Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Talk
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 20-06-2009, 06:01 PM
G1ZmO (Paul)

Stephen, Any of the freeware planetarium programs will show you where these objects are by doing a FIND in them. I'd suggest Stellarium or Cartes Du Ceil
Off the top of my head I can't answer on objects in the southern hemisphere as I've never been there yet but looking forward to our emigration to Oz next year

I'd agree that an 8" dob is a wonderful starter scope. Not much need to upgrade there if you're only doing visual stargazing as I do. (at least not until you get infected with the aperture bug lol)

All the best from cloudy Scotland!

Paul
Old 22-06-2009, 05:10 PM
stevoggo (Stephen)

got stellarium

Hi,
thanks I have downloaded stellarium...its brilliant...
And its looking quite clear here tonight...might see something good!
Only problem is all the different names for things...its easy to search m83 but i don't even know what 'the dust lanes" might be.
Any stellarium is great... and is going to be very helpful.
Cheers
steve
Old 22-06-2009, 05:14 PM
Jen
Moving to Pandora

yep i love Stellarium so does my 8 year old son he gets on the computer and plays around with it for ages
Old 22-06-2009, 11:30 PM
erick (Eric)
Starcatcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevoggo View Post

but i don't even know what 'the dust lanes" might be.
I suspect it was a reference to the dust cloud that surrounds M104 and therefore, since we observe it edge-on, forms a dark band across the major star clouds of that galaxy.

But if you want a challenge, search for a dark cloud in our own Galaxy - the Dark Doodad. It is in Musca, but needs dark skies and probably not much more that 10x or 12 binoculars to see. Search for threads on this site. It is marked on various star charts but may not be in Stellarium - I don't think I have looked there.
Old 23-06-2009, 11:42 AM
Tallstock (Peter)

The Dark Doodad thread says look around NGC 4372.
Stellarium v10.3 allows me to Search (F3) for NGC 4372 and centres on the object but there is no detail. Any ideas on why this might be?
Peter
Old 23-06-2009, 01:12 PM
erick (Eric)
Starcatcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallstock View Post
The Dark Doodad thread says look around NGC 4372.
Stellarium v10.3 allows me to Search (F3) for NGC 4372 and centres on the object but there is no detail. Any ideas on why this might be?
Peter
Yes, I've had this. Stars are straightforward, but I think many of the other objects require an image to see something on screen. However, Stellarium does know their location - it just cannot show you anything there! But it helps you work out the local starfield to help your starhopping.

Stellarium experts??

The various images in the threads and on the net show you its location.

I'm fairly sure it is shown in Sky & Telescope's Pocket Sky Atlas. I happily recommend this atlas to beginners anyway.

http://www.shopatsky.com/products/search/pocket+sky.htm

For a local cheap supplier:-

http://www.fishpond.com.au/advanced_...cket+sky+atlas
Old 26-06-2009, 06:44 PM
Rod66 (Rod)
Rod

Its Arrived!! My new love interest has come in from the Chinese Skywatcher Factory. Steve at My Astro Shop was very helpful and was very obliging as I rang every 2 hours of every day to check on when it might arrive. (free plug for Steve as he gave me a good deal)
These things are nice to put together.

Of course I can't use it yet because the weather has had a turn for the worst. I saw some clearer patches of sky through the clouds as I was driving home, but funnily enough since I've put the scope together the clouds have thickened up and its raining.. why do you think that is...

Anyway, hopefully tomorrow is good and I can catchup with Rob and get some viewing in to test her out.

So for the time being she sits in her dobsonian mount like a virgin telescope waiting to be broken in..

Rod
Old 27-06-2009, 12:03 PM
Jen
Moving to Pandora

Awsome Rod have fun with your new toy when the clouds finally go away