Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Talk
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-11-2011, 09:39 PM
Keltik (Trevor)
Canis Major, Canis Minor

Hello from a new member...

Hi all, I've been reading IIS for a while but thought I'd better join up, especially as I took the plunge today and picked up a 16" Lightbridge from Bintel in Camberwell...quite a good deal, they are throwing in a free set of eyepieces and filters in a nice aluminium case. The offer is valid to the end of December if anyone is interested.
My previous astronomy consisted of building my own 6" Dob, which gave me many years of backyard pleasure (best memory:the impact scars of Shoemaker-Levy on Jupiter!) til a slip in the workshop saw me drop the primaryand a big chunk came off the back. The reflective surface was undamaged, but I think the expansion qualities would be decidedly weird after that, so I abandoned the 6" and stuck to binocular astronomy for a while.
About two years ago they shut the local Dick Smith store and amongst the pile of bargains was a 5" Celestron reflector and tripod for the amazing sum of $120. I've been using it for the Moon and Jupiter, but I've been pondering something a little bigger for quite some time...hence the LightBridge today.
Just put it together this afternoon, quite simple and relatively intuitive, despite a couple of mistakes in the instruction book...I also bought a Glatter collimator which was a breeze to use....had a quick peek at Jupiter with the supplied Meade 2" eyepiece, 25mm, and quite a good view despite some high cirrus (and me not being patient enough to let the mirror stabilise!)
I have to say that some of the entries in IIS on equipment have been most helpful and interesting, and reviews of the LightBridge helped me make up my mind. It's a pretty awesome scope, and I will need some work at the gym to cope with the lifting....but a big new scope is an exciting prospect. Hope to hear from fellow LB owners with their tips and tricks....
Old 12-11-2011, 10:05 PM
barx1963 (Malcolm)
Bright the hawk's flight

Nice scope! Those 16" scopes are getting to be great value these days. Essentially the same as the GSO and Bintel scopes these days. One suggestion I can make is invest in some Bobs Knobs, makes collimation a much easier process.

Hope to hear some nice reports about how it goes for you.

Malcolm
Old 12-11-2011, 10:20 PM
Keltik (Trevor)
Canis Major, Canis Minor

Hi Malcolm...I had read some reports in here about adding knobs, so I got a bit of a surprise when I unloaded the primary housing, to find six knobs on the underside of the mirror. Apparently my model is the "deluxe" version, it has 3 knobs for collimation and three to lock the setting. Another surprise was that the truss tubes were matte black instead of brushed aluminium....quite nice contrast to the white of the tube sections. Very pleased with it so far...
Old 12-11-2011, 10:23 PM
spacezebra (Petra)
Lost in Namibia

Welcome to IIS Trevor

I started with the 12LB and still have it! I removed the focuser and replaced it with a Moonlite, changed all the collimation bolts and replaced with Bob Knobs and now collimation is a breeze!. There are many LB users here in the forum that have gone beyond the simple mods that I have made and no doubt that will add to this thread.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Cheers Petra d.
Old 12-11-2011, 10:45 PM
barx1963 (Malcolm)
Bright the hawk's flight

Yes Trevor it will have collimation knobs, but they are usually not very good and the springs are a bit weak and do not hold collimation well.
Old 13-11-2011, 07:43 AM
Ric
Support your local RFS

Hi Trevor and welcome to IIS.

The 16" is is great size for viewing, I reckon you will have many a great hour under the stars.
Old 13-11-2011, 04:13 PM
Jen
Moving to Pandora

gday Trevor

to IIS nice buy, you should have plenty of years of enjoyment out of that scope
Old 13-11-2011, 05:57 PM
astroron (Ron)
Supernova Searcher

Trevor and I am a 16" owner,but it is a home built one I have had so many great nights with it over the last ten years
To me the 16" is the best scope for the money,not too Big,Not too Small but just right.
Just like Goldie locks
Cheers
Old 13-11-2011, 06:31 PM
Keltik (Trevor)
Canis Major, Canis Minor

Wow, thanks for the warm welcome, guys! Looking forward to adding my two penn'orth in the near future!
Old 13-11-2011, 06:34 PM
mishku

Hey Keltik,