Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Talk
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 17-12-2008, 01:17 AM
Scooter

Just brought a EQ6Pro - Now what do I need?

Hi Folks – been awhile between posts but still been lurking
Anyway been messing around with the GSO 12” Dob every now and again but knew I wanted tracking and control etc. I did do the manual mod using an Azimuth scale on the base and an Altimeter and that works but I was still left wanting…….

Anyway I brought the other half a D90 a little while ago so been messing with that then decided to get a tripod so I could do long exposure stuff. Well tried out some astro stuff as well as playing with it hooked up to the lappy etc. and that got me wanting a mount with tracking and control again.

Noticed there was a couple of threads talking about the increase in the EQ6 Pro price and a couple of posts talking about how it was still < $1500 at http://www.telescopeshop.com.au/Tele..._Mounts/#35087 so thought what the hell, might as well get one to have a play with so I rang and brought one today

Figured it was a good buy at $1500 for me to play with as it seems the best buy at that price point with the next level up being a significant increase in spend. Problem is now what do I need to play with my new toy when I get it?

I want to mount the 12” on it so what is required to do that and where is the best place to buy (assume tube rings – Mike in some of your photos did you have yours strapped to the mount?)?

I want to mount the D90 on it for some wide field stuff – again what do I need and best place to buy?

I want to use the D90 with the 12” – do I just need a T Ring and adaptor and again best place to buy?

Basically all you 12” GEM mounted owners if you could fill me in on the basics to get up and running that would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Will sneak in a quick question regarding the D90 - Using the Nikon Camera Control V2 software when I switch to live view I can only see really bright stars on output (realized the camera LCD would probably not show normal stars but though the output on the lappy monitor would - where as I can see them through normal ones through the view finder). I then zoom 100% on this and use the focus control to get a good focus (or so it seems). Actually pretty disappointed that it was only bright stars that show – was this normal? And even with about 5 sec’s of exposure (at 100 mm and 5.6) I get the start of star trails – this normal?
Old 17-12-2008, 01:27 PM
Scooter

OK on connecting the 12" to the EQ6 I assume I just need:-

https://www.bintelshop.com.au/Product.aspx?ID=7627 - 2x 303mm GSO Type tube rings

and a https://www.bintelshop.com.au/Product.aspx?ID=6922 Orion dovetail mounting plate. This says 13" so not sure if it is 13" long or suitable for up to 13". If it is only 13" long is that long enough for the 12" OTA?

will keep looking
Old 17-12-2008, 01:34 PM
iceman (Mike)
Sir Post a Lot!

Hi Scooter

You need to be sure about wanting to mount your 12" on an EQ6. It will handle it, but for deep-space astrophotography, you'll need to move your mirror up the tube, otherwise the DSLR won't come to focus.

For planetary imaging, a standard webcam like the ToUcam will be fine.

Have a look at this thread I started this morning.
http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/s...ad.php?t=38851

I also think you'll find that those tube rings won't fit a 12" newt - they'll fit a 10" newt. There's no local suppliers (that I know of) that make tube rings to fit a 12" newt. I had to get mine custom made from Orion Optics in the UK and it's not cheap.

Hope that helps.
Old 18-12-2008, 12:12 AM
Scooter

Hi Mike,

As a start would just be happy to use the EQ6 and the 12" OTA for visual which still leaves me with the question how to attach it to the mount. I think the Dia of the 12" is something like 360mm so yeah looks like those rings are no good.

As I said in the first post yit looked like you had yours strapped to the mount (pre getting your rings) so what was your setup when you first put the 12" on the mount?

For Visual could worst case could I hook up some sort of wooden frame which then could be attached to the mount? You mention Paul and Clive in the other thread how did they attach their OTA's to the mount? Does the new mount actually come with any sort of mounting plate?

Bit of a bugger if I can't use the OTA on the mount so will just have to work something out

Cheers
Old 18-12-2008, 01:09 AM
Scooter

OK a bit more reading and here is one solution. Just attach the dove tail bar directly to the OTA. Would still allow for the tube to be moved up and down for balance the only big negative I can see would be that you cant rotate the OTA on the mount (for eyepeice orientation etc. for visual if needed). What are peoples thoughts on this idea?
Old 18-12-2008, 02:48 PM
Scooter

Hmmmm theres a thread over on Cloudy Nights dealing with rotating the tube http://www.cloudynights.com/ubbthrea...l/fpart/1/vc/1

so that looks like the go as far as awarkness/orientation of the EP so is what I will aim for but It still leaves me needing to figure out a way to secure the OTA to the mount. Drawn up a few designs which should be OK to make from looking at some desins on the net but I might see if I can actually get some rings made similar to what I originally linked to (just bigger).

Do I read right that the EQ6 comes with a 13" plate?
Old 18-12-2008, 02:53 PM
iceman (Mike)
Sir Post a Lot!

If you want to mount the 12" on an EQ6 purely for visual work, i'd honestly recommend against that.

I've tried using the 12" on the EQ6 for visual work, and it's very, very annoying. The eyepiece is never in the same spot for different points around the sky. It's either too high, too low, or simply unreachable altogether.

Yes rotating the tube can help a bit, but gee what a pain to have to do that constantly.

For visual work, the 12" on the Dob base is much, much more convenient and easy to use. You just lose the "goto" I guess, but if you get an argo navis then that solves that problem too.

For photography, the 12" on the EQ6 is fine - but for deep-space photography it's a whole other ball game.
Old 18-12-2008, 03:42 PM
Scooter

Hi Mike - For visual I did say as a start (hey and you never said how you first mounted the 12" on your EQ6 pre getting the custome rings)

From what I understand isn't eyepeice orientation an issue for any newt matched with a GEM and the issue is just made slightly (OK maybe hugely ) worse due to the size of the 12" OTA? How many off the shelf type newt gem combos are there? so it can't be that bad (or are there a heap of annoyed newt gem folks?). I reckon the rotating tube idea looks pretty good and from what I read makes the experiance much, much better so looks good to me. Even if it is a PITA isn't the eyepeice orientation only an issue if you are gonna be slewing to opposite ends of the sky loking at this that and the other whereas for me, visually, the benefit of the mount is to track because I certainly thought it was a PITA (on the DOB base) to manually keep repositioning to keep stuff at high mag in the eye peice. So thats a start.

Later I will look at observing in realtime at a screen as opposed to the eyepeice and then I suppose I can go to town with goto as the EP won't be an issue and I certainly want to have a go at astro photography etc.

Early days and thanks for your input

If the EQ6 comes a 13" dovetail plate when ever I get it I should be able to make a frame that will allow the scope to be mounted (seen a a few designs that should be easy enough to knock up) and then I can have a play and take it from there.
Old 18-12-2008, 08:35 PM
batema (Mark)

Hi Scooter,

Good luck with your mission. I also (our school) has a 12 " DOB and I have an EQ6 Pro. Take photos of what you do and ensure you post them so I/we can see how you go. Good luck.

Mark
Old 18-12-2008, 10:17 PM
Scooter

Hey batema - no worries. Pretty easy to see some ideas because so many people go the ATM route so should be able to knock up something. For example http://rfroyce.com/f8_truss_tube_newt/ and specifically http://rfroyce.com/f8_truss_tube_new...ell_saddle.htm (scroll down for pics) so I have no doubt it will get mounted. Weight and asthetics on the other hand...

Maybe on the weekend I will see what materials are available to use and will at some stage get some prices on how much to get something made (proper tube rings that is).
Old 19-12-2008, 09:11 AM
Scooter

Mike - just on moving the mirror up the tube looking at this site http://m109.co.uk/equipment/mirror_move.php the guy makes two observations I thought I would ask you about (or anyone else that has moved their mirror of course ):-

1.) He said he could use he DSLR and get focus with a 2x Barlow (i.e without moving the mirror). As I have a 2x Barlow that (potentially) could allow me to use the DSLR in the scope so just thought I would ask if that was others experiance.

2.) Post the move he says no problems using normal eyepeices etc. was that normally the case? I guess I was just thinking if you moved the mirror to accomadate the DSLR then that would adversly effect normal eyepeices however if that wasn't the case then I would be more motivated to do the mod. I guess the question is what negative impacts are there if you do move the mirror up?

TIA
Old 19-12-2008, 09:18 AM
iceman (Mike)
Sir Post a Lot!

Check out this link:
http://www.iceinspace.com.au/63-441-0-0-1-0.html

It's the article by Clive after he moved his mirror.
You really don't want to use a barlow with your DSLR. The focal length of the 12" is already 1500mm native - you don't want to be doing imaging at 3000mm with your DSLR and 2x barlow. It will be much harder, much less forgiving and the learning curve will be much steeper.

I expect you may need an extension tube with eyepieces once you've moved the mirror up the tube but I don't have first hand experience with this.
Old 21-12-2008, 12:52 PM
Scooter

Hey Mike - thanks for the link. You know you still havn't said how you mounted your 12" on the EQ6 when you first got it - i.e pre rings. (actually you have responded to everything but - I know from this pic http://www.mikesalway.com.au/gallery...e%2B12newt.jpg that you are using straps but can figure out what you have done for the saddle and how it is attached to the mount)

The Barlow question was more about just being able to use the camera on the scope without having to do mods etc. (i.e I am not overly bothered with difficulty etc. will just try stuff at the longer FL and will take .AVI's of the planets etc. (wonder how the D90 stacks up against a web cam for planetary stuff?).

Anyway back to the mount - just spent a couple of hrs knocking a temp solution up so here are a quick couple fo shots for anyone interested.

Just used some scraps of wood I had lying around. Had to spend $30 (mostly on the glue I will use for the padding) on M10 bar and nuts etc. I ended up getting some expansion stuff to use as padding (it was $5 for 6meters as opposed to the felt which was $9 a meter) as it was thicker and spongier (my cutting out was pretty rough so thought it would make a better seat than felt which being thinner and harder would hightlight any inconsistencies with my cutting/sanding). Haven't glued it down yet but will test if I can easily rotate the tube after I have done that.

When I do get the mount I will fit the dove bar to the wood centered and then attach the frame centered on the balance point of the whole setup (roughly shown in the photos) and take it from there.

Whole frame is probably < 1kg (although I am not sure) and will still try to get rings made. Might even pursue this design but actually do it better (this was just proof of concept). I know that next time I will use something that gives a square cut on the curves because my jig saw certainly didn't

Anyway like I said just thought I would post. Might be rough and ready but a $30 spend is better than a $300-400 on rings - Out of interest how much do the professional rings weigh (so I know what to work towards)?

Cheers
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (aDSC_0018.jpg)
184.6 KB25 views
Click for full-size image (aDSC_0019.jpg)
170.9 KB21 views
Click for full-size image (aDSC_0023.jpg)
149.0 KB25 views
Click for full-size image (aDSC_0026.jpg)
184.1 KB15 views
Click for full-size image (aDSC_0027.jpg)
191.5 KB16 views
Old 21-12-2008, 11:51 PM
Jen
Moving to Pandora

u lucky bugger
Old 22-12-2008, 12:31 PM
bmitchell82 (Brendan)
Newtonian power! Love it!

Necessity is the mother of all invention good job