Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Talk
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-12-2008, 12:41 AM
june (June)

Smile newbie and need help

Hi guys, I'm so happy to have found this site. I have been looking at telescope's online. I would like to purchase one this year for Christmas for myself, my husband and our children to look at the planets, moon etc. We are all beginners and I was looking at 130mm AstroMaster EQ with motor drive, what do you guys think.

I've always wanted a telescope, just have no idea, I've always loved the solar system as a kid and as do our kids now especially our son, I would like for him to explore a bit more and encourage his interests. I'm looking for any advice as I don't want to buy something that will disappoint us and we see nothing at all. Thank you so much everyone for your valuable time and hope to hear from you all soon.
Old 07-12-2008, 12:52 AM
Octane (Humayun)
IIS Member #671

June,

Hello, and welcome to IceInSpace.

I've not heard of the AstroMaster. Have you got a link for us?

If you don't want to be disappointed, then, steer very clear of eBay telescopes, as well as "department store telescopes" such as the ones sold at Australian Geographic and Dick Smiths stores. They're commonly referred to as wobbletronics. Buy one of them for a loved one and you'll likely turn them off astronomy for life.

Other people may chime in, and, they'll tell you the same thing: if you're just starting out, there is absolutely no possible way that you could go wrong by buying a Dobsonian telescope. A popular choice amongst beginners are the GSO (Guan Sheng Optics) Dobsonian telescopes. They're relatively cheap, portable and easy to set up (pick it up, plonk it down, and start viewing).

If, after a while, you find you and your family's interest has grown, you can then start looking at some more serious equipment, such as refractors or Schmidt-Cassegrain-type telescopes.

Have a look at Andrews Communications and Bintel for some good deals.

Regards,
Humayun
Old 07-12-2008, 09:09 AM
Dog Star (Phil)
I'm bloody serious

Hello June and welcome to IIS
Buying that first scope can be a bit confusing for a beginner - all those different astro terms, options and suppliers to sort through. Fortunately you've come to the right place with lots of knowledgeable and friendly people all too willing to help.
You need to have a good think as to exactly what you hope to get out of a scope and how much you're prepared to pay for the privilege.
So the number one thing to think about is budget. I don't think you can get much worth owning for under $300- $400. How much you're prepared to pay on top of that is up to you.
Other things to think about - Does it require portability? That is, will you be using it in your back yard or will you need to transport it to a different place to do your viewing. Will it fit in your car? How heavy a scope can you physically handle? Even moving some scopes from indoors to the back yard can present challenges.
Have a think about these issues and take a look at the links that Humayan kindly provided. Both of these links are good ones.
Take your time, do lots of thinking, ask lots of questions and then buy the biggest scope you can afford.
Have fun!
Old 07-12-2008, 09:49 AM
Glenhuon (Bill)

Just looked up the scope you refer to June. Made by Celestron, here's a review. http://www.productreview.com.au/show...?item_id=60432
If you are just beginners I'd go with the the Dobsonian mount though. The EQ mounts can be a bit fiddly to set up for proper use of the drive system and you'll get more light gathering power for your $$ as the value is in the optics of the Dob and not the mount.

Cheers
Bill
Old 07-12-2008, 05:31 PM
okiscopey (Mike)
Rocky Peak Observatory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octane View Post
... pick it up, plonk it down, and start viewing ..
This means that you'll need to get know your way around the sky: that's part of the fun and learning experience. So you'll need a planisphere and red torch and maybe a yearbook of what's happening up there from month to month. These are bundled together in "Bintels' Essential Accessory Pack" for $44.

Good luck!
Old 11-12-2008, 01:58 AM
Ian Robinson

There's another guy (who jumped too quick) in the simuilar boat as you are who I've been sharing my limited knowledge with , the following might help you

http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/s...ad.php?t=38597

He's opted for nice 6" newt that is pretty reasonably priced after making a mistake.

You'll get more bang for the $ from a dob or a basic (only RA driven or dual axis driven , but not GOTO) newtonian than Schmidt Cass's , Maksutovs or refractors. Give them a wide birth as a beginner is my advise.

Aperture is everythng.
Old 13-12-2008, 01:22 AM
june (June)

thank you

Hi guys thank you so much for your valuable time guys and the knowledge...I am so ready to buy a telescope, just excitied looking at the images, I'm currently studying graphic design and I do a bit of photography.

Originally I only wanted a scope for stargazing with hubby and our children. I've been reading alot and looking at the imagery and I am hooked, I find myself sitting online for hours on end. I remember wanting a telescope as a child but mum could not afford it back then.

I remember running around school waiting for Hailey's Comet in 1986 gee thats all I drew in class. We have both decided that we would like to see and learn everything, I would like to have the option of being able to take photo's and I wanted to know before we part with our cash, what would you guys think about C6-SGT 6" Go-To XLT 150mm x 1500mm

Iwent to Andrews communication and came across the above scope, my other half wants a telescope with an EQ mount and hook up to our PC or lappy, he loves the fact that you can update software and blah, blah.

Me, well I'm happy with a starhopper, I was thinking, we will get the above sope and then eventually I'll get my starhopper. I'm so grateful for all your advice guys and I will look into bintel as well and go through their packages. It seems however that hubby has his heart set on the C6-SGT.
Old 13-12-2008, 01:48 AM
june (June)

thanx Octane for your advice, much appreciated...cheers matey
Old 13-12-2008, 01:58 AM
june (June)

Lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dog Star View Post
Hello June and welcome to IIS
Buying that first scope can be a bit confusing for a beginner - all those different astro terms, options and suppliers to sort through. Fortunately you've come to the right place with lots of knowledgeable and friendly people all too willing to help.
You need to have a good think as to exactly what you hope to get out of a scope and how much you're prepared to pay for the privilege.
So the number one thing to think about is budget. I don't think you can get much worth owning for under $300- $400. How much you're prepared to pay on top of that is up to you.
Other things to think about - Does it require portability? That is, will you be using it in your back yard or will you need to transport it to a different place to do your viewing. Will it fit in your car? How heavy a scope can you physically handle? Even moving some scopes from indoors to the back yard can present challenges.
Have a think about these issues and take a look at the links that Humayan kindly provided. Both of these links are good ones.
Take your time, do lots of thinking, ask lots of questions and then buy the biggest scope you can afford.
Have fun!
thanx for that matey, we are looking at $2000 that is the absolute limit..., I started off with $70 on a National Geo one, then moved onto $399 for an Astro whatever...now looking a the C6-SGT. Hubby wants to be able to hook it up to the PC or our lappy, also have EQ mount, I wouldn't mind the option of taking photo's at some stage and I'm looking at long term. Thanx for your advice and time.

cheers
Old 13-12-2008, 02:06 AM
june (June)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Robinson View Post
There's another guy (who jumped too quick) in the simuilar boat as you are who I've been sharing my limited knowledge with , the following might help you

http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/s...ad.php?t=38597

He's opted for nice 6" newt that is pretty reasonably priced after making a mistake.

You'll get more bang for the $ from a dob or a basic (only RA driven or dual axis driven , but not GOTO) newtonian than Schmidt Cass's , Maksutovs or refractors. Give them a wide birth as a beginner is my advise.

Aperture is everythng.
Thanx Ian, after doing some reading and all the advice it does all make sense, I just felt lost and I'm glad I found you guys at IIS, because I would be the poor unfortunate buying a Dick Smith scopethanx again and cheers Ian
Old 13-12-2008, 02:14 AM
june (June)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenhuon View Post
Just looked up the scope you refer to June. Made by Celestron, here's a review. http://www.productreview.com.au/show...?item_id=60432
If you are just beginners I'd go with the the Dobsonian mount though. The EQ mounts can be a bit fiddly to set up for proper use of the drive system and you'll get more light gathering power for your $$ as the value is in the optics of the Dob and not the mount.

Cheers
Bill
thanx for that Bill, so then do you think that the C6-SGT will be any good?
cheers
Old 13-12-2008, 02:18 AM
june (June)

Quote:
Originally Posted by okiscopey View Post
This means that you'll need to get know your way around the sky: that's part of the fun and learning experience. So you'll need a planisphere and red torch and maybe a yearbook of what's happening up there from month to month. These are bundled together in "Bintels' Essential Accessory Pack" for $44.

Good luck!
thanx for that Mike, I have been through Bintel and I found that Andrews communications is cheaper. I did find some goodies at bintel and the plus is that it is in victoria.

Cheers
Old 13-12-2008, 11:41 PM
bmitchell82 (Brendan)
Newtonian power! Love it!

heheh, if astro is something you want to dabble in sometime in the future. future proof your purchase. theres a guy who just brought the perfect setup for about the price you had maybe a little either side, Zumka is his name and i think he has now gone ahead with a SW600 and EQ6Pro.

The mount (EQ6 pro) has everything needed within it to hook a laptop, guide scope and everything ready for astrophotography, but can also be controlled by the computer with planetarium software. the other good thing is you can load the mount up well with its 20+kg load rating (how much gear you can stack ontop of it while it still retains accuracy). Ahh sooo many options just remember the best scope is the one that you will A. enjoy, B. use the most.!