Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Talk
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 14-02-2009, 10:24 PM
NGC2264 (Gordon)

Seeking Information about Aust Distributors

I was all set today to go down to York Optical and purchase a10" collapsible Dob by Sky-Watcher only to find out that while they had some in stock on Thirsday they had none in stock today. Was not happy, considering they tell me the price could go up after they get more in (exchange rate).

In speaking to the chap there he stated that Andrews Communications did not have proper warranty coverage from the manufacturers and that Tasco who is the listed distributor here in Australia was either in the process or about to sue Andrews over distributorship issues.

So that leads me to my question, if you look on the internet there are a number of internet site offering a full range of telescopes: myastroship, telescopeshop.com.au, u-shop telescope.com.au. Are these places solid dealerships, or should they be avoided like the plague.

I don't want to be stung by York for more dough when there are other places out there selling this product cheaper. But if they don't carry legitimate manufacturer warranty then what's the point?

When I go onto the Tasco website they list only York Optical and Bintel as legitimate Sky-Watcher resellers, but Bintel do not carry the collapsible Dobs at all.

I will be making various calls on Monday to Tasco. In the meantime, does anyone have any info that would shed some light on this.

(It's raining tonight in Sydney so that's small consolation for not being able to get the scope today - frustrated nevertheless)
Old 14-02-2009, 10:56 PM
andrew2008

If you have any copies of AS&T lying around the authorised skywatcher dealers usually have there names listed in ads for Skywatcher equipment. There are others apart from the two you have listed - NVT which run www.telescopeshop.com.au, Sirius Optics, Star Optics, myastroshop.com.au plus others. As far as i am aware Andrews are the only store that are not authorised and are selling the products and have also heard Tasco are not happy about it and are looking at ways to stop them. Most retailers will match Andrews prices however, so i see it as maybe a good thing for competition and the consumer as i'm led to believe Tasco and most authorised importers of astro gear put a large markup of products Andrews don't have. So if you want to take a chance with no warranty i've read lots of people here who are very happy with Andrews then give them a try. Personally i wouldn't have a problem buying most stuff from them. Eyepieces, OTA's etc should be uniformally ok. My problem would come when purchasing motorised mounts or the like that have a higher chance of failure.

Others here will know far more about this than me so see what others say and feel free to correct me if what i've said isn't exactly correct.
Old 15-02-2009, 09:24 AM
GrahamL
pro lumen

So theres warrenty issues with all the skywatcher gear andrews sell?
Old 15-02-2009, 12:58 PM
Found (Peter)

I've purchased gear from Andrews and had no problems. Price was well below there competitors. Competition is wonderful for the consumer and those that provide it should be supported.
Old 15-02-2009, 02:47 PM
mozzie (Peter)

gorden ive just bought an 8"collapsible dob from nvt it should be here tomorrow bought online posted straight away also made a follow up call and spoke to dianne there service was out standing she couldnt do enoughfor me triple a service
mozzie
Old 15-02-2009, 03:32 PM
mrsnipey
Verified Astronomy Noob

Without starting a huge debate, I would have to disagree with you Andrew2008 about the other sellers matching Andrew's prices. I rang up about my rig - Skywatcher ED80 and EQ6, and the other's weren't interested in even coming close in price - they were over 1k higher. All they would say was "Grey Imports" - like that matters when it comes down to price. I like to support local companies especially when I work 5 minutes walk from their shop, but I'll only support them when they support me - not rip me off.
The Andrew's guys answered all my really annoying questions on multiple occasions and helped me pick a rig to suit my purpose, so I'll keep using them.

Oooh, I can feel some flaming coming my way.
Old 15-02-2009, 04:46 PM
wasyoungonce (Brendan)
Certified Village Idiot

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsnipey View Post
Without starting a huge debate, I would have to disagree with you Andrew2008 about the other sellers matching Andrew's prices. I rang up about my rig - Skywatcher ED80 and EQ6, and the other's weren't interested in even coming close in price - they were over 1k higher. All they would say was "Grey Imports" - like that matters when it comes down to price. I like to support local companies especially when I work 5 minutes walk from their shop, but I'll only support them when they support me - not rip me off.
The Andrew's guys answered all my really annoying questions on multiple occasions and helped me pick a rig to suit my purpose, so I'll keep using them.

Oooh, I can feel some flaming coming my way.

I have had no trouble with Lee Andrews and he is always ready to help with advice.

He makes no bones that he does not like the current market monopoly setup....which is in effect strangling the market of pricing competition.

I don't believe anyone has had trouble returning problem gear to Andrews....questioning his "product support"..it's a beat up!
Old 15-02-2009, 06:09 PM
PeterO

I,ve bought a lot of gear of Lee Andrews and service and supply has been outstanding. There would be a high percentage of people on this forum that would not have (being able to afford) the the equipment they now have and enjoying astronomy if it were not for Lee keeping prices at least sensible. I for one will continue to support him and his staff. I don't like being robbed by greedy monopoly "authorised importer/distributors" whatever the product.
Old 15-02-2009, 08:27 PM
Blue Skies (Jacquie)
It's about time

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGC2264 View Post
So that leads me to my question, if you look on the internet there are a number of internet site offering a full range of telescopes: myastroship, telescopeshop.com.au, u-shop telescope.com.au. Are these places solid dealerships, or should they be avoided like the plague.
They're legit. They would all buy from Tasco as Tasco is the main wholesaler in Australia for these scopes. Just because they are not listed under the main Skywatcher advert doesn't mean they aren't legit, they're just much smaller fish than the bigger companies that do get listed. So relax and purchase with confidence where ever you like. As for warrantees, I would be considering the service record of the shop, that seems to be more important to getting the service you would expect and/or prefer.

Lots of things go on behind the scenes with these businesses that the regular joe on the street might not be aware of, so don't be quick to jump to conclusions. I've been there, I know!
Old 15-02-2009, 09:12 PM
NGC2264 (Gordon)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mozzie View Post
gorden ive just bought an 8"collapsible dob from nvt it should be here tomorrow bought online posted straight away also made a follow up call and spoke to dianne there service was out standing she couldnt do enoughfor me triple a service
mozzie
I saw the price from NVT for 8" collapsible dobs being $499 - that's sensational. My heart tells me I want a 10" but my head is saying an extra $400 is hard to pass up. Still - I think I will go for the 10" nevertheless.

Did you have to pay the $50 freight. I see in the terms and conditions that delivery of telescopse within australia is free, but that may only be on certain specials..

Thanks for your info. York are getting back to me tomorrow - if they can't give the $900 price then I will go elsewhere.
Old 15-02-2009, 09:13 PM
NGC2264 (Gordon)

Thanls everyone for your insights and information. As always it is greatly appreciated. I expect to hear from York tomorrow and if I don't like what I hear then I will go elsewhere - their loss.