Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Talk
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 15-05-2010, 12:02 AM
MrWombles (John)

Upgrading -And so it begins....Absolute Beginner !!

Hi everybody !

First of all - thankyou to all who write on these message boards as it has helped me greatly. I'd just like to share something that I'm sure a lot of you have experienced - Upgrading the scope.

The story begins with a Celestron Nexstar C8 (The very first !!) being my initial purchase. I always wanted a BIG scope because you see things better - Right??..mmm..(Big learning curve.

After going outside last week in what was the ONLY clear night in the last 2 weeks - I got to play with my new scope. Things I learnt in the first night were

1. How to collimate...not as bad as I thought - (ended up buying Bob's knobs over the net that night !!)
2. Dew..After things were going a bit blurry, I looked at the front lens and it looked like an elephant sneezed on it !! (Have ordered Kendrick Dew Heater controller - bands etc etc)
3. Focusing - Back - forward - back - forward -back - ah !! got it (Have now ordered feather touch)
4. Image shaking like crazy !! (Found that the mount if VERY average..upgrading mount very soon to EQ mount)

So overall - I have been drawn in. And the money is going on improvements (Upgrades !!) already - and this is only after having the scope for 2 weeks !!
Oh dear...what have I done...

Cheers !!
Old 15-05-2010, 12:24 AM
Suzy
Searching for Travolta...

Welcome to our world! don't bother closing your wallet, just a waste of time After last night in the cold, I now need a thermos (I'm sure that's a need ). And also a pair of gloves as my hands got frozen. The list just grows. Whenever I think I'm done... I'm so not . But you know what, it's fun isn't it?!
Old 15-05-2010, 12:24 AM
RB (Andrew)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWombles View Post
So overall - I have been drawn in. And the money is going on improvements (Upgrades !!) already - and this is only after having the scope for 2 weeks !!
Welcome to the money pit MrWombles.

Quote:
2. Dew..After things were going a bit blurry, I looked at the front lens and it looked like an elephant sneezed on it !!
LOL that's too funny....true....but funny.

Old 15-05-2010, 07:25 AM
Liz

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWombles View Post
Hi everybody !

I have been drawn in. And the money is going on improvements (Upgrades !!) already - and this is only after having the scope for 2 weeks !!

Cheers !!
another join the club. There is always something tempting to buy.
Well, done on ther collimation!! I am hopeless at it, despite a multitude of wonderful advice.
Old 15-05-2010, 07:47 PM
big_dav_2001 (Davin)

Hahaha... Another victim of 'The astro-gear black hole'... http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/s...ad.php?t=60901
Most of us have been there, done that, many of us are STILL there doing that....hahaha

Davin

Lmao
Old 16-05-2010, 08:15 AM
Liz

Quote:
Originally Posted by big_dav_2001 View Post
Most of us have been there, done that, many of us are STILL there doing that....hahaha

Davin
therein lies the problem ... we are still doing it ... how can we stop????
Old 16-05-2010, 10:12 AM
that_guy (Tony)
Local Korean Millennial

you know what you have to do? live on a instant noodle and baked beans diet and buy nothing but homebrand and other generic products... that way you have money($$$)... thats what i would do