Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Talk
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-09-2012, 07:38 PM
smithcorp (Brian)

A quick tour of some clusters

Noticed that the sky was quite clear last night, so tonight after dinner, the 7-year-old and I got the binoculars and telescope out for some clusters.

We started with the old favourite, the Jewel Box in Crux. We can both find that with our eyes closed now and despite the sky looking still fairly light, we got a nice clear sight of it through both devices.

Then, with the help of Stellarium, we found the Butterfly Cluster, M6. Almost directly overhead, so involved some contortions with the binos (there is just no way to make these comfortable when tilted too far up, even with the tripod) and the telescope to find it. Once 'on', it looked better through the 25mm telescope eyepiece than the more powerful 10mm one. Then across to M7 and again, better through the wider view.

Through our little 4.5" Dobsonian it was a noticeable cluster of stars, though without the incredible profusion you can see using Stellarium.

Still, we got in some nice viewing before a band of high cloud came over from the south. I dare say it would have been more spectacular later in the night.

Can't wait to get a 10" or so next!

smith
Old 10-09-2012, 08:10 PM
brian nordstrom (As avatar)

cool Smith , enjoy mate.
Sounds like you are having a ball .
Brian.
Old 10-09-2012, 08:54 PM
MattT
Reflecting on Refracting

Hi Brian and 7 year old!
To view overhead get a camp bed or banana lounge and lie down easy on the neck A 10" dob sounds just right too. Happy viewing.
Cheers Matt
Old 10-09-2012, 08:57 PM
Varangian (John)

The only thing better than clear skies and a scope is clear skies and a scope with your kids
Old 12-09-2012, 05:15 PM
Aidan (Aidan)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varangian View Post
The only thing better than clear skies and a scope is clear skies and a scope with your kids

I have a three year old and a one year old. The three year old correctly identified the Jewel Box the other night. Was amazing. She full on lost it seeing Saturn through the 10" dob. Was telling everyone for days Must get it from her mother.

The one year old is a bit young and spends her time drooling and making a mess, that she gets from my side.....
Old 13-09-2012, 08:32 AM
smithcorp (Brian)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aidan View Post
The three year old correctly identified the Jewel Box the other night.
That's very cool. My three-year-old liked seeing shooting stars, but she doesn't have the patience for looking through scopes yet.

Last night I was chuffed to eventually find Omega Centauri after about 15 minutes searching with map and binos. One downside of having a seven year old into astronomy is you have to do most of your stargazing before 8pm! So, the cluster was far from impressive in the binoculars, looking like a dust mote in the too-light sky. However, just the thought that this cluster had a million stars in it helped to keep her excitement levels up.

Unfortunately, her little tabletop dobsonian could really resolve anything with the 10mm eyepiece. Through the 25mm it looked just like a blur - impossible to focus. Probably just not dark enough.

However, it's definitely a cluster I'd likke to look at again, through a bigger scope. The plan in the school holidays is to get to the Sutherland club and get her joined up.

smith