Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Talk
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 19-06-2013, 11:28 AM
glend (Glen)

Transporting a 12" Dob?

What do people use to transport a larger Dob around? I'm not talking about at home, where I use a balloon tyre hand truck, but if your going to move something approaching 50kg all up to a remote location. I have a camper trailer and the original shipping box for the tube, so it's possible I might be able to break it down and get it inside the camper but is there a better way - it won't fit inside the 4WD. What do people use?
Old 19-06-2013, 01:40 PM
pixelsaurus (Mike)

I can get mine into the back of a Toyota Corolla Station Wagon, just.
Old 19-06-2013, 01:42 PM
Pi

I put my 12" GSO dob OTA back in its original packaging and it fits perfectly into my Toyota Camry Wagon boot if I put one side of the backseat down. The base lays down on the other side of the boot and I place all my doodads inside the base.
Old 19-06-2013, 04:58 PM
barx1963 (Malcolm)
Bright the hawk's flight

I had a little Astra wagon and had no probs fitting my 12" GSo dob in it.

Malcolm
Old 19-06-2013, 06:06 PM
big_dav_2001 (Davin)

Great question... I've got a 12" which won't fit into my Kia Rio... I'm looking at getting a newer car soon, so I'll be following this thread closely to get some ideas too.

Davin
Old 19-06-2013, 09:18 PM
glend (Glen)

Thanks for the replies so far. Even though I have a Jeep Cherokee the rear cargo barrier prevents putting the tube inside, although I could probably get the base and box in the back. So a trailer or the camper seem to be my only options for the tube.

Is anyone using a trailer and if so what precautions are needed re the rougher ride?
Old 19-06-2013, 10:13 PM
AG Hybrid (Adrian)
A Friendly Nyctophiliac

My 12" Skywatcher-Flextube fits into my Corolla easy. Room to spare for 3 extra chairs, a table, all my observing accessories, a picnic basket and one person comfortably in the front passenger seat.
Just got to drop the back seats.
Old 19-06-2013, 10:29 PM
barx1963 (Malcolm)
Bright the hawk's flight

I will clarify about getting my old 12" in my old wagon. I had to put the back seats down and the base just fitted in. The tube easily fitted in even when mounted on the modded hand trolley I made.
With a solid tube dob I think you would struggle with a sedan or small hatch.

Cheers

Malcolm
Old 20-06-2013, 08:51 PM
Yogie-One (Paul)

Transporting a 12" Dob?

I transport my 12" by putting the tube in the boot (just), and the base unit on one of the back seats, with a seat belt strapped around it. On the other back seat, I fit my cases with eye pieces, filters and other necessities. In the boot alongside the OTA, I fit a cricket players type home made zipped bag with other necessities, alongside my trolley which breaks down into 3 parts for easier storage and transport. Anything left over, I fit onto the front seat. Hence I very rarely take the wife, (She refuses to go as she states quite clearly that she is NOT interested). Oh, and by the way, I used to drive a Mitsubishi, and now a Commodore Omega. Both cars I stacked the same.

Y.O. (YogieOne) Paul
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (IMG_1611-S.jpg)
79.7 KB52 views
Click for full-size image (IMG_1618-S.jpg)
57.9 KB56 views
Old 21-06-2013, 01:03 AM
noeyedeer (Matt)

if I ever have the opportunity to own a big scope, too big to fit inside the car, I'd probably go roof racks with some type of pvc tubing or similar, lined with plenty of foam to slip the OTA in.

1500mm should fit across the backseat of my HR ...just.

matt

Last edited by noeyedeer; 21-06-2013 at 01:19 AM.
Old 21-06-2013, 09:30 AM
Max Vondel (Peter)
Time Traveller

I use a Mazda Tribute for my astronomical travels.
And often take out the 12" Dob.

Fits easily in the back with 1 seat down and the base in the back.
But I have also traveled with the OTA on the roof bars using kayak wedges to hold it in place.

And have fitted custom handles on both the OTA and the base for easy transport and setup.

I prefer solid tube to trusses and poles

"....less setup time.....and dismantling time = More time observing + More motivation to setup when conditions are not perfect."

Depends on your lifestyle....this one works for me
Old 21-06-2013, 03:30 PM
Yogie-One (Paul)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Vondel View Post

But I have also traveled with the OTA on the roof bars using kayak wedges to hold it in place.

And have fitted custom handles on both the OTA and the base for easy transport and setup.

"....less setup time.....and dismantling time = More time observing + More motivation to setup when conditions are not perfect."

Depends on your lifestyle....this one works for me

Apart from the small extra weight, which isn't much, as compared to the trusses, and probably a little less than the solid tube, I have the Collapsible 12inch Dob, which allows very tiny setup time for the OTA. This gives a little extra spare space, when loading into the vehicle, as the tube is shortened to fit into transport and storage. Hence almost no setup time, and as of yet, I haven't had to adjust the culmination settings. (Although I haven't used it many times due to cloud etc.)

Y.O. (YogieOne) Paul

Last edited by Yogie-One; 21-06-2013 at 03:43 PM. Reason: correction
Old 23-06-2013, 02:46 PM
davenn (Dave)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Vondel View Post

I would have thought there would have been too much jarring and vibration up on the roof-rack
Have always carried my OTA in the back of the car with lots of padding around it I have a deep fear of the optics being jarred out of collimation

Quote:
snip
yeah I have always preferred the solid tube as well

cheers
Dave
Old 23-06-2013, 11:25 PM
erick (Eric)
Starcatcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by glend View Post
Is anyone using a trailer and if so what precautions are needed re the rougher ride?
I used to carry my solid tube 12" GSO in a 6x4 trailer. All I did was put a piece of carpet in the bottom of the trailer, then put the scope on the two end pieces of foam out of the packing. Never had any trouble, even over dirt roads with corrugations. But I never went "off-road". Collimation was never much affected (but had much firmer primary mirror springs in place.).

I had to put a canopy over it since it was too tall to close the normal trailer lid. Made a mess of my fuel consumption :-(
Old 24-06-2013, 10:49 AM
glend (Glen)

Thanks Eric and the others,

I think my best solution is to put the tube in my camper trailer in the shipping box with the original shipping supports. It won't need covering inside the camper. I can't get the base inside the camper without disassembly so that can go in the back of the 4WD.

I might also upgrade the mirror springs to Bob's ones and carry a laser collimation EP with me.

I've also bought an Oztrail pop up 'Observatory' that the 12" Dob fits into very nicely, with plenty of room:
http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/Mzc5WDI5OA...L+Q~~60_35.JPG