Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Talk
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 25-03-2012, 03:29 PM
risingmoon (Sandra)

Red face misleading diagram

I think I made my diagram the wrong shape. My new one explains it more. I was out again last night (Saturday). The same formation was there and is very distinctly seen in the NW-W sky. I have drawn it the right shape this time so as not to confuse anyone.
The cluster and nebula I saw was at the bottom end of the 3 left hand side stars as I have drawn a circle on it with the shape of the nebula I saw approximately.

There were 3 other bright stars around the area as well as I have pointed their position.

I also saw a moving star which went across the sky from SE to SW direction. It took about 45 seconds to go from one end to the there and about 15 seconds from edge to edge of my eye piece. I had to move 4 times to trace it and then it went. It was moving too slowly for a falling star so don't know what it was.

I also saw another large cluster of stars with a huge nebula around it and not as distinctive as the other one but it was there. It was between the N and NE sky in a dark part where there were no visible stars but it was there and so large. This is so exciting and I can't wait till I get my 12mm eye piece. I looked through the 9mm at the first cluster/nebula and I could see it more closely but there was still a little wavering going on.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (star cluster with nebula.jpg)
106.9 KB77 views
Old 25-03-2012, 03:44 PM
kustard (Simon)
Great Sage == Heaven

Hi Sandra,

As I said on your other post, I really think you are looking at Orion and M42
Old 25-03-2012, 04:06 PM
Barrykgerdes

Hi Sandra
Your drawing is probaly the Orion constelation. The three larger stars in a row are Orion's belt and the three smaller diagonal ones are his sword (all upside down to us in the southern hemisphere). It is probably the most easily recognized star formation along with the Southern Cross.

The centre "star" of the three (circled) of the sword is the M42 nebula. Through a telescope this will resolve into seven bright new stars. four in the shape of a trapezium and called The Trapezium with the other three in a line pointing towards it.

Just bellow Orion would have been Aldebaran

To the lower west of the this constellation you may have seen another fuzzy starcluster/nebula. This would have probably been the Plaides ,M45 or the 7 sisters a lovely open cluster with lots of nebulosity.

All these are well visible to the naked eye and will look spectacular even through a pair of binoculars.

The picture is a screen capture at about 7 PM tonight from Stellarium you should be able to recognise what you saw from this.

Barry
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (stellarium-000.jpg)
57.2 KB42 views

Last edited by Barrykgerdes; 25-03-2012 at 04:34 PM.
Old 25-03-2012, 07:46 PM
Ausrock (Chris)

Sandra,

I happened to be looking at Orion through binoculars last night and I have to agree with the other comments, your diagram definitely looks like "the saucepan" in Orion. Also, I happened to check something on Stellarium and if it is as accurate as I believe, there were a couple of satellites passing throgh the general area which could account for your "moving star".
Old 27-03-2012, 12:50 PM
The_bluester (Paul)

To copycat on what others have posted. Your drawing certainly looks like Orion to me.

Regards the moving object. Since getting back into the hobby a year or so ago and with a scope that makes extended observing easy (Celestron CPC925) I have been astounded how often Satellites pass through the field of view, even quite late at night when they are a long way from naked eye visible. It is rare for any decent length observing session to not have at least one. It just goes to show how much stuff the human race has put in orbit!