Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Talk
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 30-06-2009, 03:01 AM
redsquash

Planisphere for an incorrect latitude

I am in an isolated area of Latitude 20 degrees south.I could buy a planisphere designed for 35 degrees south now, or wait several months before getting to a major town and purchasing one for my latitude.

Will I be able to somehow compensate with the 35degrees South planisphere or is the Latitude difference too much?

Whats the best type of Planisphere or is there very little difference amongest the different types.
Old 30-06-2009, 03:49 AM
Galactic G (Greg)
Space is big. Really big.

I think a planisphere designed for 35 deg south will work just fine at 20 deg south.

The only think to keep in mind is that you will see the horizon slightly higher than it is indicated on the planisphere.

The best type of planisphere is a 'double sided planisphere'. This type of planisphere gives views looking south on one side and looking north on the other.

Edit: If your keen you can build your own double sided planisphere for 20 deg S if you follow the instructions on this site:- http://www.asahi-net.or.jp/~zs3t-tk/planisphere/planisphere.htm

Last edited by Galactic G; 30-06-2009 at 04:13 AM. Reason: add link to DYI planisphere
Old 30-06-2009, 07:09 AM
sheeny (Al)
Spam Hunter

I would buy the 35° one now, I think.

The only area of concern will be it won't show stars that appear within 15 degrees of your northern horizon, and will show more below the south celestial pole than you can see. If you keep that in mind, you'll learn to compensate.

For most of the sky, it'll work fine, and get you going until you can buy a more appropriate one later if you still feel the need for it.

Al.
Old 30-06-2009, 10:14 AM
redsquash

Thanks gents.
On the cover it says suitable for locations 10 degrees either side. If i can see most stuff I will be happy .
Old 30-06-2009, 10:26 AM
leon

AS the Gents said, it will serve you well if you just remember were you really are.

leon