Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Talk
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 27-02-2012, 06:40 PM
barx1963 (Malcolm)
Bright the hawk's flight

Hi there Pupkin and welcome to IIS!
The Southern Hemisphere is the place to be for observing. If you want bright starsnearly all the brighter stars are visible from here in Australia at the moment.
Without gicing a great deal of thought I can name Sirius, Canopus, Alpha and Beta Centauri, Aldabaran, Rigel, Betelguese, Procyon, Spica which are visible at the moment. Plus for deep space objects M42, Omega Centauri, 47Tucanae, the Tarantula Nebula, M104, M1, the Eskimo Nebula and Centaurus A all visible at the moment.
Lots of these are also visible in the North but IMHO the south is the place to be!!

Malcolm
Old 27-02-2012, 06:43 PM
barx1963 (Malcolm)
Bright the hawk's flight

Harley
The 90EQ1 is a small scope with limited aperture and an EQ mount. The optics are not badfrom what I have heard but small aperture immediately limts the scope to brighter objects. Also the EQ mount can be difficult to get used to as a beginners (I know, been there done that!)

Malcolm
Old 28-02-2012, 04:05 AM
Vasya Pupkin (Pupkin)

Thank you, Malcolm. I tried to find out, which of our stars and DSO objects you can see. Maybe, in the evening you can see our Castor/Pollux, I say it because I see them too.
But what about such DSO objects as Magellanic clouds. Some people call them a symbol of the South. Are they really visible (I can’t imagine it because they are in constellations that are rather faint and I can’t compare them with bright stars). Are there many such faint constellations in the South Hemisphere? Could you tell me, please.
Old 28-02-2012, 10:44 PM
barx1963 (Malcolm)
Bright the hawk's flight

Yes we can see Castor and Pollux at the moment. The Magellenic clouds are easy to see from my house, but I do suffer from a bit of light pollution. At a dark site they are really easy. Last Friday night you could pick out the Tarantula Neb, or at least the area that contains it within the LMC with the naked eye when I was at the Club site I sometimes visit.
We can also see Centaurus A (NGC 5128) with the naked eye when it is really clear, I managed a glimpse on Friday night, so here in the south we can see 3 galaxies with a scope!

Malcolm
Old 29-02-2012, 04:52 AM
Vasya Pupkin (Pupkin)

Excuse me, but I have some other questions. I found out that in autumn you can see our Cygnus. I know, such objects are as difficult to see for us as difficult for us see your Lepus. But have you ever seen it? Some people from your forum say that it’s one of the prettiest constellation of the North. And (it is even more difficult to see) what about Andromeda Galaxy? Maybe, the necessity of Spiral galaxies explains existing the Sculptor Galaxy on the main page of site. These objects of the north hemisphere are definitely difficult, but have you?
By the way, I have heard that Canberra is rather a little city. Does it really have such annoying light pollution (I understood that you work with a telescope, don’t you)?