Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Talk
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 14-09-2006, 11:37 PM
Harb
CCD's by the Dozen

G'day Everyone !!!

We I thought I had better sign up and say g'day......

My name is John, and I live in the south west of Sydney and also In Bathurst NSW and we also have a property in Far western NSW.
I have found Astronomy again after many years of being away from it (about 25 or So).
I believe most of the stars are still where I left em !!

Last time round , I was a high School student very much into Astronomy and spent most nights looking into my kit built 10" newt , that I got from Astro Opt Sup all those years ago.......Had a 3" Refractor as well.

Well this time round, I have a small goto Meade, William's Optics Megrez 80 Doublet and a pair of Andrews 25x100 Binos...........and still have the old Reflector and the refractor somewhere!!!
I am looking out for a Schmitt etc in the 12" + range, so hopfully one will come along soon

I am right into photography and have a truckload of nikon gear that I have collected over the years and have tried to keep up with there latest DLSR range, but boy they are coming out fast now $$$
Anyway, I hope to get into Astrophotography this time round.

I think I got a bit sick of Astronomy last time as being one of only 2 that were at all interested in the whole district it all became a bit boring.
But this time round , I have found this great forum to have a bit of fellowship with.....half the fun I recon........so here goes

Cheers
John
Old 15-09-2006, 12:37 AM
Ric
Support your local RFS

Hi John and welcome to the group,
you'll find everyone here a great bunch of people and there's plenty here to keep your interest stimulated.

cheers
Old 15-09-2006, 01:13 AM
RB (Andrew)

Welcome to IIS John, I'm sure you'll enjoy your visits here.
There's a section where you can share you photos with us and a monthly photo competition too.
As you probably already know we have a terrific bunch of people on the forum, always willing to help and answer questions or just have a chat about things.

Cheers

Old 15-09-2006, 07:19 AM
[1ponders] (Paul)
Retired, damn no pension

and John. This forum has been the best thing since sliced bread for those of us wanting to get back into the seat and not sure what to spend out money one

If you are after a 12 SCT then check out the Buy, Sell and Trade. There was at least one going there the last time I looked.
Old 15-09-2006, 07:27 AM
matt
6000 post club member

Hi John

Welcome.

You'll find plenty of helpful folk around here and heaps of support and mateship to make sure you're not alone in this great hobby.

Good to have you with us.
Old 15-09-2006, 07:38 AM
astronut (John)
2'sCompany3's a StarParty

John, To I.I.S. and back to astronomy. Quite a few of us here have been down the track of taking up astronomy then being estranged for a few years and then making a triumphant return
Old 15-09-2006, 07:57 AM
Omaroo (Chris Malikoff)
Let there be night...

G'Day Harb

You seem to have a similar story to me - right down to giving it up for years, where you live and the type of scope you want.

There IS a really nice, well looked-after 12" LX200GPS with all the goodies on sale in the "for sale" section. If I didn't have mine I'd be looking at it....

Old 16-09-2006, 12:46 PM
Harb
CCD's by the Dozen

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone!!

Well I'm just getting organised to do some AstroVideo and Astrophotography, and have come to the brick wall.......yes we can get that adaptor, but we have to order it grrrrrrrrr
I hate it when everything I need is an order in item.......
Does anyone here happen to know where I can get a "B" series 1/2" Video camera mount....ie to fit a 1/2" 3ccd Camera block (Video) to a 2" tube?

Anyway thanks for having me, and who knows, we may even catch up one day under the stars!!

Cheers
John
Old 16-09-2006, 03:46 PM
mickoking
Vagabond

G,day and welcome John

I have found the digital age has made photography cheaper and easier. I can do more with Photoshop and an inexpensive digital camera than I could working with hundreds of thousands of dollars of camera and darkroom equipment when I was a photographer back in the early nineties.