Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Talk
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-05-2005, 10:10 AM
rmcpb (Rob)
Compulsive Tinkerer

Eyepiece Cleaning

Just though that a thread in the Beginner Forum on cleaning eyepieces would be very handy for all concerned.

I currently use a blower brush, isopropanol, cotton buds and lens tissues.

I remove any grit with the blower brush, then lightly moisten a new and clean cotton bud with isopropanol and wipe the lense in a spiral motion outwards from the centre. Then use the dry end to wipe off the isopropanol off before it evaporates to remove any grease. Then check it under good light and use a clean lense tissue if it needs any further cleaning.

How do you all clean your little pieces of glass and metal?
Old 02-05-2005, 10:15 AM
slice of heaven

Basically the same rmcbp.

I'd like to hear anyone elses thoughts as well

Slice
Old 02-05-2005, 01:05 PM
Exfso

I have been told not to use anything that contains alcohol to clean eyepieces, it can damage the coatings. Apparently the best is good old windex on a cottonbud.

Old 02-05-2005, 01:29 PM
rmcpb (Rob)
Compulsive Tinkerer

I've been told the reverse!! Some say that Windex is a pretty harsh cleaner.

Hopefully, this thread can tease out the truth.
Old 02-05-2005, 02:24 PM
Exfso

Aparently Al Nagler recommends Windex for cleaning all his optics, he is a bit of a guru, should know what is good and bad, always a good point of discussion
Old 02-05-2005, 02:40 PM
iceman (Mike)
Sir Post a Lot!

Have you got any reference for that Peter? If he says it, i'll use it, but I've never seen/read that anywhere..
Old 02-05-2005, 02:44 PM
Exfso

I have seen it written somewhere, but for the life of me cannot remember, will have a look though.
I found this on Televue's site which sums up optics cleaning, so we are both right. Have a read.

http://www.televue.com/engine/page.asp?ID=143

As a footnote, the guy I bought my Tak off told me NEVER to use alcohol based cleaners on my objective, he worked at a university where the guy who cleaned all the microscope optics gave him that advice. So who does one believe.

End result dont clean too often and always blow dust off 1st and do it in a clean environment. Oh yeah this is only for refractive optics, it is a whole new ballgame on mirrors.

Last edited by Exfso; 02-05-2005 at 03:03 PM.
Old 02-05-2005, 03:18 PM
rmcpb (Rob)
Compulsive Tinkerer

Well, that link kind of says it all

Looks like a mixture of alochol and water based cleaners are the go. A bit like when I used to clean the optics on microscopes a long time ago.

Avoid acetone!!
Old 02-05-2005, 03:42 PM
xstream (John)
Grey Nomad

Haven't found the need to use a liquid cleaner.

Soft brush on the end of Lens Pen.....Hurricane blower and Lens pen......I find it does the job perfectly.
Old 02-05-2005, 03:42 PM
iceman (Mike)
Sir Post a Lot!

Good article.. so where do you get the alcohol from? Or maybe i'll just use windex..
Old 02-05-2005, 03:51 PM
Thiink

Interesting reading. Apparently they sell the solution as well, but have put the ingredients online.

Sounds a bit involved, though I imagine with the cost of some peoples eye pieces/optics here it could be worth the effort.

iceman: you can get Isopropyl alcohol from most chemists. Make sure you ask for 90%+ stuff though (don't get anything like isocol from a supermarket as its full of other crap). It's handy stuff to have around, its also good for cleaning computer parts (ie. heatsinks, CPU cores etc).
Old 02-05-2005, 03:56 PM
wavelandscott (Scott)
Plays well with others!

A really dumb question now follows...

I've heard others say don't clean too often but what does this really mean?

How often do you feel the need to clean?...

I know, I know when ever it is dirty...

Other than obvious "grunge", do you clean your eyepieces once a year, once every 5 years, never?

For example, my wife shoots target pistols and cleans her "toys" after every use...I'd say this is appropriate for a gun but in excess for an eyepiece...(her hobby also explains why I am a very well behaved husband!)

Just curious about others experiences and thoughts
Old 02-05-2005, 10:06 PM
RAJAH235
A very 'Senior' member.

I clean only when nec. Puffer first, then lens/eyeglasses cleaning cloth with cleaning fluid from local optometrist. Was told by her, NOT to use normal tissues as these contain cellulose/wood fibre, & scratch the surface coating. No acetone. L.
Old 03-05-2005, 03:35 AM
johnno

Hi All,
A very good subject Rob.
I have researched this subject from all over the net and found 101 differing answers.
from what I have found only clean eyepieces when absolutely necessary.
DILUTE windex or isopropanol with DISTILLED WATER.
Gently blow dust off first,and only use a COTTON swab of some sort as tissues etc,trap any remaining dust particles and cause scratching.
Never use too much liquid as it can get between lens elements and ruin them.
Personaly I use a lens pen on eyepieces,remove the dust with the brush,then very gently using a circular motion after breathing on the lens,clean with the tip of the lens pen.
Mirrors are a different ball game,most advice I have read suggest using distilled water and a cotton swab.DEFINATELY NOT a lens pen.
Regards.John
Old 03-05-2005, 08:22 AM
rmcpb (Rob)
Compulsive Tinkerer

From all that it appears that the isopropanol is used to remove the greasy marks and the water based cleaner, like diluted Windex, removes the water soluble ones.

As for how often to clean, well, I look at my eyepieces and remove dust with the blower brush then check for any smudges. If they are obvious in good light then its time to remove them. Most times it only takes the removal of dust to keep them clean unless you have the unfortunate habit of pointing out the things of interest in your eyepiece with your finger!!

Cheers
Old 03-05-2005, 12:02 PM
toetoe (Peter)
Always Trying

Good thread Rob, some good ideas and ways of doing it around the board. Myself i use windex and cotton buds, even if they are still the crappy ones i got with my scope, it`s all i have until i get some better ones and then i will be taking more care with the better ones. I must admit that i do not see much diff after a clean job tho. It is better to clean than it is to neglect.
Old 06-05-2005, 12:41 PM
rumples riot
Who knows

On the point of the Windex, I read the same thing on the Televue site under cleaning Eyepieces. So I have cleaning my EP's ever since with Windex. So I am with Peter on this one.

Here is the link for the page.
http://www.televue.com/engine/page.asp?ID=143

Paul
Old 06-05-2005, 08:12 PM
Starkler (Geoff)
4000 post club member

I saw on one site that regular windex can contain semi solid particles and suggests straining it through a paper coffee filter into a container which is what I have done.
It seems Im always left with faint smears visible when viewing a light reflected from the eyelens surface. I might invest in a lenspen to remove the left over smear .