Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Talk
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 25-06-2012, 10:44 AM
smithcorp (Brian)

Daughter's first skygazing experience - suggestions?

Hi all. First post here on this useful forum. My seven year old is developing a fascination with astronomy which I would like to nurture. My wife and I would like to take her somewhere out of Sydney so she can be amazed by a proper night sky.

Any suggestions for places not too far from Sydney (suitable for a weekend) where she can see a really dark sky would be much appreciated.

Also, I would appreciate any recommendation for a reasonable entry level pair of celestial binoculars and a tripod.

thanks in advance

smith
Old 25-06-2012, 11:23 AM
Allan_L (Allan)
Member > 10year club

Quote:
Originally Posted by smithcorp View Post
Hi all. First post here on this useful forum. My seven year old is developing a fascination with astronomy which I would like to nurture. My wife and I would like to take her somewhere out of Sydney so she can be amazed by a proper night sky.

Any suggestions for places not too far from Sydney (suitable for a weekend) where she can see a really dark sky would be much appreciated.

Also, I would appreciate any recommendation for a reasonable entry level pair of celestial binoculars and a tripod.

thanks in advance

smith

Hi Brian,
A group of Central Coast regulars go up to Bretti Reserve every few months for a camping/astronomy weekend.

It is a free camping area at the junction of the Barnard and Little Maitland (?) rivers.
You can go any time. There is a 30 Day limit to your stay.
It is free, and flat, and a nice outlook, but the only facilities are rubbish bins and drop toilets (maintained by local council).

It is located 32km past Gloucester on the Thunderbolt way.
Very nice area.

It can get busy in school holidays and warmer months, but there is plenty of room.

What we like about it is that the skies are very dark (best in the area) and there are no fixed lights.

Depending on your budget, a good set of binoculars for use in astronomy would be around 9x63 (9 x magnification; 63mm lens diameter).
I have a set of Orion mini giants with that configuration, and they are ideal. However, they cost me $350. I see they are on special at Bintel at the moment for $289.

My first set were cheaper zoom binos ($99 BCF). I would not recommend these for Astro, even though greater magnification, as it was like looking through a straw. They are OK for terrestrial use but.

Hope this helps.
Feel free to contact me for more info.

Also, you should consider going to one of the observing sites listed in the Star Parties forum on here. You are welcome to our gatherings at Mangrove Mountain when they are on. you don't even need to bring a scope, as there are always plenty of willing to share.

Last edited by Allan_L; 25-06-2012 at 11:28 AM. Reason: typos
Old 25-06-2012, 12:52 PM
smithcorp (Brian)

Thanks for the reply Allan and for the heads-up on the star parties forum. Any restrictions on kids at these - wouldn't want to annoy the adults!
Old 25-06-2012, 01:49 PM
DavidTrap (David)
Really just a beginner

You can also buy an adaptor that lets you mount a set of binoculars onto a normal tripod. Means your 7yo is not having to hold the weight of the binoculars and you can also help them to locate an object with some certainty. Bintel have one for $35, but I'm sure I paid less for mine (different to the one Bintel advertise)

Definitely don't go beyond 10x magnification for beginner binoculars.

There's also a book called "Heavens above, A binocular guide to the southern skies" by Robert Bee - $24 at Bintel. Very simple book that guides you through the constellations and teaches you how to star hop and locate the "faint fuzzies". In some ways, this can be easier from a "less dark" location as the brighter stars of the constellations are easier to spot, rather than being lost amongst the greater number of stars visible in less light polluted locations. I guess I'm just trying to suggest that you don't have to wait until you get out to dark skies before starting.

All the best.

DT
Old 25-06-2012, 02:49 PM
smithcorp (Brian)

Thanks David. We have done some stargazing from the backyard using my old 8x30s with limited success - fine for looking at the moon, but she's at the stage now that she wants to see more. She uses some free star mapping apps on my Galaxy Tab to search the sky and is fascinated by Saturn.

I am leaning towards the Andrews' 11x70 and a tripod adapter to take her the next step (think it would be suitable?) and I want to also show her how amazing the sky looks away from the lights of cities.

Thanks for suggestion of the Bee book - I will pick it up.

smith
Old 25-06-2012, 03:24 PM
syousef

Can't help you with dark skies. Best skies I ever saw were half way between Sydney And Ceduna in 2002 when I went down to the Eclipse. Hardly a weekend trip.

On binoculars
Tripod adapters go for $4 on Ebay.
A cheap large tripod goes anything between $30-$50.
Only one of my binocs cost me over $50. They are a compromise. Thread here about them:
http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/s...ad.php?t=92465

Of course, do not expect the quality you'd get out of a $300 pair, but all of them are usable. At this price point try them out in store. Quality control isn't going to be the best.
Old 25-06-2012, 04:42 PM
Suzy
Searching for Travolta...

There is a wonderful 5" table top dobsonian mountain telescope for sale here in the classifieds at the moment.

These are excellent for children and also as a quick grab'n'go scope. 5" of aperture will allow you to see a lot.

The only problem with binoculars mounted on a tripod is that I find they are only good up to about 45 deg, above that & it's just a case really of picking up the whole tripod and holding it. Holding the tripod is actually easier than holding the binos as it's steadier and therefore less shaky.

I got my adapter (metal too!) for the tripod for only $20 from Andrews Communications. They sell some well priced affordable binos too-it's where I got mine from and I'm very happy with them (Andrews brand).
Old 25-06-2012, 05:43 PM
Auspom (Scott)

can't help with the site or bins sorry. Just like to say how lucky you are that your little girl shows an interest. my kids would walk over broken glass in the opposite direction shouting "your so sad dad" ahhh, gotta love them
Old 25-06-2012, 07:59 PM
madwayne (Wayne)

Hi Brian

Sutherland Astronimcal Society (SASI - www.sasi.net.au) has a junior section which meets on the third Thursday of each month. The reason I mention this is our club has a semi dark site down at Waterfall in the Royal National Park. The club observes from there on the Saturday nights of the third quarter and new moon.

Your daughter will also meet other children her age who have an interest. I honestly don't know how the course runs but I am sure an email to our society will answer any questions that you may have.

Dark sites close to Sydney are rare. For a great dark site I can recomend Wollondilly River on the Wombeyan Caves Road. Drive through Mittagong, where the on ramp goes back on the highway at the south of Mittagong take the branch off to the right (the old Hume Highway). There is a right turn a couple of kms down the road to Wombeyan Caves. Wollondilly River campsite is a fair drive along there. It is rough bush camping but it is pretty cheap and the skies are inky dark.

I hope that insight gives you some assistance and I sincerely hope you and your daughter enjoy many many years under dark skies together.

Wayne
Old 25-06-2012, 08:03 PM
smithcorp (Brian)

Thanks Wayne (and auspom and others)!
Old 30-06-2012, 08:49 PM
smithcorp (Brian)

Well, thanks to Alex (mental4astro), we are the proud owners of a lovely little 5" scope on a nice home-made Dobsonian mount.

Tonight we checked out the moon before it got really dark and then once it was fully night, thanks to Alex's hints and Stellarium, we found Saturn and saw its rings! An amazing experience through such a little scope and my daughter was mesmerised. Unfortunately it soon clouded over and we had to pack up.

I'm taking her to the Observatory in the holidays and we have a weekend to Parkes planned soon (and staying on a farm which should be nice and dark) - she is loving this astronomy lark.

One question for those experienced folks - are there any special precautions I should take when bringing the scope inside to a warm house from the cold outdoors? I noticed it got some condensation on it straight away - should I wipe it down, or just let bit come to room temperature before covering it?

ta

smith
Old 30-06-2012, 08:57 PM
mental4astro (Alexander)
kids+wife+scopes=happyman

Put the lens cap on the eyepiece and replace the cover over the tube. This will prevent moisture from condensing on the inside and the optics.

You can wipe the tube if it is especially wet. If you've got a covered verandah, leave the scope on a secure place, like a table, and the condensate will evaporate soon.

I'm very pleased about your experience being a good one. Enjoy!

Mental.