Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Talk
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 14-07-2010, 09:55 PM
Hayley

packing for a feild trip!

Hi,
Off on my first field trip this weekend ( everything going well). And I'm wondering about the best way to pack my scope ( Skywatcher 114mm reflector, and tripod), I still have the box it came in, which is what I use at home. It is however not a hard case or anyhting is it a box with bubble wrap and that padded 'foam paper'. Any suggestions? Or any tips for my first trip.
Thank you!
Old 14-07-2010, 10:26 PM
Hayley

I should also point out that I'm trying to keep my kit small as posible as I'll be getting a lift from soneone who will have their own gear.
Old 15-07-2010, 01:47 AM
Octane (Humayun)
IIS Member #671

Hayley,

I would say that carefully bubble-wrapped and padded with extra scrunched up newspaper in a box would be fine. Doesn't necessarily have to be the one it came in, though. As long as you can fit it into something lengthwise, it should be OK.

Considering it's a reflector, you want to minimise any movement of the mirror. Otherwise, you'll have to spend some time collimating the optics to get the best views.

I hope you have clear skies, because, at the moment, it's pretty shoddy.

Good luck!

H
Old 15-07-2010, 09:36 AM
Omaroo (Chris Malikoff)
Let there be night...

Hayley - don't worry about it too much. The box that it came in was designed to carry it from manufacture to you - not an insubstantial trip. The mirrors in these small reflectors are small and relatively light, so they don't have the inertia to really go and throw themselves out of collimation too easily. I've had a spare 114mm newtonian bumping around, completely unpackaged apart from being in a plastic bag, on the floor of my car for months. I tried it out the other day and it's still in good collimation. Not recommended, mind you, but I had forgotten that it was there under a pile of other stuff. It just goes to illustrate that they are a little more robust than you might think.

Last edited by Omaroo; 15-07-2010 at 09:46 AM.
Old 15-07-2010, 12:11 PM
DavidTrap (David)
Really just a beginner

Set everything up before you go. Write down everything on a list. Then pack everything up into boxes/crates to make sure you don't forget anything. Check it all against the list as you pack the car. I speak with the benefit of hindsight - you can't cope without counterweights or bolts.

DT
Old 15-07-2010, 03:33 PM
Suzy
Searching for Travolta...

I wrap my tube up in a dooner and pack stuff around it in the boot so it can't move. Never had a problem on long bumpy drives with collimation issues, when I had my 6" (haven't taken my 10" out yet to comment).
Old 15-07-2010, 09:47 PM
Jen
Moving to Pandora

good luck with clear skies on your trip its looking pretty ordinary here
I have still got my original box my 6inch came in, that seems to do the trick, all though that box is slowly starting to fall apart
Old 17-07-2010, 11:09 AM
Piers

If you want to fork out the cash, invest in a pelican case, virtually indestructible!