Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Talk
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 30-04-2013, 01:58 PM
Suzy
Searching for Travolta...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThinBlueLine View Post
Ahhh, Suzy - what CAN I say to a welcome like that??!! Except a big thank you. Yep, another astro chick & a very happy one at that, to be here..

You are certainly 'one of a kind' and if aspire to be like any kind of role-model here on IIS, it would be you for sure, 10 times over!! Your enthusiasm, endless knowledge and infectious sense of humour are a true credit to the great person you are.

Hey, just had a brainwave - hows about a swap of your Hartung's for my shuttle USB?? It's ok - am only joking, you can pick yourself up off the floor now and sorry you banged your head, hehe!!!!! Seriously tho', thanks for the recommendations for other books in the more 'suitable' price range. Now on my shopping list.
I have a bad habit of always aiming for the top shelf without having considered the more down to earth options below, lol. (note to self, - stop showing off, you're still a newbie ! ) Need to put a rein on myself sometimes...

Thanks for the encouragement & tips re 10" Dob, sounds the way to go! And I have to admit here, rather sheepishly, that I have never had the thrill of actually looking through a telescope...how sad is that? Itching to do so, saving madly as we speak!
Terry L also said the 10" would be a good size, he has the next one up and still finds it a bit big size wise. (and he's over 6ft)

Looking for the M3 sounds good, need to get myself one of those you-beaut Cloudbusting machines like in Kate Bush's video of the same name, to blast those pesky clouds right out of the sky. (however I think it was a rain-making machine from memory!)

Thanks once again Suzy - you are a true inspiration!! ((hugs))

See you around..

Amanda.
Quote:
Hey, just had a brainwave - hows about a swap of your Hartung's for my shuttle USB?? It's ok - am only joking,
I was getting ready to tell you to take a hike

Thank you so much for those kind words, you're very sweet & it made me blush madly. Still learning myself though.
Okay must definitely get onto AS&T and get my subscription paid for so I can play with my new you beaut shuttle usb stick. *woooosh woooosh zooooooom* If the cat chews it there will be hell to pay.

The Hartungs book is more like an observing report- describing what each object looks like. What you need is more of a general guide as suggested in the Stars & Planets book which has basic/easy to understand maps (which Hartungs hasn't) & objects listed next to some basic details of importance- mag, spectra etc. and the introduction section at the beginning explaining how to navigate the sky is very good . The Hartungs has a good place however in describing the object so one knows what to look for in an object. Though Stephen O'Meara takes it up another notch- his books are a guide to observing- like a teaching book on what to look for.