Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Talk
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-03-2012, 07:21 PM
JuniorAstro (Jason)

Some good Dub 8" Accessories?

Hey everyone, got my Dub. 8" late last year and I'm interested in making some purchases, I have $350 and was wondering what are some nice things to have that make viewing more enjoyable?

All I have to go with my scope is a 25mm and 10mm lenses, I look to go into Astrophotography in the future so if some small purchases can be done now to make it cheaper later on would be great!

Thanks everyone

-Jason
Old 11-03-2012, 08:50 PM
2stroke (Jay)
The devil's advocate

I would grab a 2x barlow and a 15mm eyepiece. It really depends on your level of intrest and devotion and how much you plan to invest in it. For me I would put that whole amount in a 2 inch barlow and it would see many years of use and enjoyment, it would also be ideal for astrophotography work. You could also get a celestron nextimage camera, phillips tucam or eyepiece projection adaptor for a webcam for plantery imaging you could do with your dob. A laser collimator really should be the first thing if you haven't got one.
Old 11-03-2012, 10:23 PM
Forgey (Paula)

Yep, first thing you need to get is a collimator if you haven't already got one and i would invest in a nice widefield eyepiece and enjoy the views.
$350 wont go far for astrophotography thats where you start putting a second mortgage your house.
Old 11-03-2012, 10:24 PM
barx1963 (Malcolm)
Bright the hawk's flight

A Barlow is not a bad idea as it effectively doubles the range of your existing eyepieces. IMHO the eps that come with these scopes are of pretty average quality. If I had $350 I would look at a good quality shorter EP, a 9 or 11mm nagler is still under the limit and will be an investment in quality observing that wil last a lifetime.

With regard to a laser collimator, on an 8" it probably is a bit of overkill. I found that a simple collimating cap worked just as well. Lasers really come into their own at 12"+.

Another thought is investing in some good observing guides and charts. Night Sky observers Guide, Sky Atlas 2000 or Uranometria are all great value.

Malcolm
Old 11-03-2012, 10:47 PM
omegacrux (David)

Hi Jason
Solar film is another option with the eclipse and the transit coming up ,and it doesn't cost much , I had an 8inch Dob there a good scope enjoy it !
Old 12-03-2012, 02:27 AM
wavelandscott (Scott)
Plays well with others!

I would suggest a good comfortable adjustable height chair.

For me, this made a much bigger impact on my enjoyment in my viewing than any other accessory for my 8 inch dobsonian mounted reflecting telescope.
Old 13-03-2012, 05:59 PM
JuniorAstro (Jason)

Thanks everyone for the reply's, very helpful. I shall go out on saturday to my local store and have a browse with all your suggestions in mind!!

-Jason