Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Talk
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 17-01-2013, 08:11 PM
Rockdoc (Steve)

International sellers

Would anyone like to explain why so many US-based sellers on sites like Astromart or CNC won't sell their gear to international buyers?

If the buyer is willing to pay by Paypal or CC and wear the shipping costs, what difference does it make to a seller whether its CONUS or Australia?

Steve
Old 17-01-2013, 08:18 PM
Hans Tucker (Hans)

The issue come when the seller has to complete the customs declaration. A few buyers request the seller put down a much lower price than what the item is actually being sold for...it's rude and fraudulent and most Astromart sellers can't be bothered going through this.
Old 17-01-2013, 08:29 PM
Rockdoc (Steve)

Hans, thanks for the explanation. Steve
Old 17-01-2013, 09:39 PM
doppler (Rick)

The Chinese dont care they put $10 on everything I have ever bought on line. I recently imported a Bosma telescope, cost $250...... Customs declaration was for $10 value and for the description it was a tool. I dont think Ausie customs care about it.
Old 17-01-2013, 09:56 PM
mithrandir (Andrew)

Grey marketers sourcing from OS declare prices knowing how customs deal with GST on prices under $1K.
Old 17-01-2013, 10:00 PM
Eggmoon (Geoff)
General all round geek

It is also a lot to do with legal restraints.

Companies like Celestron and Meade sign agreements with the sellers. In places like Australia it gives sellers exclusive access to our markets.

The agreements the US sellers signs say that they wont sell into other places that have exclusive arrangements.
Old 17-01-2013, 10:00 PM
Larryp (Laurie)

Quote:
Originally Posted by doppler View Post
The Chinese dont care they put $10 on everything I have ever bought on line. I recently imported a Bosma telescope, cost $250...... Customs declaration was for $10 value and for the description it was a tool. I dont think Ausie customs care about it.
The chinese put a value under $200 so their own customs dept doesn't check it
Old 17-01-2013, 10:18 PM
Hans Tucker (Hans)

Quote:
Originally Posted by doppler View Post
Customs sure do care about it if it is above the 1K mark. I have purchased a number of high priced second hand equipment on Astromart and every time customs wanted to know what the item was and it's price and if they even suspect that the price isn't right they will hold the delivery up. I have noted that the trent on Astromart over the years has been restricted to CONUS sales only for most US based sellers. I laugh it off in the end especially when the item doesn't sell immediately and the seller has reduced the price to push for a CONUS sale.
Old 17-01-2013, 10:31 PM
Kunama

Just remember that if it is lost in transit after going through Customs, the insurance will only pay to a maximum of the declared value. So your Chinese scope goes missing and the insurance company pays you $10.
Old 17-01-2013, 10:56 PM
Ausrock (Chris)

Over the past 10 -12 years I have purchased a lot of (mainly) music gear from the US. One thing that apparently changed some years ago was the amount of "paperwork" US guys had to complete for o/seas shipments (including Canada), the result being that a lot of sellers just couldn't be bothered and consequently, prefer to sell within their domestic market.

That said, I've found it never hurts to contact a seller and (very) politely ask if they'd consider shipping o/seas...........it's surprising what a friendly, polite and diplomatic approach can achieve. My 9.25 OTA was obtained in such a fashion .
Old 17-01-2013, 11:05 PM
doppler (Rick)

I have bought dozens of items from China online and have only "lost" a couple of packages (about $12 in total) through el chepo free postage. Saved hundreds of $ on camera adapters, cables, scope parts, binoculars, torches, lion batteries, laser modules etc.
Old 24-01-2013, 11:50 AM
Wavytone

Bear in mind on Astromart, EBay and CN you often see all sorts of cheap stuff (camera filters, adapters, old eyepieces particularly) where the international postage will cost more than they're asking and they're quite simply not worth insuring.

So on these you have to take a punt that it will arrive. Mostly it does, but not always.

I've bought and sold perhaps 50-60 times on Astromart, eBay and directly with several companies, for astro gear, photographic bits & pieces that quite simply aren't available here, and clothing.

So far:
- 2 small items didn't arrive, so I bought again from elsewhere;
- 1 parcel I sent to a buyer in the US didn't arrive, though it was insured and in the end I gave the guy a refund.

If possible I try to buy directly from a company where there is a motive for them not to dud you - repeat business. Buying a one-off from individuals is always risky.