Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Talk
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 16-03-2010, 12:18 PM
ManOnTheMoon (Matt)

Saw two red objects moving across the sky last night!

My girlfriend and I were sitting out on the balcony on last night about 6.30pm when we saw a redish dot about the size of mars moving northwards at very high altitude. As we watched it moving across the sky we noticed another one moving towards it in a north eastern direction. They almost crossed paths then it seemed to turn more towards the east. I think they were proberly satelites with the red glow comming from the sun which had set about 1hr before.
Old 16-03-2010, 12:31 PM
mental4astro (Alexander)
kids+wife+scopes=happyman

, satellites.

You will be surprised at how many there are cris-crossing the sky. Just last night I had on cross my field of view while I was looking at Eta Carina.

Some have a static shine, others flash as they spin, others change in brilliance as their orientation changes while orbiting Earth. You will even see some totally disappear as the move into Earth's shadow.

Nasa also provides a link to the time, location, direction and brilliance of the International Space Station to where ever on Earth you are located:

http://spaceflight1.nasa.gov/realdata/sightings/

Really cool stuff.

There are even nutters out there that get a kick out of chasing the ISS to photograph it with Earth based scope! Some get really good results too.
Old 16-03-2010, 12:45 PM
ManOnTheMoon (Matt)

This girl saw red dots too on the 1st Jan 2010 and got some photo's!
link here
http://www.cafemom.com/group/416/for..._saw_them?last
Old 16-03-2010, 01:11 PM
mental4astro (Alexander)
kids+wife+scopes=happyman

Myself and six other also saw these three lights moving together in the same configuration in the pictures on the link. Nothing creepie. There are many satellites that move in pairs or other multiples. These are gathering info in 3D from 3 different positions simultaneously. They can be for various uses: geographic, geologic, meteorlogical, military.

It was about 10pm when we saw them from Katoomba, 100km west from Sydney during a dark site observing session back in February. The cool thing was that they disappear into Earth's shadow one at a time, nearly dead overhead, as they orbited.
Old 19-03-2010, 04:18 PM
Vartigy (Aaron)
Making the Kessel run...

Couldn't find the pictures in that but I saw a similar occurence late Jan this year.

1am. Pitch black skies, and there was these two red glowing (oscillating on and off) dots same trajectory, booking it across the sky. Fascinating.
Old 22-03-2010, 05:17 PM
Winter Wolf

Satellites are both fascinating and annoying. Good for a thrill, bad for deep sky photos.
Planes also seem to keep crossing the field of view too.