Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Talk
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-06-2009, 08:46 PM
victorpei (Victor)

EYEPIECE & Astrophotograph question!!

Hey guys,

I just bought a 10' MEADE LX200 telescope, come with the standard possl 26mm eyepiece. I also bought a TeleVue 16 mm nargler type 2 eyepiece. Do u guys think they r enough? What do u guys suggest, a full set of MEADE possl eyepieces (8 in total) or maybe just 1 or 2 more expensive high level eyepieces?

Also, I wanna ask what is more worth buying if I wanna do both planetary & nebular photo shoot? DSLR (i.e. Canon 400D) or DSI pro? What types of filters do U guys recon?

Thanks in advance! I'm just a beginner, sorry for these kids questions!
Old 07-06-2009, 09:06 PM
mswhin63 (Malcolm)

Due to complexity in the nature of eyepices, it is one of the most difficult questions to answer and is ultimately the end users decision in what to get.

I am trying for alrounder solution but expect I want to try mostly deep sky. I personally want to get a selection that will increase in magnifacation from low power widefield to high power wider field as possible and close quarters planetary.

The best overall and from previous threads is wide field lenses but are the most expensive and some very heavy

I would like to start by getting 13 or 14mm then 40mm approx. I was then going to get 2 and 4 x barlow to give 6 possible magnifaction level eg: 40 (alone), 14 (alone), 7mm with 2 x barlow and 3.5 with 4 x barlow, then with the 40mm can get 20mm with 2 x barlow.

Later as money become more available I would consider getting direct lense without using barlows. I am tossing up 1.25" or 2" but tending towards 2".

Consider what you want to look at. I personally won't make a final decison on lenses until I have been to a couple of sky parties, as I live in a notorius light polluted location and really can only see bright stars and planets.

It is an important decision as they are expensive and need to last a long time.
Old 07-06-2009, 09:12 PM
victorpei (Victor)

Malcolm, thanks for ur advise, they r quiet useful!! It's true, the eyepieces r quiet expensive, I think I'll start with basic set with barlows.
Old 09-06-2009, 03:12 PM
bmitchell82 (Brendan)
Newtonian power! Love it!

to take photos with your Lx you will need something called a Wedge that can put your telescope into a polar alignment. without this you will have field rotation (nasty)... unless your really keen and know your going to be with the hobby for a long time, take your time to get into astro photography because it can be expensive if you rush things.!
Old 09-06-2009, 05:22 PM
Terry B
Country living & viewing

I found that the only eyepieces I ever used were ones that gave me a low power wide field like the 26mm that you already have and one that gave me about 200x mag. -in my case an 8mm.
All the others I have almost never get used.
It's nice to have lots of choice but I think that the a good high power and a good low power fills most needs.