Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Talk
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 30-11-2008, 03:14 PM
Lyinxz

Collimiation

Hey guys, well I got my new scope an upgrade from my 4.5inch reflector I have chosen the skywatcher collapisable dob 10 inch.

Going to take it out tonight though one thing plagued my mind, since this scope is so big it barleys fits into my 2 door sports car..
I have really squeeze it in.

I was worried about how strong does the collimation hold?
See after i squeeze the scope in i need to drive for a about 1.5hrs to a good spot for viewing.

When collimated, would a car ride screw up the collimation again?
Old 30-11-2008, 03:25 PM
GeoffW1 (Geoff)

Hi,

I think so, it does with mine, and it is a drainpipe type, not even collapsible.

Not much cheer
Old 30-11-2008, 04:03 PM
Kevnool (Kev)
Fast Scope & Fast Engine

Every time i use my scope Ash it always has to be collimated,With that i can spend 15 mins minimum walking back and forth to the primary mirror and between swapping the laser and the cheshire.

I dont mind doing it as i start collimation with a little bit of sun still in the sky so i can see the anulus on the mirror.

Cheers for now Kev.
Old 30-11-2008, 04:15 PM
wavelandscott (Scott)
Plays well with others!

Collimation is something that you should check each and every time you set up and use your reflector...depending on the situation it may not always need to be tweaked but to get the most out of your scope, you should check it.

Collimation is not something to be feared...with a little practice you will become an expert in no time. Get yourself a good set of tools and you will be right as rain and good to go.

There are many websites that offer lots of help in collimation...Andy Shotglass is one of them...alternatively, I'd bet that if you wandered back into the Astro-retailer that you bought your scope from that they would love to give you a tutorial on one of the display models...

Clear Dark Skies to you!
Old 30-11-2008, 06:05 PM
deadsimple (Ash)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wavelandscott View Post
Collimation is something that you should check each and every time you set up and use your reflector...
I don't do it every time but usually after a certain timeout period (a week or two), assuming I'm 100% sure I've handled the scope very carefully and a quick unfocused star test didn't show anything obviously wrong.

What I don't get is when a retailer tells you how they collimated your scope before shipping it interstate to you. Well, cool .. but all that effort was undone by the courier when they did a rugby throw on your gear or ran over it on their forklift.
Old 30-11-2008, 08:17 PM
wavelandscott (Scott)
Plays well with others!

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadsimple View Post
What I don't get is when a retailer tells you how they collimated your scope before shipping it interstate to you. Well, cool .. but all that effort was undone by the courier when they did a rugby throw on your gear or ran over it on their forklift.
Fair point on the final collimation, however that extra bit of service ensures that it is collimatable and that all the parts are there and that it all works fine at least before you get it...while no one can manage the condition of handling the scope while in transit (except the shipping company), you at least know with certainty that it was fine when it left the store...
Old 01-12-2008, 11:36 AM
Starkler (Geoff)
4000 post club member

Quote:
What I don't get is when a retailer tells you how they collimated your scope before shipping it interstate to you. Well, cool .. but all that effort was undone by the courier
Realisticly the secondary shouldn't move in transit so only a tweak on the primary should be required. Thats easy to fix, its the secondary alignment thats the hard part and most confusing for a newbie.
Old 01-12-2008, 12:19 PM
Kevnool (Kev)
Fast Scope & Fast Engine

Quote:
I don't do it every time but usually after a certain timeout period (a week or two), assuming I'm 100% sure I've handled the scope very carefully and a quick unfocused star test didn't show anything obviously wrong.

Even tho your scope is collapsible and is not a solid tube the secondary mirror cannot possibly stay in the same position every time you set it up (i,m sure it will be close but not in the exact same position every time you set up) but if the struts are not in the exact same position every time then the collimation will allways be out.
If the struts are even 1/2 mm out in the locking position this will equate to over 10mm over the primary.
Your not alone tho because i completly pull my scope to pieces to transport it to my observing point and the collimation is just a fact of life that has to be done.
you should really go to the point of purchase and ask them for a few pointers for collimation or find an observing point with others that can give a few more pointers.
When this fella (me) was a newbie the thought of collimation really scared me and i read it all saw the pictures but when i watched Quark here on IIS colimate my scope it all came together.
As for the couriers they dont care about transport as its only a rush job in a rushed industry.
I hope it all comes together for you....cheers Kev.
Old 02-12-2008, 11:24 AM
deadsimple (Ash)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevnool View Post
Even tho your scope is collapsible
Are we talking collapsible scopes? Oops, I should read more carefully :/
Old 02-12-2008, 10:50 PM
Lyinxz

Thanks for the advise guys,

Well Collimiation isnt too bad, I can do it (funnily enough) haha the nice guy at the shop showed me a laser collimator and how it works, and i ended up buying it. Works like a dream and it turns out collimation is actually quite easy once you know What To Do!

I was just worried that if i had to constantly collimate the scope, was this a sign of poor craftsmenship/instablitiy/poor mirrors etc..
It looks like from your replies this is just going to be part of setting up the scope.
Kev very interesting post, thanks for the info. it looks like your right about the locking/opening of the tube assembly, it does keep knocking collimation out.

Thanks for your advise guys
Cheers,
Ash