulsive Tinkerer

Before parting with any of the heard earned try to get along to a viewing night with the local astronomical society down there. You will get an idea of what type of scope you really want. Then you have to worry obout what you can afford

Anyway, back to the topic. The 8" will be a great scope for you, funny how many think this is an entry level scope, I don't agree. Its a great scope in its own right!!
Old 27-05-2005, 11:18 AM
iceman (Mike)
Sir Post a Lot!

Quote:
which are then followed by the "get the 8" dob" posts :p
Are we that predictable?

elusiver, i've seen you grow in excitement at the austech forums, great to see you've signed up here. You'll be sure to learn heaps!

I'll re-iterate what Rob said, if you can get to a local meeting/observing session (ASV or something) you'll see the different types of scopes, and which one(s) suit your budget.

However the 8" dob is a great scope, and if you dive right in and get it now, you won't be disappointed. You will have to learn to collimate, which can be scary at first, but again if you go to the local viewing nights, some experienced guys will be able to help.

Some IceInSpacers from Melbourne often have a meetup as well, and they'll definitely be able to help you!

Good luck and come back often!
Old 27-05-2005, 11:19 AM
slice of heaven

Hi el
If $50 got you looking upwards thats $50 well spent.
Whats the price diff on the 8", Bintel v Andrews ?
What brand eps are supplied by each?
Series 500 eps supplied with some Andrews scopes arent worth having.
Having your scope collimated prior to delivery is a bonus for a noobie, a cheshire will still be needed though to check and adjust collimation in the long term.
Enjoy the sights.
Old 27-05-2005, 11:22 AM
ving (David)
~Dust bunny breeder~

I'll have mine medium rare thanks.

while people say price for andrews and collimation for bintel I bought mine from andrews and it was pretty well collimated. also if you are having the scope delivered then bumping along the highway between sydney and melbourne may very well knock the collimation out anyhow making the bintel service a mooooot point.

that said, welcome aboard and enjoy your stay.

ps: learn as much as you can about your chosen telescope and pre-colimation wont be and issue (there are plenty of really helpful types here so ask questions)
Old 27-05-2005, 12:09 PM
dhumpie
Planetary neb & glob nut

I think they are both made by Guan Sheng so you will get a good scope either way you go. I say go for the 8" Dob. I know I would

Darren
Old 27-05-2005, 12:55 PM
elusiver
i like lookin at stuff.

Quote:
Originally posted by slice of heaven

Whats the price diff on the 8", Bintel v Andrews ?
well shot an email off to lee yesterday.

Bintel BT 202 SE Comes with:
25mm, 15mm and 9mm Plossl Eyepieces
8 x 50 Finderscope and bracket
#ND 96 Filter
Eyepiece Rack
Snap on dust cap
Instruction Manual
12 months warranty
Price: $549

Andrews Guan Sheng GS-680-LTD comes with:
25mm and 9mm Plossl Eyepieces
8 x 50 Finderscope and bracket
Also focuser coems with a 2" to 1.25" adapter(not sure if the bintel comes with this).
Moon Filter
Binoculars
Price: $399

both i think are float glass.

i'd assume that the eyepiece rack and dustcap are standard accessories and would come with the andrews scope also.

What's an #ND 96 Filter?? is it a moon filter?

so is it safe to say that the difference between them is that the andrews scope comes with one less eyepiece(15mm), un-collaminated but bonus binoculars(yay!). I doubt it's worth the extra $150. any other input would be great.

as for the glass.. from what i can gather the choosing the type of glass is more about heat. How easy is it to mount a fan to the GS dobs? if you have a fan does it really matter what type of glass you have? Like will a float glass with a fan perform equivalent to a bk7 without?

el

Last edited by elusiver; 27-05-2005 at 01:00 PM.
Old 27-05-2005, 01:40 PM
slice of heaven

Regardless of the material of the mirror a fan helps cool down time. A 12v fan from a computer tower can be fitted.
Put the $150 towards a collimation tool and finding better eps.

I missed your post rmcbp, Its only of late that 8" has been regarded as an entry sized scope. I'd always regarded an 8" scope a step into the serious size of scopes.
Old 27-05-2005, 01:50 PM
iceman (Mike)
Sir Post a Lot!

It's not really an entry isized scope, but an entry priced scope. 8" is plenty of aperture, most people would last their whole astronomy life with 8".

And at the price, it's just a great buy.
Old 27-05-2005, 02:29 PM
ving (David)
~Dust bunny breeder~

think of it this way. at andrews you get the exact same scope (ie 8" gso, 3 EPs, rack, finder, caps, moon nd96 filter, etc) plus small binos, and they might throw in a cheap barlow if you ask all for $150 less.

your 8" dobs OTA can later be put on an EQ mount for tracking for photography if you want.
200mm has heaps of light gathering ability.

alot of ppl would say a 144mm reflector is an entry point... others less... there are plenty of 80mm refractors out there and people absolutely rave about them!
I think that rather than looking at entry points in size or price we should state DONT BUY CHEAP!
but even then a $60 ebay refractor bought me MUCH joy

so in the end its each to thier own. it comes down to what you want it to do and what your expectations are i guess
Old 27-05-2005, 02:42 PM
asimov (John)
Planet photographer

G'day el....welcome!

#ND 96 filter is a meade moon filter, yep.

If it were me, I think I'd go for the Andrews. The money you save could go towards a decent mid-range EP of your choice..[not necessarily a plossl]....or a collimating device of some sort.

As to fans...I recommend not bothering..All I do is set the scope up at dusk and let it sit for 3 hours or so. Of course, that's just my opinion.

Enjoy your views threw your new scope when you get it!

Regards,
Asimov
Old 27-05-2005, 03:17 PM
rmcpb (Rob)
Compulsive Tinkerer

Yeh, I haven't worried about a fan yet and get great views. Just make sure the scope is outside in plenty of time for your viewing session (at least half an hour). This is a great time for you to go cruizing with your "free" binocs and seeing what is up.

The extra money saved could be used for heaps of things but make sure you have a cheshire eyepiece for collimation.

Cheers
Old 27-05-2005, 05:02 PM
elusiver
i like lookin at stuff.

ok.. stupid question..

why do you have to let it cool before you use?? I thought that the heat was generated while u use.. then u have to let it cool down.. i don't get it..

el
Old 27-05-2005, 05:29 PM
asimov (John)
Planet photographer

Mainly because the mirror has to be close to the air temp. outside where your using it.

If you store the scope indoors, its gonna be warmer in there than outside. After u set the scope up, the mirror is gonna take a certain amount of time to reach the ambient air temp. For my 12.5" mirror it takes 3 hours. ummm, no....a scope doesn't generate heat while your using it.

Asimov
Old 27-05-2005, 05:38 PM
asimov (John)
Planet photographer

I probably shouls add, its ok to look threw it straight after youv'e set it up. You'll get rather crappy views thats all.

Look to the horizon on a warm day, it shimmers from the heat haze rising into the air from the land. You see something similar threw a telescope when the mirrors not cooled down.

Asimov
Old 27-05-2005, 05:44 PM
elusiver
i like lookin at stuff.

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhh...

thanks for the explanation...

el
Old 27-05-2005, 05:48 PM
Starkler (Geoff)
4000 post club member

I say if the budget allows, get the 10 inch dob
You'll then have the biggest scope thats easily transportable in a family sedan, (important as you'll want to take it to IceInSpace star parties )
Old 27-05-2005, 05:58 PM
asimov (John)
Planet photographer

Hey El....If u wanna know more, do a google search on "mirror boundry layer" This boundry layer is what we refer to as the heat haze coming off the mirror.

Asimov
Old 27-05-2005, 06:02 PM
elusiver
i like lookin at stuff.

Quote:
Originally posted by Starkler
I say if the budget allows, get the 10 inch dob
You'll then have the biggest scope thats easily transportable in a family sedan, (important as you'll want to take it to IceInSpace star parties )

i own a mazda mx5.. so i doubt either will be transportable

i'll be happy with the 8" anyway i think.. plus i doubt i'll be able to get the 'bank manager' to sign it off

thanks asimov

el

Last edited by elusiver; 27-05-2005 at 06:05 PM.