Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Talk
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-07-2006, 10:57 AM
janoskiss (Steve H)

Quote:
Originally Posted by smenkhare
so i can just take the dob scope off and put it on a different mount when i'm ready to move up?
You can move the OTA from between the two mounts as you like. Ving's 8" is looking good on an EQ: http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/s...ead.php?t=6156
Old 02-07-2006, 11:06 AM
astro_nutt

Quote:
Originally Posted by smenkhare
so i can just take the dob scope off and put it on a different mount when i'm ready to move up?
ok.
i'll look look at the 6inch Guan Sheng one.
Hi Smenkhare!!... good idea..with the dob mount you'll be able to move around the sky fast!..great for learning the patterns of stars which form the Constellations. A 6" is a good learning scope..and later you can set it up on a good sturdy EQ5 or EQ6, (should you update to a larger scope, say a 10" then this will save you buying another mount!), with the appropiate tube rings and adaptors!
Old 02-07-2006, 11:16 AM
smenkhare

Quote:
Originally Posted by astro_nutt
later you can set it up on a good sturdy EQ5 or EQ6, (should you update to a larger scope, say a 10" then this will save you buying another mount!), with the appropiate tube rings and adaptors!
EQ5? EQ6?
tube rings?
In english?? :-)
Old 02-07-2006, 11:32 AM
janoskiss (Steve H)

For photography you take your OTA (optical tube assembly or simply the telescope tube) and stick it in tube rings which you attach to a dovetail plate which goes on an EQ mount.
Old 02-07-2006, 11:37 AM
astro_nutt

Oooops!..sorry Smenkhare..an EQ5 or EQ6 is a heavy-duty German equatorial type mount on top of a tripod, (you'll find them advertised in the astro mags). This type of mount, when proplerly set up, will allow you to track celestial objects either by hand operated slow-motion controls, or with a motorised unit. This would be preferred for astrophotography. To convert a dob optical tube to fit an EQ mount, a pair of rings clamped around the tube is then fitted to a dove-tail mounting plate then attached to the top of the mount. Again, check out the mags and see how it looks.
A lot of guys in the astrophotgraphy section use a type of EQ mount, some have even engineeered and built their own! Cool stuff!