Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Talk
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 20-03-2011, 06:56 AM
ZeroID (Brent)
Lost in Space ....

Hey Paul, Re your stray light problem. Why not put your pier in the best possible site for sky views then make up some simple light shields, black plastic over a pair of frames or something for the time being. One day you will probably put an ob over it all and cut out the low level stuff. I would say it was more important to get your best sky coverage first then find solutions to the light. With 44 acres to choose from I'd be thinking a bit long term although you can move or make another pier one day if it comes to that.
Old 20-03-2011, 09:28 AM
The_bluester (Paul)

Really, to get the best skies, I need to set up a long way from the house. I can probably do that if I really get keen enough but I would have to pinch a bit of paddock and build an observatory of sorts so that the scope could remain out there most of the time. Lugging it a couple of hundred meters across muddy paddocks in winter is not an attractive thought. If nothing else I would stand a fair chance of upending myself in the mud and doing damage to the scope.

In one spot if I built a proper observatory with walls tall enough I could block out most light from the road, but them I loose the horizon. I reckon I could get myself views down to about ten or twenty degrees off the horizon in nearly all directions out in the paddock.

I think if I go ahead I may be best though to just set up a pier near the house to begin with, then look at building a shed with a roll off roof after that. Biggest problem is vehicle traffic around the house though, if I put it too far from the garage someone is likely to reverse into the pier!
Old 20-03-2011, 10:49 AM
GrampianStars (Rob)
Black Sky Zone

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_bluester View Post
Really, to get the best skies, I need to set up a long way from the house. ....... Lugging it a couple of hundred meters across muddy paddocks in winter is not an attractive thought. If nothing else I would stand a fair chance of upending myself in the mud and doing damage to the scope......
I used a garden cart for over a year as my Obs is out in the Alpaca paddock
You can get em from the big "B" or "M" warehouse or knock up a quick one from scrap wood
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (Cart.jpg)
5.0 KB11 views
Old 20-03-2011, 01:48 PM
The_bluester (Paul)

Hmmm. Making the decision harder! If I used the paddock with the best views it is still a bit far (COuple of hundred meters from the house and through several paddocks. But I could possibly justify an obs in the next one closer, still gets views down to the horizon in most directions and with an observatory like yours, I could lift the wall height up high enough to block car headlights to a large degree.

But the option to have it next to the house is still nice, access to amenities and so on. Decisions, decisions.
Old 21-03-2011, 11:32 AM
ZeroID (Brent)
Lost in Space ....

You don't really go down the horizon. The air is far too thick there and turbulent. Most of my viewing is above 30 degrees and preferably higher. I find a good view to the SCP is far more important as everything revolves around that and evntually it will be a better position.
I have no view to the east, blocked by trees but the CBD glow is there so I don't care. My views are Sth and west with some northern and NW sky for zenith. A decent portable mount is a good start, even in an ob. If I can get my imaging technique down to half way decent I will probably look for an EQ5 or HEQ5 Pro second hand. My cruddy GEM is driving me nuts and I have a useful location in the back yard but I suspect I'd need to move it for some situations.