Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Talk
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-09-2009, 04:50 PM
Lost In Space (Blake)

Can Anyone Please Help Me out?

Hey everyone!

I've only just signed up to the forums here. I have to say, it's a great site!

Anyway, I want to get into amature astronomy, and most likely astrophotography in the future, so I'm looking to buy a new telescope. At the moment I own a small 60mm Tasco Refractor. It's only a beginners telescope which I've had for years. It's good for viewing the Moon and Venus, but not very much else. It doesn't have auto-track either, which I've learned is a must have for me.

I've done some looking around and some research about the different types of telescopes, but a lot of the things I read are either biased, or state only pros and cons of each without comparison.

What I'm looking for is a telescope that has auto-track/auto find, doesn't require a huge amount of maintenance, is able to view planets, galaxies, and nebulae, is portable (I need to carry it from inside to outside and visa versa), can be used for astrophotography, and is under $1000 or a little bit over.

Some telescopes I've come across are:

- Celestron 4SE, 5SE, 6SE
- Orion SkyQuest XT10
- Celesteron C6-RGT
- Celesteron C8-NGT

Can anyone please tell me which telescope from above or elsewhere would be best for what I'm looking for? It would really help me ALOT! If anyone can provide some information into their first hand experiences with different types of telescopes it would be much appreciated aswell.

Thanks for reading!
Old 12-09-2009, 05:35 PM
mick pinner
Astrolounge

sorry Lost but for $1000 it won't happen. it's just not enough money.
HEQ5's with go-to are about as cheap as you can go and l think they are about $1500 alone, plus scope/camera/guide scope. do not buy a cheap mount if you want to do astrophotography as you will be bitterly dissapointed.
Old 12-09-2009, 05:47 PM
Davros (Lauren)
stumblebum

You might be able to throw something together if you negate the goto requirement. Have a look at this package. $1095.00 from Sirius optics in Brisbane

SkyView™ Pro 80mm ED EQ Apochromatic Refractor
ED Optics On a Gem of a Mount
Get Orion's premium 80mm ED refractor in a complete equatorial package. The SkyView Pro 80ED combines the best value in high-end refractors today with the stability and precision of our SkyView Pro equatorial mount — for one very attractive price.

Orion has outfitted the SVP 80ED's 2" Crayford-type focuser with a 2" mirror star diagonal. It accommodates 2" or 1.25" eyepieces, and it include's two 1.25" Sirius Plossls plus an 8x40 finder scope.
Attached Images

Old 12-09-2009, 06:11 PM
Lost In Space (Blake)

Thanks for tha fast replies.

What if I eliminated the need for astrophotography, and just wanted a telescope for viewing. What could you suggest then?
Old 12-09-2009, 06:44 PM
Davros (Lauren)
stumblebum

If you just want visual then go for a larger Dobsonian. I've got a 10 inch and you cant go past the bigger aperture. From my research the refractor listed above would allow visual and photography. You dont need goto for photography just the ability to track, so a motorised EQ mount that can take the weight of the scope plus camera etc. Wait for the experts to offer some advice here though because i am only a novice at this game.
Old 12-09-2009, 06:53 PM
Quark (Trevor)

Hi Lost,

If astrophotography is not a requirement then for around $1000 you should be able to pick up a nice 12" Dob. Well to be correct, a Newtonian Reflector in a Dobsonian mount.

You cannot go past a Dob as far as dollars spent for every inch of aperture. Work your way through the beginners forum, this question has been asked and answered on countless occasions.

Good luck
Cheers
Trevor
Old 12-09-2009, 07:12 PM
Lost In Space (Blake)

Alright thanks everyone! I'll go have a look around and do more research