Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > General Chat
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 23-02-2016, 12:34 PM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

Anonymity will always be an issue unless anybody selling or buying in the classified has a profile including a verified contact phone and postal address along with first name and last name. This should be enforced and easy to implement. I can already hear the crowds screaming about privacy issues and other PC BS but hey, this is exactly why this kind of things happen in the first place.
Old 23-02-2016, 12:52 PM
Kunama

Quote:
Originally Posted by multiweb View Post
Anonymity will always be an issue unless anybody selling or buying in the classified has a profile including a verified contact phone and postal address along with first name and last name. This should be enforced and easy to implement. I can already hear the crowds screaming about privacy issues and other PC BS but hey, this is exactly why this kind of things happen in the first place.
I would have no issue with people knowing my details except that this can make you a target for opportunistic thieves who would then be able to troll through the forum to see what else you have.....

Personally even that doesn't worry me as my scopes are protected by my 'Security System'
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (MIS_1580.jpg)
192.3 KB26 views
Old 23-02-2016, 01:41 PM
astroron (Ron)
Supernova Searcher

Quote:
Anyone who would put those details open too anyone is not a very bright idea.
Contact with the person via PM only is the way to go.
When in contact with that person, if you have any qualms ask for a phone number and address,the latter would be needed to send the object anyway.
Contact them a number of times to gauge the veracity of their sale.

I have bought stuff on icetrades without any problems,but then I only buy from people I know on iceinspace for a while.
Cheers
Old 23-02-2016, 02:18 PM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kunama View Post
I would have no issue with people knowing my details except that this can make you a target for opportunistic thieves who would then be able to troll through the forum to see what else you have.....

Personally even that doesn't worry me as my scopes are protected by my 'Security System'
Quote:
Originally Posted by astroron View Post
Anyone who would put those details open too anyone is not a very bright idea.
Contact with the person via PM only is the way to go.
When in contact with that person, if you have any qualms ask for a phone number and address,the latter would be needed to send the object anyway.
Contact them a number of times to gauge the veracity of their sale.

I have bought stuff on icetrades without any problems,but then I only buy from people I know on iceinspace for a while.
Cheers
The info would be made available only when you commit to buy and the seller agrees to sell. So just a "BUY" or "SELL" trigger. Then the contact details are automatically exchanged. If the profile/address/phone is incomplete or chonky then you know what to do. It's a no-no. That's pretty easy to implement. My point is that anybody with an incomplete profile, not the public profile but the registration profile, has no business trading anonymously.
Old 23-02-2016, 08:43 PM
Kunama

I would be happy to accept (as an impartial agent) monies from buyers and accept scopes from sellers and may even then send them on to the other party!!!

@Marc, I agree it would certainly deter many scammers but might still be hard to implement successfully.
Old 24-02-2016, 09:25 AM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kunama View Post
@Marc, I agree it would certainly deter many scammers but might still be hard to implement successfully.
Technically a breeze to implement but too much red tape for sure. If it was up to me every user connected to the internet would have a static dedicated IP tied to their identity, but that would be like asking every pollie in office to be accountable for their decisions. Never gonna happen
Old 24-02-2016, 08:56 PM
yoda776 (Matt)

I would agree checking the seller or buyer out is the best way. Some people unfortunately try to buy when they have not had any posts and that rings alarm bells.

I ended up trading my celestron 6se as I asked for bank deposit and not paypal. Those were the terms and the buyer accepted, so about the safest way to sell. As a buyer I get nervous about bank deposit because people can simply take your money and when I had that happen, the police took details but essentially did nothing (although they did cite the person was already known to them ...). Best to also check beyond the web site for names - googled the scammer I had and found he had a history going back some years. but too late

As for systems, they are often hard to implement and then what rules you implement may seem a good idea but then you find they restrict or do not cover other aspects. Also takes time and money to implement. Often they keep honest people honest and scammers work out a way.

I like the fact this is a free web site and have met some great people on here. If anything is done it needs to be simple but effective (harder said than done).
Old 24-02-2016, 08:58 PM
yoda776 (Matt)

And then we all plug into the Matrix and everything will be fine ...
Yes pollies like to be Teflon coated ... the brown stuff never stays around long and ends up on some other poor person

Quote:
Technically a breeze to implement but too much red tape for sure. If it was up to me every user connected to the internet would have a static dedicated IP tied to their identity, but that would be like asking every pollie in office to be accountable for their decisions. Never gonna happen