Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Talk
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-10-2006, 10:28 AM
cahullian
Hapkido = Pain

Hi Apocrisiary

Go for it, 16" might be a frustrating at first but you will get the hang of it soon enough.

LOL Ken one has finished school now and another has quallified for Aus study.Lightens the load on my wallet a bit.

Gazz
Old 08-10-2006, 11:22 AM
Apocrisiary (Michael)

I think I might Gazz. I thought it would be easier to use than many other telescopes. I dont think I need an EQ mounted scope as I will just be eyeballing. Besides anything over 6" on EQ looks like a job to set up and pack away. The 16" even looks like the eyepiece would be at a reasonable height for most observing. From what I've seen at open nights even an 8" dob looks like a back breaker or a knee scraper.
There are only 2 things that bother me...the weight and the wait.
Old 08-10-2006, 07:45 PM
rmcpb (Rob)
Compulsive Tinkerer

Apo,

Don't even think about is as a starter scope. Go for an 8-10" for your first scope, learn to handle it then progress. The 16" is a monster that will need experience to handle and enjoy.

Start smaller then progress, remember, the best scope is the one you use the most and a 16" monster is not a grab and go by any stretch of the imagination.

BTW Welocme to IIS
Old 08-10-2006, 08:27 PM
janoskiss (Steve H)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apocrisiary
From what I've seen at open nights even an 8" dob looks like a back breaker or a knee scraper.
That's cos you haven't seen my 8" Dobs yet! The regular 8" f/6 GSO is very easy grab and go. All it needs is a couple of well placed handles on the either side of the mount for grabbing, lifting ... and going. I grab and go with it down a flight of stairs to the backyard no probs. OTOH a 6" on an EQ is a two-trip job.
Old 08-10-2006, 10:22 PM
JethroB76 (Jeff)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff
I built a setting circle on the 10 inch Dob mount and an inclinometer on the tube. Using the Laptop with a red screen, and with Starry night, I can find anything within the capabilities of the scope. When properly set up, I look up the Alt Az of an object and move the scope to those settings and most times the object is in the field of view of the 32 mm eyepiece or very close.
Hi Geoff, if you're able could you post a pic or two, and perhaps some details of the inclinometer that you have used in your setup?
I have read on CN about such a setup but would be interested in your take on it.
Cheers,
Jeff
Old 11-10-2006, 09:51 AM
CoombellKid

Quote:
Originally Posted by ving
i'd probably just go standard plossls if i bought the 16"... getting good wide fields would be too expensive.
I have had a small/cheap Saxon 8" for a few years now, Yup! I'm well
into apperture fever, But I found out from the start what the investment
in good premium ep's are like. So the last few years I have been slowly
plugging away at the Ep's I wont. I figure you will probably change scope
more than you really want to be on the never ending trading/buying/selling
ep I see people do. It just seem a waste... I found what I wanted and I
saved until I got it. even if that meant $20.00 away each week, but I still
got want I wanted. It worth it Ving to go the extra mile, a good ep you'll
have for life and it'll work in anything.

Most folks dont want to look in an 8" scope, but they will when they see a
XW or a T5 sitting in there. And I'm very much looking forward to using
them in a 16"+ scope.

regards,CS sunny days

Rob
Old 11-10-2006, 10:15 PM
AstroJunk (Jonathan)
Shadow Chaser

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmcpb
Don't even think about is as a starter scope. Go for an 8-10" for your first scope, learn to handle it then progress. The 16" is a monster that will need experience to handle and enjoy.
My 20" is the easiest telescope I've ever used - I know it's counter intuitive, but the dobsonian design seems to work better with a little weight behind it. I can't speak for the quality of the Meade of course, but if it comes in under $3000 it will be a bargain even if it needs tweaking. No problem for a beginner - don't waste money on a smaller telescope if you've already got 'the feaver'.

Lot's of people sell smaller scopes for larger, but only a few go the other way!

The only issue will be moving it outside, and only then if you have to strip it down every time...
Old 12-10-2006, 08:59 PM
mickoking
Vagabond

Quote:
Originally Posted by AstroJunk
No problem for a beginner - don't waste money on a smaller telescope if you've already got 'the feaver'.
I think thats a good piece of advice. But I would like to add, get a second smaller scope as well for when you can't be botherd setting up a large instrument.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AstroJunk
Lot's of people sell smaller scopes for larger, but only a few go the other way!
Tell me about it. I went from large to smaller telescope, not one of my better moves
Old 13-10-2006, 01:30 PM
janoskiss (Steve H)

I've split the debate about SCTs Newts and COs to a new thread: http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/s...ad.php?t=14102
Old 13-10-2006, 09:12 PM
rmcpb (Rob)
Compulsive Tinkerer

I know plenty of people who have larger size scopes and often its too much trouble to set them up for a quick look, hence the recommendation to have a smaller scope for that grab and go time.
Old 18-10-2006, 02:35 PM
Don Pensack

16" reflector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff
Hi All,
I heard rumors that a 16 inch DOB will be available soon ie Guan Sheng?.
Has anyone any info on this?
It would be 2.5 times the apature of my 8 inch!
Cheers
Geoff
Geoff, aperture (note spelling) increase is by area.
A 16" has 4X the light gathering of an 8".
That's WAY more than a magnitude gain (which is 2.5X) on an 8".
One and two magnitude gains from an 8" base are approximately at 12.5" and 20" apertures.
Be warned, though, that a 16" scope, even a truss tube, is a heavy scope, and difficult to move by yourself.
Don
Old 21-10-2006, 03:50 AM
Gargoyle_Steve (Steve)
Space Explorer

Just confirming details : I spoke to someone at Bintel yesterday (Friday) and they have already placed their initial order for the 16" Lightbridge, arrival expected late January, possibly early February, price $2995. By the sounds of it they have ordered stock well above the number required to fill existing customer orders, ie should be spares available if you haven't ordered yet!
Old 21-10-2006, 06:33 AM
xstream (John)
Grey Nomad

I now see Andrews Communication have theirs advertised at $2499, in the latest S&S.

But still know indication of what it will look like
Old 29-10-2006, 09:32 PM
chrissara

It is a truss dob according to Lee - 3 poles - I think straight, unlike the Meade which has the cross over type poles.
Old 29-10-2006, 09:42 PM
spacezebra (Petra)
Lost in Namibia

Interesting, would like to see it in action.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrissara
It is a truss dob according to Lee - 3 poles - I think straight, unlike the Meade which has the cross over type poles.
Cheers Petra
Old 29-10-2006, 09:57 PM
spudrick

email from Lee re: 16"
Hi Terry,
Yes, I saw it when I visited GSO about 10 days ago. It's very impressive - far more than even the 12" Dob! It's also very substantial and well-balanced - quite smooth to use. Jim Sheng says shipping will commence to Australia late December/early Jan - which means Jan/Feb delivery by seafreight.

Regards,
Lee Andrews. www.andrewscom.com.au

I asked for phtos but did not get a reply on that!
Old 30-10-2006, 05:51 AM
CoombellKid

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrissara
Makes me wonder how rigid the three pole setup will be. I would think
(being a rigger) with no other bracing there will be some flex, unless
the poles a rather thick and of tubular design even then it wont be
too hard to get some flex. But I suppose we'll have to wait and see.

regards,CS sunny days

Rob
Old 30-10-2006, 07:53 PM
chrissara

I hope Lee doesn't mind me posting here but this was his reply:

Delivery will be late Jan or early Feb., according to Jim Sheng of Guan Sheng Optical when I saw him in Taiwan a few weeks ago. I also saw the GSO 16" Dob. there and it is of a truss tube design, having three straight vertical tube supports. These are the same oval aluminium "TPL" tubes which as used the tripod legs with Guan Sheng's SkyView 2 equatorial mount.This is GSO's general export version. The Meade version will be a6 tube zig-zag truss tube design - same as the smaller aperture Dobs.
Weight is unknown at the moment, but it seems a fair bit heavier than their 12" Dob. and I'm told it will be packed into two boxes, with the main box being about the same volume/shape as for their 12" Dob.
Price will be a little higher at $2699, as Jim told me first-up that his raw material costs have increased a lot of the past few months due to the Chinese mainland's insatiable demand for such materials - and energy.

I also meant to say that the 16" Dob is unlike the smaller ones from GSO (which Meade also sells) in that it is much larger, much heavier, much more substantial overall - and it does feel much smoother and better balanced when moving the tube around. It looks and feels "professional" in every way.

Yes, there is a large knob at the top and bottom of each of the three "TPL" vertical truss support oval tubes, so it can indeed be disassembled in a matter of minutes.
In fact, that would take less time than GSO's Meade version because my (general export) version has six tubes, even though it still has the same number of knobs - six - I think.
It is essentially the same telescope as GSO's Meade version, aside from the truss tube set-up and the differing optional inclusions, such as finderscope, eyepieces and so on, all of which vary from importer to importer, as to what they feel is best for their market at the time and so on...
I haven't finalised those optional inclusions with Jim, yet. However, be assured it will be optioned to the highest spec. possible - and at no extra cost to you, of course, Chris. I really don't want to offer a low (accessories) spec. version of this magnificent telescope at all.
Old 30-10-2006, 08:56 PM
janoskiss (Steve H)

Wait and see I guess.

I myself am thinking of replacing both my 8 and 12" GSO Dobs with just one 10" f/5 Dob. But the 10" would still have to be grab-n-go-able in one piece like my 8" is, which might be too much to ask from a 10" scope. And a long way down the track I might invest in a monster folded Newt on a Dob mount.

Quote:
I hope Lee doesn't mind me posting here but this was his reply: ...
I'm sure Mike will find out soon enough if Lee does mind, but my guess is that he was kind of hoping you would spread the word.