Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Talk
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-04-2005, 09:26 PM
Crash Nebula

First telescope

Hey all, I've been interested in astronomy for about 5 months now. My name is Charlie, and I'm 14. I've been looking into a telescope, one that is good for viewing nebulae, galaxies and clusters.
I found some nice mail order scopes - Andrew's Communications

Guan Sheng GS-600
$699.00 AUD

Absolutely outstanding quality and value 200mm x 800mm parabolic mirror Newtonian reflector on the SV1 high grade medium duty equatorial mount with aluminium tripod. Optional single axis motor drive with hand controller $149.

sound good? if i save abit more its in my range, at the moment my range is about $500 - comes with free binoculars and moon filter.
Crash aka Charlie
Old 06-04-2005, 09:38 PM
Starkler (Geoff)
4000 post club member

My recommendation would be the gs-680 8 inch dobsonian.

The same light collecting power, slower focal ratio for easier collimation, a much more stable easy to use base and $200 cheaper !
Old 06-04-2005, 09:39 PM
ballaratdragons (Ken)
The 'DRAGON MAN'

Hi Charlie.

Nice scope for a beginner. GS scopes have very good optics.

Consider this though, for the same price as the 8" GS with GEM mount you can get a 10" GS with Dob Mount, Crayford Focuser and I think it has a cooling fan.

Still at Andrews,
Model: Guan Sheng GS-880-BK7-CRF $699.00 AUD
Old 06-04-2005, 10:58 PM
[1ponders] (Paul)
Retired, damn no pension

The mount that it is on looks like a lighter version of an EQ3 GEM. It looks a bit light to hold that particular scope without coming up against too many problems. Certainly don't expect to be able to do any serious photography on it or be particularly steady. The 150mm would be more stable, though not as much light gathering.

I like the look of the skywatcher above it, the 150X750PEQ3,
as far as mount size verses scope size. I have an almost identical mount and while it is fine for visual work at low to medium magnification (up to around 150X), it also suffers a fair bit from the "wobbletronic syndrome" at higher powers, though it wouldn't be as much as the GS-600. Also if you can try to avoid that particular aluminium legged tripod. They just add to the wobbletronic problem. As I said ok for visual, not too crash hot (no pun intended) for more than ToUcam imaging of the moon and planets and SLR imaging of the moon. The only thing is that I'm not sure of the quality of the Skywatcher optics compared to the GS, I've not had a Newtonian.

If you are looking for an equatorial mount, the a single axis drive is really all you need. Once you're roughly polar aligned with it and manually slewed to your observing object you only need to drive on the Right Ascension axis anyway to keep the object in the field of view.

What are you aiming to do anyway Crash? Just visual astronomy or do you want to dabble a bit in photography. Dobs are great, more light for the buck, put they are push/pull scopes that require you to regularly adjust the scope by pushing and pulling it (duhh ) to keep what you're looking at in the field of view. EQ mounts use a set of gears turned either with motor or manualywith a handle connected to the gears to keep the object centered. I've not had any experience with a dob but keeping something centered with and EQ is a piece of cake.

It all depends on what your budget is and what you want to do. I hope I've helped and good luck with your choices

Clear skies

ps besides I think eq mounts look more impressive but don't tell the dob owners that Man I can hear them screaming now.

Last edited by [1ponders]; 06-04-2005 at 11:38 PM.
Old 06-04-2005, 11:22 PM
Starkler (Geoff)
4000 post club member

Quote:
Originally posted by [1ponders]

ps besides I think eq mounts look more impressive but don't tell the dob owners that. Man I can hear them screaming now.
A big trap for newbies. Yes they look impressive but in practical terms cheap mounts and tripods can be wobbly and often frustrating. A good solid eq mount is expensive !
Old 06-04-2005, 11:40 PM
[1ponders] (Paul)
Retired, damn no pension

Hmmm nibble nibble?

Hey Geoff, any idea how the Skywatcher stacks up agains the GS image quality wise? As I've said I've had next to no experience with Newts
Old 06-04-2005, 11:43 PM
ausastronomer (John Bambury)

Crash,

I agree with the others, unless you have a burning desire to get deeply into astrophotography the dob mount is way better for you at this stage of your astronomical pursuits. There is nothing more frustrating with a telescope than a cheap flimsy equatorial mount trying to support a telescope 5 sizes bigger than the telescope the mount was designed to support. Unfortunately this is the type of equatorial mount that you get with telescopes at this price level. A good quality equatorial mount designed to carry an 8" newtonian like a Losmandy G-11 is about $5k. The dob mounts on the other hand that come with these scopes support the telescope very well and are much easier to operate.

The others have suggested you get the 10" dob, I will recommend that you stick with the 8" dob as I think it will be a lot easier for a 14 year old to handle.

CS-John Bambury
Old 06-04-2005, 11:48 PM
[1ponders] (Paul)
Retired, damn no pension

Here's another idea Crash. Try to get intouch with someone from BAS (Brisbane Astronomical Society, there are a couple of members here who are also BAS members) and find out when they are having their next viewing night. You'll get the opportunity to look through a pretty good range of scopes.

I think they might even have a dob or two, you know something in the 12" to 14" range. Now that would be really worth looking through. Then you'll be really hooked.

I do agree with John though. 10" is a pretty heavy scope to lug around. And for you starting out, the difference between an 8 and 10 won't be that noticable. If you really enjoy an 8", don't forget that xmas is not really that far off. Besides some amateur astronomers seem to sell and upgrade scopes on a regular basis (Hi Tony) so you might be able to sell your 8" (assuming you get one of course) and pick up a 10" at a cheaper price later on.

Last edited by [1ponders]; 06-04-2005 at 11:54 PM.
Old 07-04-2005, 12:10 AM
ballaratdragons (Ken)
The 'DRAGON MAN'

Or an 8" or 10" Dob may come up for sale in here soon. There are enough of them.
Old 07-04-2005, 12:24 AM
Starkler (Geoff)
4000 post club member

Quote:
Originally posted by [1ponders]

Hey Geoff, any idea how the Skywatcher stacks up agains the GS image quality wise? As I've said I've had next to no experience with Newts
My last scope was an 8 inch f5 saxon dob (synta - skywatcher optics). The mirror whilst giving fairly good views suffered a bit of spherical abberation on star tests.

My GS has a much better figured mirror. The word is that GS consistantly make good mirrors whilst Synta (skywatcher) are a half step behind.
Old 07-04-2005, 12:43 AM
Chrissyo (Chris)
Is always sleepy

Hey Charlie!

Me and you are pretty much the same age, I'm 15, turning 16 this year. Although I am fairly new to astronomy myself, perhaps I can help a little bit too.

I myself have a 10" Dob (which I have only recently purchased). I know its silly (and dangerous) of me, but whenever I carry my scope around, I never take the OTA from the Base. Its pretty darn heavy and awkard, but I can manage. If you're a similar build (I'm fairly average) you should be able to manage a similar scope, even if you take the OTA from the base, thereby halving the weight. I think the problem for me isn't so much weight, but akwardness.

As for Astrophotography, one day I would really like to get into, as it fascinates me. So naturally, I currently take some pictures with my dob. Although due to the fact that when objects are being filmed (I use a video camera, and stack it in Registax) they move quickly out of the field of view (you can get about 30secs of video time with a relative zoom on Saturn of Jupiter) the images I have turned out are far better then I ever thought I would be able to get. Plus, word about has been that it is possible to buy a Goto or tracking system for a dob (And I'm not talking about the DSCs), thought they cost around the same cost as the scope itself. Here's my maths- the LX200GPS is about $5200 right? Well, a Bintel or Andrews 10" Dob are around $800? If you pay about $800 for the Dob, and about $800 again for the tracking system, thats only $1600, compared to $5200. Though, I probably got some of the prices wrong, anyone wanna check me?
Old 07-04-2005, 07:48 AM
Crash Nebula

Hmmm... people on the BAS forums (Howzat refferred me here) said that new astronomers get frustrated by dosonian mounts and that EQ mounts ae a better way to go. i dont think the mount is very flimsy looking but i guess you guys know more than me
I was looking into quite a bit of astrophotography once i got used to the night sky a little more - one of the 150mm GS's wouldnt be too bad either as a starting scope - it seems to have good optics and a reliable mount, but, of course, any help is appreciated. Im also looking for a light pollution fliter aswell because i live quite close to city lights
Cheers,
Crash
Old 07-04-2005, 08:29 AM
rmcpb (Rob)
Compulsive Tinkerer

Crash,

Still stay with the suggested 8" dob, it has a better focal length at f6 and will really help you get to know the sky. With this scope you will have enough money left over to get the standard accessories, red LED light, planisphere, observing chair, telrad, cheshire eyepiece.

After a while and more saving then a motorised EQ5 mount can be attached to the scope for serious astrophotography. With this setup you have the best of both worlds ie. a dob mount for grab and go then the EQ for extended high power viewing or astrophotography.

Then the next thing to worry about is your eyepiece collection!!!

Just my two bobs worth.
Old 07-04-2005, 09:14 AM
iceman (Mike)
Sir Post a Lot!

Hey Crash, to the site.. good on you for getting some advice before rushing in. It could make all the difference between getting something you're very happy with or very frustrated with.

Quote:
said that new astronomers get frustrated by dosonian mounts and that EQ mounts ae a better way to go
I can't agree with this at all. The dob mount is perfect for new astronomers because it's literally put it on the ground and swing it around to what you want to view. You don't need to worry about RA/DEC, polar aligning, carrying tripods around, shaking in the wind etc.

Rob gave good advice, start with the dob and get your feel for things, and if you still think you want to get further into astrophotography, you can take your Newt OTA and put it on an EQ6 for tracking. If the photography bug bites you early, there's no reason you can't do imaging through your dob with a digital camera or webcam until you save up for more expensive gear. My dob-based images can be found on my images page.

You're only 14, i'd start with the 8" dob. It's a great piece of gear at a great price. Like Rob said you'll have money left over for some much-needed accessories, and there's plenty of time in the future to save up and upgrade later on.
Old 07-04-2005, 09:31 AM
ving (David)
~Dust bunny breeder~

gee I wish my 14yo was into astronomy!!!

welcome aboard and enjoy your stay

I cant really add too much to whats been said here but my opinion is that if you are going to do astropics then you need a really sterdy motorised Eq mount to track with. if pics arent a concern at all then get the biggest aperture dob you can afford. a dob base is much easier to use.
Old 07-04-2005, 09:31 AM
[1ponders] (Paul)
Retired, damn no pension

don't skimp on the eyepieces. Your telescope optics are only part of the system. Your mirror or lense delivers the light. Its the eyepieces that do the work of focusing and presenting a great image.
Old 07-04-2005, 01:48 PM
De-Gen
nothing

Hey Charlie,

I'm 15 and have a 8" Newtonian on an EQ5 mount, i would suggest you to use a steady mount for astrophotographing. Or a Mak-Cassegrain such as the ETX 90 can deliver very good quality picture too

Will

Last edited by De-Gen; 07-04-2005 at 01:51 PM.
Old 07-04-2005, 03:02 PM
Crash Nebula

Hmm.... I think i will go with the dob.. it seems like the pogical choice since ive got some reallly good advice
probably...
Guan Sheng GS-680-LTD
$399.00 AUD

200mm x 1200mm reflector on a dobsonian mount.
or
Guan Sheng GS-880-LTD
$649.00 AUD
250mm x 1250mm reflector with 2" Crayford style focuser on a dobsonian mount.

I think they sound really good - probably the 8"
They are really cheap to me - at York Optical they are $699 for a 8"!!!
Cheers!
Crash
Old 07-04-2005, 03:07 PM
ballaratdragons (Ken)
The 'DRAGON MAN'

If you choose the 8" ask if you can get it with a Crayford focuser! It makes a whole world of difference.
Old 07-04-2005, 08:52 PM
Crash Nebula

Yup. I'm hopefully ringing them on Saturday to order it - 8" GS Dob.
I'm finally becoming a telescope owner!