Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Talk
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-04-2005, 05:19 PM
[1ponders] (Paul)
Retired, damn no pension

Check out this page Bazookz. It will help explain a few concepts and what to look for. http://www.atscope.com.au/visual.html
Old 10-04-2005, 05:25 PM
syzygy

Also check out this one for a short description of SCTs.
http://www.telescopes-astronomy.com....escopes056.htm

Regards,
Chris
Old 10-04-2005, 06:40 PM
Bazooka
Fresh Blood

Ok so as a comparison what sort/brand of SCT scope would one be looking at for a first timer?
Old 10-04-2005, 07:39 PM
Striker (Tony)
Whats visual Astronomy

Meade LX90 with GOTO at $3000 is a popular choice.

http://www.telescopesales.co.uk/mlx90.htm
Old 10-04-2005, 07:44 PM
[1ponders] (Paul)
Retired, damn no pension

While there are a few brands the two most popular brands are made by Meade and Celestron. There are others that are cheaper and others more expensive.

I've only used Meades and Celestrons so I can't give you a full comparison and I have no intention of starting the age old meade/celestron debate. That has been done to death on other forums so if you're interested in that check some of the American astronomy forums.

I personally like the Meades. An 8" meade LX200 start around $4000 and go up from there. The LX90 is more reasonably priced at around $3000 and the LXD-75 (equitorial mount the other two are fork mounts) around $3000. Celestron make smaller models than 8", the Nextar range, the N5i (5") starting around $2500 going up to the N11 at $7000. Needless to say its a bit more than your $1000 you are looking to spend.

As I posted before Meade also have an ETX range of Maksukov-Cassegrains starting at around $900 but it only has a 90 mm aperture. All the above come standard with goto and tracking. Some are more suited to astrophotography than others.

The ETX's are extremely light and portable, 8" (meade OTA(Optical Tube Assembly) and fork assembly, only, no tripod) moderately heavy at about 13kg but still easily portable. 10" and 12" are starting to get heavy but they are still designed to be portable, but I'd hate to have to regularly lift a 12" or 14" onto a tripod.

Hope that's helped

Last edited by [1ponders]; 10-04-2005 at 07:46 PM.
Old 10-04-2005, 08:36 PM
Bazooka
Fresh Blood

Just when I thought I had my mind made up!

Now what would a Meade ETX-105AT being in the same price range as a Deluxe 12" GS Dob give me? Although it has tracking and all that am I going to be able to see as much/more as the larger GS with same/better quality?

This is so confusing, I wish it were easier to choose

I am still thinking I should stick to the Dob. From what I understand this could be upgraded in the future with a better mount and maybe go-to or push-to. Im sure it has more than I need right now.
Old 10-04-2005, 08:39 PM
ving (David)
~Dust bunny breeder~

yeah go for it. you might be discouraged by the view in a smaller scope
Old 10-04-2005, 09:14 PM
janoskiss (Steve H)

Make sure you know how large a 12" Dob is, and that you're comfortable with its size! It is not what most people would call "portable". You might want to go with with the 10" or the 8".

Goto SCTs are way too expensive to my mind. You just get so much more aperture per dollar with dobs. (Ad in AS&T from Andrews has 10" Dob "Deluxe" for $649. That's 4 times the light gathering power of the ETX-105 which costs twice that (nearly triple if you buy from ebay ripper offers). But of course, the dob's no good if you don't know what to point it at...)

On the other hand, resale value of Meade GOTO SCTs seems very good. So if you get one of these overpriced electronic marvels, and later decide all you want is aperture, you can probably get 75+% of your money back by selling it on ebay (or here). The GSO Dobs are aggressively priced to begin with, and don't have a well-known brand name on the tube, so will probably not hold their value that well.

Always happy to contribute to the confusion!

Last edited by janoskiss; 10-04-2005 at 09:19 PM.
Old 10-04-2005, 09:28 PM
[1ponders] (Paul)
Retired, damn no pension

As janoskiss has said, the Dobs have a much greater light gathering power per buck so you can, for want of a better word, see "deeper", see dimmer objects, nebula and galaxies will appear brighter for less money.

The beauty of the goto is as long as you know a couple of stars and know where you are (Lat/long) you can press a couple of buttons and the scope will slew to where you want it to. You can get something similar with an Argo Navis or similar for a dob except you push/pull it to where you want to go and the computer tells you when your there (I think that's right. Those with dobs will correct me if I'm not)

The big thing is not to rush into getting something for the sake of getting started. Its a lot of money to spend so its important to feel confident that you are getting a scope to suit your needs. I really recommend that if you can go to a star party or viewing night somewhere and try a couple of scopes out. That will help to settle your mind.

Remember also what janoskiss said. Check the size of scopes to, 12" dobs are bigger than they sound. Especially if you want to go to another viewing site and waht to fit it in the car.

Good luck
Paul
Proud Meade owner

Last edited by [1ponders]; 12-04-2005 at 04:52 PM.
Old 11-04-2005, 10:19 AM
Bazooka
Fresh Blood

Thanks once again. I will stick to the Dob's me thinks. Although before I do hand over any cash I would like to check out a viewing night or some gathering to check out what is available. Although I am itching to get my first scope I can hold out a little longer to make sure I am completely comfortable with my choice. As for the size of a 12" it really doesnt matter. If I need to take it somewhere it will quite easily fit in my van which I use to run deliveries with.

Are there cases or boxes available to transport something like a 12" as I am sure they would have to be transported with care. Suppose I could easily make something up for the job.
Old 11-04-2005, 10:21 AM
iceman (Mike)
Sir Post a Lot!

I just use 2 of the foam inserts that came with the scope, and lay the OTA in those, and the base just sits beside.

You just need to make sure it doesn't roll around and get knocked by anything else.. pack it in snug.
Old 11-04-2005, 02:05 PM
astro_south (Andrew)
No GOTO..I enjoy the hunt

Bazooka

Have you contacted SAS yet?

Although it is not exactly in your neighbourhood, some of us on the forum are getting together out at Glenore Grove (3/4 hour west of Brisbane) this Friday night. I am sure you would be welcome to come along (send a private message to mhodson just to confirm) and check out some scopes. Unfortunately there won't be any GS dobs AFAIK, but I can confirm there will be 12.5" truss dob and there is most likely to be a 10" Meade SCT, and an 80mm ED refractor. There could also be a 6" f5 newt that will give you a sense of what can be seen with different apertures. We will also have a 6 day old moon to contend with, but still should be able to pull out the odd galaxy or two
Old 11-04-2005, 02:19 PM
rmcpb (Rob)
Compulsive Tinkerer

Baz,

Have a look at this discussion http://www.iceinspace.com/forum/show...&threadid=1533

I made some comments there and the same holds true for you. If you have a $1k budget get the 8" with the essential extras and enjoy your initial viewing.

When you are more experienced tracking, photography and an eyepiece collection will come soon enough.

Cheers
Old 11-04-2005, 02:33 PM
Bazooka
Fresh Blood

Thanks for that Andrew.
I sent mhodson a PM.
Old 11-04-2005, 02:35 PM
Striker (Tony)
Whats visual Astronomy

I will be their.....I'm sure Mark will be happy to have you....
Old 13-04-2005, 03:23 PM
Comet Hunter

Not much more I can add Bazooka, but just make sure you dont rush into it, make sure you know what you want to use the scope for and what scope will answer those needs...most of the stars aren't going anywhere too soon (might get the odd supernova or something here and there though.... )

Andrew, if the 10" SCT you're refering to is mine, it wont be coming out...I'll be travelling straight from work, then depending on the night, travelling straight back to work....
Old 13-04-2005, 05:44 PM
Bazooka
Fresh Blood

Andrew your exactly right. As much as I am itching to get my first scope I do not want to rush out and buy something i am not going to be happy with. I have done a lot more searching around and talking to others about it. I have gatherered a huge amount of information over the last few days and have to thank everyone here for the excellent (yet some times confusing ) info. Now I am just taking time to absorb it all. Unfortunately I cannot make it to Marks on Friday but would still like to get together with someone or a few of you guys to familiarise myself with what is on offer.

Thanks to all
Old 14-04-2005, 08:58 AM
iceman (Mike)
Sir Post a Lot!

Great decision.. there's no rush, the stars aren't going anywhere and you'll be pleased when you know that you've made an informed decision.