Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Talk
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-08-2009, 10:44 PM
norm

Quote:
I've only read good about the Argo Navis. What do you think of the SkyWatcher that comes with tracking and then adding the Argo to it, when my wallet recovers? Then I would have a push-to that can track?
Hi Shane,

I can't comment on the Skywatcher with tracking as I haven't seen or played with one. I'm not really sure how important tracking is and whether its a must have option. Again, I'm biased and I'd go with an Argo anytime of the week.

As John says a Lightbridge is a pretty good option too and you can't go wrong with it either. I'll go as far as to getting a 12" LB deluxe if the budget stretches and if it will fit the in the family car.
Couple of things you'll probably want to do with it is: get a light shroud, replace the springs, primary and secondary screws (check out Bob's knob, but you can probably find cheaper alternatives at a fraction of the price for those - just search the forum on the details).

I think its a great idea to sus out some scopes at a club with and without an Argo and then you will appreciate the difference.

Optically wise, I don't think you will see any difference between Meade and Skywatcher mirrors as they probably come out the same factory in China.

Also, don't forget to budget for some must have accessories like collimation tool, star map etc.

Cheers, Norm
Old 09-08-2009, 01:17 PM
shane.mcneil

Well after much umming and ahhing I've decided to start out with a 10" solid tube. I measured up the car and think it will fit. Depending on how much I get into things, I might go to a larger truss telescope later. Or maybe build my own.

So just one last question (I hope) if you don't mind. I'm looking at either the 10" GSO Super Deluxe $700 from here.

Or the 10" SkyWatcher $800 from here.

Would you recommend one over the other?

Many thanks once again. I have considered everyone's comments and you have help me decide what I want (much to my wife relief).
Old 09-08-2009, 05:08 PM
barx1963 (Malcolm)
Bright the hawk's flight

I have dealt with both companies in the last few months and have found service at both to be excellent. Can't comment on after sales and warranty issues as I haven't had any.
Old 09-08-2009, 09:35 PM
richardda1st (Richard)

My 10" Lightbridge fits nicely in the back cargo section of my tiny Mitsubishi colt. Maybe even the 12".
Plenty of room in the smallish Suzuki Grand Vitara also, but with luggage pod on roof. When my wife and 2 grown kids come along, say on a camping trip.

I think the Lightbridge compacts a lot smaller then the others, such as the Skywatcher. But I'm sure they are all on par in other areas.

Shane, they are heavier than I thought. Have you tried moving them about?
Still happy with mine (3 months now). Problem with secondary mirror. Meade said they will send a replacement, no hassle as yet.

Very hard to find a 10" at the moment.

Good luck.
Old 10-08-2009, 10:23 AM
mental4astro (Alexander)
kids+wife+scopes=happyman

Hi Shane,

It's being an interesting thread you have started. Lots of very good views.

My 10" I built with the help of a friend over about four months, working on it every saturday about three hours at a time (including set-up & clean up at end of day). I made every component including the mirror cell, spider & diagonal using a simple telescope making reference book as a guide. I had purchased the optics & focuser.

As you can see, it is a very compact unit with the focuser board fitting into the mirror box for storage the whole thing being even smaller than a two draw filing cabinet. It holds its collimation very well & is silky smooth to use. It lives unobstrusively in a woredrobe.

Knowing what I do today about materials, the only changes I would make to its design is use a little thinner ply & alter the design of the diagonal to make it smaller & cut more holes in the rocker box. This would just be to reduce weight.

Its design also allows the addition of DSC's if wanted.

Mental
Old 18-09-2009, 10:15 PM
shane.mcneil

Well just thought that I would let everyone know how the story ended, just in case someone reads this at a later date. I concluded there was no right or wrong desicion as such, and just went for what I thought would suit me. I couldn't get anywhere to see a telescope in action so I just had to hope. I ended up buying the GSO 10" Dob, got it two days ago. The quality of construction is better than I expected. The main problem I've noticed so far is that the pivot point connection to the base is a bit sloppy and will need packing.

I like the right angle finder (I think) and the 10:1 focuser is great. The fan is good too. Now I just have to work out the collimating thing. I've read a lot and now understand the principle, so I am hopeful. The scope is bigger than I imagined. I'm glad I went for a 10" as a 12" for me would have been a bit to much to hassle to move (again what's right for you decides it but if your think 12" solid it's good to actually see one to get a sense of size).

I've seen Jupiter briefly. Clouds got in the way. But it was great. There was a black dot on the planet. I hope it was a moon shadow and not dust on the EP. Again not knowing what to expect, it was a little smaller than I hoped, but I haven't worked my way through all my eyepieces yet.

Many thanks once again to everyone who commented on this and all of the other threads I've read. I knew nothing at first and this site really helped. If anyone has any questions about the telescope or why I went for it, feel free to contact me.

Regards,

Shane
Old 18-09-2009, 11:32 PM
mental4astro (Alexander)
kids+wife+scopes=happyman

Old 19-09-2009, 10:12 AM
GrahamL
pro lumen

great stuff shane .. I had a 10" for a couple of years

one of these working with your finder makes revisiting the same point in the sky very easy
http://www.backyard-astro.com/equipm...ad/telrad.html

yes it was a moon ( havn't looked up which one yet) you saw two nights back, sounds like your collimation dosn't need messing with to much yet , my 10" rarely needed a tweak .
Old 19-09-2009, 07:41 PM
garyp
coffee time

Hi Shane, I have just been reading this very interesting thread. I'm glad you made a decision you are happy with. I have got an 8" Skywatcher dob. It doesn't have any tracking etc... I have young kids who like to veiw from time to time. It has been no problem finding objects and keeping them in veiw. They don't spend much time anyway as they only like the big objects like the moon and planets so most of the time I am veiwing other objects on my own. Mine is no problem to transport but it won't be as heavy as yours. It's well said that the best scope you can get is one you will use often. I use mine as often as I can.

One advantage of the dob costwise is you spend your money on aperture and eyepeices to get a nice view before getting too technical.

I hope you get many years enjoyment out of your new scope.

Cheers

Gary