Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Talk
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 13-01-2008, 04:05 PM
chunkylad (David)
Open up. it's me, Dave...

Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardsdj View Post
I got my "Bob's Knobs" for my 12" Lightbridge from BinTel. Collimation is so much easier without tools and the stiffer springs in the kit allow the primary to hold collimation at all altitudes. They were a bit pricey at just under $100 as I recall for primary and secondary knobs and stiffer primary springs.
I have emailed Bintel regarding the suitabiltyf their Bob's Knobs for the 12" Guan Sheng OTA. I wouldn't mind a set for mine, if they're compatible. I will post any response I get.
Old 14-01-2008, 01:24 PM
chunkylad (David)
Open up. it's me, Dave...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Night Owl View Post
I've used red dot reflector sights on rifles and pistols before, and the dot is usually 1 MOA at 100yards, which = 1 inch at that range. And for $9.95 I don't think it will cause any damage mounted to a Dobsonian!
Sorry Night Owl, I need to clarify what I meant to say. I should have said that at 4 moa (which may be incorrect anyway, as you say) the red dot from this finder may tend to obscure rather than highlight any small astronomical object you may be trying to find; bearing in mind that a full moon is about 30 moa in diameter.

As for possible damage: I'm sure a 12" GS dob is rugged enough to handle having this finder fitted to it

I also had a reply from Bintel this morning. The Bob's Knobs set for the 12" Meade Lightbridge will also fit the 12" GS OTA.
Old 14-01-2008, 05:46 PM
edwardsdj (Doug)
Doug Edwards

Quote:
Originally Posted by chunkylad View Post
I also had a reply from Bintel this morning. The Bob's Knobs set for the 12" Meade Lightbridge will also fit the 12" GS OTA.
These knobs and springs make a huge difference. I cannot recommend them enough

I'm sure others have found cheaper solutions but the Bob's Knobs kit is very easy to install and it works straight away.
Old 14-01-2008, 07:17 PM
Glenhuon (Bill)

Hi Night Owl
I have one of those red dot rifle scopes and they are very similar to the red dot finders but have no dimmer on them. Found it was a bit too bright for faint stars and had to put a filter over the LED (bit of dark photo negative) better to go with a finder for astronomy or a telrad.

Cheers
Bill
Old 14-01-2008, 07:48 PM
Night Owl
It was there last time!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenhuon View Post
Hi Night Owl
I have one of those red dot rifle scopes and they are very similar to the red dot finders but have no dimmer on them. Found it was a bit too bright for faint stars and had to put a filter over the LED (bit of dark photo negative) better to go with a finder for astronomy or a telrad.

Cheers
Bill
Thanks for the tip Glenhuon. I was wondering about the cheaper non-dimmer versions suitability for astronomy. I have used a five brightness setting red dot one at night on a rifle. So I might still buy a cheap one, with a dimmer, and if it is still too bright for astronomy I can attach it to my .357 magnum lever action for quick day and night shooting.
Old 14-01-2008, 07:52 PM
Night Owl
It was there last time!

Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardsdj View Post
These knobs and springs make a huge difference. I cannot recommend them enough

I'm sure others have found cheaper solutions but the Bob's Knobs kit is very easy to install and it works straight away.
I'd like to know what Bob's Knobs look like before I handle them myself!

But, from the very positive reports of people who have handled Bob's Knobs, it sounds like I might want handle Bobs Knobs sooner rather than later.
Old 17-01-2008, 11:03 PM
Night Owl
It was there last time!

The role of truckers in astronomy.

Well, my 'new' GSO 12" Dobs arrived today, while I was at work.
Its still at the freight depot.
They want me to come down and inspect the "DAMAGE" to it!
My wife went to see the "DAMAGE". She said its like someone has put their boot right through the cardboard box, then compressed and broken the inner foam packaging, and crushed the scope tube! AAARRRRGGGGHHH!

Most likely its been stood on, or kicked hard.

If they expect me to sign the delivery docket for a damaged telescope tube they are nuts! If it has so much as a scratch on it I won't be signing for it, and it can go back to be replaced.

I'll also contact the dirtbag truck company and find out when, where, and who was handling it.

:mad2 :

P.S. I work in a prison, and as an occupation truck driver features very prominently on offender databases for drug trafficing, amphetamine abuse and dangerous / careless driving. Having prior criminal convictions also seems to be a mandatory qualification as well!

And a warning for you all...

Two weeks before Christmas I was driving back home late at night. Before I left Melbourne outskirts I noticed an abnormal lack of trucks on the road for that day and that time of night. Then as I progressed further up the highway I noticed ALOT of trucks parked on every available truck parking area. I also noticed ever less trucks on the road, and of those on the road most of them were from bigger freight companies. Eventually I came to Ballarat, and voila, a big light polluting sign saying all trucks pull in at the weigh bridge for random drug testing!

No wonder I think 75% of the normal truck traffic was parked on the side of the road all the way back to Melbourne.

Just keep those stats in mind when you see a B-Double Semi wandering all over the road coming towards you....there is a good chance one in ten drivers hasn't slept for over 12 hours, and they are pilled off their head. Had a chat to one truckie prisoner...he was bragging how he had driven from Melbourne to Perth and return non-stop, then driven to Sydney, in less than 5 days!

Sorry for the rave folks, but I'm so Peed off my trigger finger is twitching!

http://a643.ac-images.myspacecdn.com...7e2e90a1da.jpg
Old 18-01-2008, 09:58 AM
Night Owl
It was there last time!

Truckers suck. Andrew's Communications Rock.

They tried to deliver my 'new' GSO 12" Dobs.
I had one look at the box, and some genius has put a forklift tine right through the box, and CRUSHED THE TUBE SIGNIFICANTLY!

Better still, the hired goons who delivered it expected me to sign for it!

The conversation went something like this... I start...

"What about about this hole in the box?"
"Oh that!" like it was nothing.
"Look, someone has put a forklift tine right through and the tube is crushed."
"Is it?" Unconvincing mock surprise, as if they didn't know.
"Yeah, have a look (put arm in hole and point for them). The tube is supposed to be round, not flattened."
"Oh yeah, it is to." It is too obvious for even dumb and dumber to try and ignore.
"You know I'm not signing for it. Its damaged goods. I can't use it like it is. You can send it back."
"Ahh, don't you want it!?"
"Mate, it's a telescope, not a sack of spuds, and it's damaged. It is supposed to be a round tube. I'm not accepting damaged goods. You can send it back."
"What! So you're not going to sign for it? What are we going to do with it?"
"Like I said, you can send it back, I'm not signing for damaged goods. As far as I'm concerned it's junk."

More dumb looks from 2/3rds of the Three Stooges, till they realise they can't make me sign for the sad sorry wreck. They finally put it back on their Moron Mobile: aka truck.

DISAPPOINTED!

The only good thing is I got straight on the phone right away to Andrew's Communications, and explained what condition it's in, and they are dispatching me an 'uncrushed' GSO 12" Dobs today. And the stupid useless Thomas National Trashers can take the poor thing they wrecked back the way it came.

And you know what? Because I ordered a telescope, it has clouded over and threatened to rain for the first time since mid December!