Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Talk
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 31-03-2009, 05:08 PM
Davekyn (David)
Loves Staring Into Space!

Dave's 12" GRAB & GO scope :)

Hi,
So often I have heard many people imply that a 12" Dob is not suited for transport & whilst this is often true for most people, I just wanted to share once more in yet another car how easy I am able to transport mine.

Twice now, I have been able to pack up my 12" GSO tubular Scope and Mount without any problems at all in a small 4 cylinder/ 4 door car. Not all cars are alike, but if your own or are in the market for a smaller car...it's worth noting you don't need a truck to transport a 12" Tubular scope.

I'm heading off down to Cowra/Parks NSW for a week come this Fri...I'm now really happy that I will be able to drag along my 12" to take full advantage of the dark skies down that way. I can even take someone along with me & still have plenty of space for all my camping gear.

Who's comming Checkout my slide show on packing it in:
http://s181.photobucket.com/albums/x...t=3ebce0fd.pbw
Old 31-03-2009, 09:13 PM
Miaplacidus (Brian)
He used to cut the grass.

Nice work. Did you void the warranty on your car with the mods? Now for the challenge, where do you pack in the ED 80?

Enjoy the views... Don't do your back getting it out.

Brian.
Old 31-03-2009, 10:02 PM
Davekyn (David)

From what I can tell, the bolts had no markings on them and identical ones can be purchased brand new...I have no idea what your talking about! I doubt they'd ever notice...then again hyundi don't give a 5 years warranty for no reason...I doubt I'll ever have to use it...been with them for years. I do believe I made no modification at all...I simply removed the back rest to take advantage of the boot space already there?

MMMMMMMMMMMMMMM...perfectic really... if such a thing would void it...I'd never buy another Hyundai if that where the case! You got me worried now

There's heaps of space left ... I'm into ultralight backpacking...I'll jam it in somewhere
Oh yea...getting the thing out is EASY AS...I can't beleive how many people wine about the weight of such things? One hand on the mirror end and one hand on the other...? Perhaps if you have only ever worked in the office all your life...must be the fresh country air some of us breath from time to time ...I figure I can keep lifting it in and out well into my late 60s. I'd jam a 16" if I had the chance

I'll be sure to enjoy...Thanks!

Last edited by Davekyn; 31-03-2009 at 10:24 PM.
Old 01-04-2009, 09:41 AM
Miaplacidus (Brian)
He used to cut the grass.

Hi David,
Don't take my ribbing for serious enquiry. If they gave you a warranty then you know you won't have to use it, as simple as that. Anyway, you haven't done anything structural, so no problemo probably. Besides, I'd just go with the blame-shifting classic: "It was like that when I bought it."
Yes, I'm sure you must be able to manage a 16 inch somehow. Maybe you need a convertible...
Cheers,
Brian.
Old 01-04-2009, 10:30 AM
Paddy (Patrick)
Canis Minor

Very impressive Dave!
Old 01-04-2009, 11:55 AM
Davekyn (David)

It's all cool Brian. I was just really regretting that I did not get a truss setup, before I realized how simple it was to transport in my car. I apreciate my 80Ed, but that's more for photography down the track.

My brother is keen to do some stargazing with me, and now that I can take the 12" Dob...I'm much more confident to put on a show

I intend to pick out the moon around 7:30pm - 9:00pm over the next comming week with Orion as they both begin to decend around those time. Hopefully Orion will still be impresive despite the moon glow. I'll have my filters ready on the night. I know he will be blown away with what a 12" dob can do with the moon!

After they hit the horizon, I was thinking of Saturn, a couple of galaxies south of that in LEO and possibly some in Virgo (maybe out of reach for me?).......
Crux and the multitude of wonders around there. The globular cluster omega centuri should be positioned well!!!
Is there any other targets that might show some nebulosity?? For my scope?

Any tips would be great! I'm Trying to get my head around some of the finer details so as to help my brother better apreciate what we are viewing.

Probably best to keep it simple-which it what Dobs do best.
Any other targets worth noting?
Old 01-04-2009, 12:36 PM
madwayne (Wayne)

Hi Dave

Sorry to put a dampener on your trip but the forecast for Cowra looks pretty ugly. Showers and cloud. On the positive if you are travelling between Cowra and Parkes stop in at the Fat Lamb Hotel at Eugowra for a beverage. I haven't been there for a few years but when I lived in Canberra I travelled out to Parkes to play golf and a stop at that watering hole was a must. Good old fashioned country pub. If you are a golfer the courses at Cowra (in particular) and Parkes are both worth a look (I'd like to see you squeeze a set of sticks in the Hyundai ) and sorry for going a little off topic.

As far as targets go don't just pin your sites on evening targets. Early morning you have Jupiter, Scorpius rising as Orion sets so that would open up M4, M6, M7, Antares etc and Sagittarius rising after that although the sun might ride rough shot on that parade although I notice that there are some M8/M20 images starting to surface in the DSO section. Also add M104 and the many deep space delights in Carina to your list, not just 3372, for viewing in the evening.

Hope that helps, good luck with the trip and drive safely.

Wayne

Last edited by madwayne; 01-04-2009 at 12:49 PM. Reason: Left the list of DSOs out
Old 01-04-2009, 12:42 PM
Paddy (Patrick)
Canis Minor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davekyn View Post

After they hit the horizon, I was thinking of Saturn, a couple of galaxies south of that in LEO and possibly some in Virgo (maybe out of reach for me?).......
Crux and the multitude of wonders around there. The globular cluster omega centuri should be positioned well!!!
Is there any other targets that might show some nebulosity?? For my scope?

Probably best to keep it simple-which it what Dobs do best.
Any other targets worth noting?
You should get bucketloads of galaxies in Leo & Virgo with your 12", as well as Coma Berenices if its high enough where you are (you will have a better view than us Victorians). Also M104 would be a very easy galaxy for you. Also NGC 5128 is a large bright galaxy near Omega Centauri and NGC 4945 also in Centaurus. But they will all look a bit like grey smudges to your brother, perhaps. For nebuale, Eta Carina and the Tarantula often are impressive enough to engage someone's interest.
Old 01-04-2009, 01:31 PM
Calibos (Keith)

Dave, this is what I have always said too whenever anyone would comment on me lugging 'that monster' around. Gimme 12" apeture views and a bit of weight lifting exercise over an easier to handle 8 SCT or something that costs double what my scope did. I'm not a big fella, only 5'7" and not muscular either but I manage OK.

I've posted a few pics of the scope packed in a 3 door hatchback, (My old Audi A3 (ie Vw Golf size class). A few carefully chosen purchases to make handling it easier and a few carefully designed though appalingly built DIY accessories and I was able to easily transport and quickly setup without having to leave behind any equipment when heading up the mountains. ie I was able to transport my full home observing kit

I'm actually just about to put the scope up for sale as 'The fever' and new transport issues arose. I still went ahead and completed the last few mods on the 12" despite selling it as it should help resale and I just didn't feel it was right to sell 'My unfinished scope. Its funny, after putting so much work into her I'll be sad to see her go but I just can't store 2 large dobs and it would be a shame to see her gather dust because I would invaiable pull out the larger scope every time.

I've posted a few pics of the finished 12"

Back on topic, I got the same type of comments when I told everyone I was purchasing a 16" Lightbridge after Meade discounts in the UK and euro/sterling parity made for the deal of the century, LB16 for the equivelent of AUD1900!! I even had an owner of the same scope tell me it was too big. I just couldn't get him to understand that our experiences were relative. I had no problem handling my 12in solid tube and the truss was going to make things so much easier despite being a 16". He on the other hand went from a 12in truss to the 16 so things were 'relatively' harder for him. Then there was the other fact that so many people seem to judge an scopes suitability/transportabilty/liftability on its 'straight from the factory state' and rule it in or out based on that. Me, I look at a scope and try and postulate if or what I could do to make it easier on myself. ie, even if its not very user friendly from the factory, what can I do to make it more user friendly. If I can think of ways to do this then I'll buy.

This is what happened with the LB16. The extra transport constraints were imposed by the purchase of a new car. An Audi TT. You can image how small they are. Well with a few mods and some accessories rethink I will soon be able to transport a 16in scope and all my gear in the back of a tiny sports coupe! Mods like making some new feet that can be screwed on and off the groundboard with threaded inserts. This gave me the extra 1inch I needed for the 22in tall base to clear my low roofline. Scope Trolley will be replaced with a wheel chuck and wheelbarrow handles. EP table is done away with by doing away with the EP case. ie EP's transported in case in car but transferred into scope mounted heated EP box on top of scope mounted laptop pole. EQ platform I used for tracking on old scope which would fit in new car replaced with a simple JMI TNT ALT AZ scope mounted drives. Cant wait to get all these mods done and take some pics of the whole lot in the back of the TT. Should be a sight to behold
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (sidebyside.jpg)
42.0 KB22 views
Click for full-size image (P3310367.JPG)
93.8 KB23 views
Click for full-size image (P3310372.JPG)
57.1 KB18 views
Click for full-size image (P3310373.JPG)
89.0 KB21 views
Click for full-size image (Loaded Car.jpg)
83.0 KB23 views
Click for full-size image (Finished scope mods 007.jpg)
81.0 KB26 views
Old 01-04-2009, 11:37 PM
Davekyn (David)

Thanks for the reccomended targets guys...much appreciated. That would be my luck with the weather ... Turns out I am struggling to shake a very painfull bout of "upper respitory tract I infection" since last fri...seen the Doc twice & wants me to call before I head off. Might have to shave a day or two off the trip & leave on Sunday instead. Hopefully the weather will be ok towards the end of the week befor I come home.

Kieth...You obviously know the one about "Where there is a Will there is a Way!". Excellent packing skills and imagination. Nice pics too. Thankyou very much for the informative read. I enjoyed everything about it. A 16" will be my next scope too...like you say...I'll deal with the issues after I get my hands on one. .. Quick edit - "I am also only 5/7 and fear the next generation after y will find a 10" Dob to heavy to lift. No offense intended young ones...DNA of the future I guess.

Can't remember who said it...but good point about what I will see and what my brother will see, may differ. I need to remember that, as I've had a few strange looks from some onlookers before as I would get excited about a smudge. LOL other than this illness, I am well prepared.
Thanks all.
Dave...please exscuse my mistakes as on Iphone & simply too tired...will pick up the slack another time...PS.. Thanks for the tourist pointers, I'll be close enough to pop in for a drink at that pup. Also going to look into the Cowa Break Out camp...The Dish...and ask about the observertory I seen after climbing some mountains down that way 6 years ago. Mt warranbungles or somthing like that. Once up the top with the help of some absailers, I was taken by the view & instantly noticed a pretty big observertory out in the distance. I suppose it's not open to the public?

Last edited by Davekyn; 02-04-2009 at 12:05 AM.
Old 02-04-2009, 03:09 AM
Calibos (Keith)

BTW, I forgot to explain the mankyness of the room the pictures were taken in. I wouldn't want you thinking, "Lovely, neat clean telescope....but house like a rubbish tip?!"

Moved into old run down house and seeing as its due to be gutted for renovation, I did the black spray painting of the scope base on the floor with no covers on the floor!!
Old 02-04-2009, 07:35 AM
Davekyn (David)

LOL ......I not only believe you, but can relate to that edit...Is that an organ I see?...Been years since I seen one of those. Brings. back memories of when mum & nan (god bless her soul) played togeather. Does it get used?