Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Talk
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-11-2013, 05:25 PM
deanm (Dean)

I read somewhere, somewhen, on IIS of a trick to reveal star colours in long-exposure star-trail photography.

Defocussing the image increases the apparent (but now unfocussed) star diameter - this reveals otherwise non-obvious colour.

It also preserves your field of view, which you otherwise lose by increasing ep magnification.

Try it & let us know how you go!

Dean

Last edited by deanm; 12-11-2013 at 05:28 PM. Reason: Spulling!
Old 12-11-2013, 05:37 PM
noeyedeer (Matt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by deanm View Post
I read somewhere, somewhen, on IIS of a trick to reveal star colours in long-exposure star-trail photography.

Defocussing the image increases the apparent (but now unfocussed) star diameter - this reveals otherwise non-obvious colour.

It also preserves your field of view, which you otherwise lose by increasing ep magnification.

Dean
thanks for the tip Dean! the week doesn't look good with rain and clouds predicted but will let you know.

I think I read the same tip while reading Comets and how to observe them. But never thought to apply to on observing the outer planets. (mainly because it was referring to magnitude estimates and defocusing to make a comparable star the same size as the coma etc)

thanks
matt

Last edited by noeyedeer; 12-11-2013 at 05:41 PM. Reason: added explanation for why it didn't occur to me to use defocusing
Old 13-11-2013, 06:37 AM
erick (Eric)
Starcatcher

Yep, it works a treat. Don't defocus too far however or they get too faint.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deanm View Post

Dean