Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Talk
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 21-08-2009, 11:46 AM
erick (Eric)
Starcatcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianF View Post
Never. I think I have asked questions on here that have been asked 1000's of times before and knowledgeable people on this forum will answer the same questions 1000's of times more.

Adrian
Mind you, they are 1000 different answers!
Old 21-08-2009, 11:48 AM
erick (Eric)
Starcatcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by renormalised View Post

and that is to get a camera like a GStar and connect it up to your scope.
And, as I understand it, they can be set to integrate the signal for different periods of time, so you will see, on the screen, fainter objects that you can see through the eyepiece. Even things that are hard to see in light-polluted areas can be pulled out of the light pollution. Is that the experience, guys?
Old 21-08-2009, 12:05 PM
renormalised (Carl)
No More Infinities

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by erick View Post
And, as I understand it, they can be set to integrate the signal for different periods of time, so you will see, on the screen, fainter objects that you can see through the eyepiece. Even things that are hard to see in light-polluted areas can be pulled out of the light pollution. Is that the experience, guys?
Yep, you can routinely see objects you'd never hope to see yourself by eye alone in the ep'. Some you may get with averted vision but many will be beyond that. A Gstar will pull a lot of stuff out of the light pollution, but with the right combo of filters and such, the results are even better.
Old 21-08-2009, 12:27 PM
AdrianF (Adrian)
Currently Scopeless

Quote:
Originally Posted by erick View Post
Mind you, they are 1000 different answers!
Wouldnt have it anyother way. At least I dont end up with a narrow minded view............

Adrian
Old 24-08-2009, 08:19 PM
Mike21 (Michael)

Repetition is also an excellent way to learn things. You're just not gunna learn a lot of stuff without revision.
Old 09-09-2009, 02:13 PM
Shep

Well....after all the advice and reading and looking I finally bought one today! I got the Celestron Astromaster 130EQ for $599. I looked at 10" Dobs because everyone here seems to like them so much but I so wouldnt be able to manage one of those haha they almost look bigger than me and I really wanted something I would be able to lift and set up without having to hassle anyone for help with. Thankyou so much to everyone here with your encouraging words and support, I was almost convinced it would be a no go with my neck but so far this feels quite comfortable. Anyway just thought I'd let you all know i'm ready and armed and look forward to joining in in the forum now that i'm started!
Old 09-09-2009, 02:50 PM
sheeny (Al)
Spam Hunter

Congrats, Sarah!

You're on the slippery slope now...

Al.
Old 09-09-2009, 05:10 PM
chrisp9au (Chris)
Hitchhiker

Congratulations Sarah,

The first accessory you should consider buying for that new scope is a comfortable observing chair.
If you are not comfortable, your observing suffers! You really do see more if you're sitting!
The chair doesn't have to be expensive, it just has to be the right height to cover most of your viewing positions.
There are all sorts of observing chairs around, from the really expensive ones down to home made ones.
Mine? a second hand Ikea stool, bought on eBay for $30, exactly the right height, light but solid. Saves me a lot of pain later on in the night.

Enjoy your new scope!

Cheers
Chris
Old 09-09-2009, 05:45 PM
Shep

Thanks guys. I've been trying to will the afternoon to go faster...cant wait to get it out in the dark!
Old 09-09-2009, 06:32 PM
renormalised (Carl)
No More Infinities

Smile

If it's still a problem for your neck, observing with your scope, after awhile, you can get around that by grabbing yourself a GStar EX camera and a laptop (if you have one). That way, you can use the lappy to observe the objects onscreen. Plus you can take piccies at the same time

Just noticed I'd posted this exact same response about a fortnight ago
Old 09-09-2009, 06:38 PM
Shep

Yeah...I saw your earlier posts. How much is a set up like that worth? (if you dont mind sharing)
Old 09-09-2009, 06:55 PM
renormalised (Carl)
No More Infinities

Smile

Well, if you go here....MyAstroShop, you can see what you get. You can also get the wireless transmitter for an extra $110, which is better than having heaps of cables lying about.

Also, here's a couple of charts for around 9pm tonight, from Cairns. They're looking towards Cygnus, Sagittarius/Capricorn and towards the SMC (Small Magellanic Cloud).
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (tonight9-9-09.jpg)
144.0 KB7 views
Click for full-size image (tonight9-9-09B.jpg)
138.9 KB5 views
Click for full-size image (tonight9-9-09C.jpg)
127.4 KB4 views

Last edited by renormalised; 09-09-2009 at 07:12 PM.
Old 09-09-2009, 09:34 PM
Shep

Ok...i'm having a little trouble trying to get my scope working well, ive spotted a few stars but i think the moon will be a good start when it rises....does anyone know what time that should be tonight? It was up this time a couple of nights ago because I watched it rise and it was a beautiful huge harvest moon. Thanks so much for those charts too
Old 09-09-2009, 09:40 PM
jjjnettie (Jeanette)

Hi Sarah,
Just have a look at the moon image on the left hand side of this page. It has the rise and set times there.
Old 09-09-2009, 10:47 PM
Shep

I saw the moon .....WOW!!!!!!! I could see the craters, i could see little flashing green and red bits near alot of the craters too, does anyone know what they are?
Old 09-09-2009, 11:02 PM
renormalised (Carl)
No More Infinities

Never seen anything like that near craters...not in all the time I've looked at the Moon. Might just be some optical effect caused by humidity, air currents in the tube of the scope, or rarely, LTP's (Lunar Transient Phenomena), which is outgassing from fractures in the Moon's surface of radioactive gases.
Old 09-09-2009, 11:11 PM
jjjnettie (Jeanette)

That called chromatic aberration, or CA for short.
The eyepiece that came with your scope isn't made of the highest quality glass.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chromatic_aberration
There is also Atmospheric Aberration. That's what causes bright stars, when they are close to the horizon, to twinkle madly, changing colour from red to blue to green to white to red. Very pretty really. AA happens because you are looking at that star through a lot of atmosphere and smog. Stars are always sharpest when they are straight above your head.
Old 09-09-2009, 11:11 PM
Shep

Was anyone else watching the moon tonight? Didnt anyone else see them? Now I feel like a crazy person lol I had someone else with me, they couldnt see it at first but I insisted and then they saw it too. It stayed in the same spots on the moon no matter our focus or if we changed the scope, it was pretty cool though, I dont know the actual part of the moon but looking through my view (with it upside down or back to front or whatever it is) there were 3 large craters at the bottom edge of the moon and just above those craters and to the right a bit in all the smaller dints, thats where the sparkles were. The moon is like a harvest moon here tonight so maybe its just where I am? Sorry i'm all new to this and dont want to sound too much like a numptie lol
Old 09-09-2009, 11:12 PM
erick (Eric)
Starcatcher

Sarah, were you looking at the Moon soon after it rose, close to the horizon? If so, I think you were just seeing effects of all the air that the Moonlight was passing through. Have another look when it is higher in the sky and see if the colours are no longer seen.
Old 09-09-2009, 11:16 PM
erick (Eric)
Starcatcher

Try to point your telescope at the brightest thing in the sky apart from the Moon. It should be almost directly above you, That is Jupiter. You should see its four moons in a line with it - three on one side and the fourth on the other side. Maybe you will see a couple of dark cloud bands across Jupiter's surface?