Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Talk
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-09-2009, 11:26 AM
StevenA (Steven)

This could be a stupid question!

Can you stack filters for veiwing (not Photography)?
For example
Would it be of any use stacking a UHC and an Oiii together for nebula observations?
Can you stack colour filters for Planetary Observations? The way I see it by combining coloured filters such as red and yellow I would be a different orange from the one I already have. Would it help or make a difference?
The colours I have so far for combining are: Violet, Light Green, Orange and Yellow

Finally : Does using an On-line Telescope in the Nth Hemi count for observation of Messier Ob's so I can tik off the ones out of my observation zone??? (Hope you understand this one!) Or is it cheating??????????
Thanks for input. Steven A
Old 07-09-2009, 01:10 PM
astro744

You can stack them but....

1. Narrowband filters:

The UHC includes the H-beta & O-III lines whereas the O-III is just that, O-III only and very little either side. Therefore if you stack an UHC with an O-III you get an O-III with less transmission than using a single filter since each filter has less than 100% transmission.

2. Coloured filters:

Once again the transmission curves need to be looked at and if there is any overlap you will get some transmission of a mixed colour but this is not ideal as using a single filter of the same colour as the transmission will be better for the single filter. I think too that for 'scientific' planetary observing it would be good practice to use standard filters such as Violet 47 or Red 25A or light Blue 80A or 82A so that other observers know exactly at what wavelengths you observded any particular planetary feature most prominently.