Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Talk
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 16-11-2008, 09:50 AM
woody52 (Len)
Woody

world wide telescope

I have just downloaded world wide telescope but when i try to open it i get a message you need direct x and 3d grathics to run wwt even thow i think i allready have direct x can anyone shed some light on this please

thanks woody52
Old 16-11-2008, 11:11 AM
vindictive666 (John)
KeyboardNotFndPressAnyKey

Quote:
Originally Posted by woody52 View Post
I have just downloaded world wide telescope but when i try to open it i get a message you need direct x and 3d grathics to run wwt even thow i think i allready have direct x can anyone shed some light on this please

thanks woody52

what operating system are you running on your computer ?
Old 17-11-2008, 07:10 AM
Barrykgerdes

I had much trouble trying to get MS worldwide telescope to download and install also. The instructions are a little hard to follow sometimes however I got it to run but it does not display the stars on my pentium 4 with XP, Windows 98-2e or windows 2000 or any of my other 4 similar computers. I have OpenGL 3D and direct X on a SiS 661 integrated display. I tried many tricks without success so abandonned it.

Later I got an Acer "el cheapo" lap top with Vista Home basic. I down loaded and installed the program and it worked just as described. It also works on that computer under Windows XP which I have installed under dual boot facilities (complicated to set up though). Obviously it does not work on all platforms.

I have looked at the program and tried many of the features but I find Stellarium gives a better looking display and has more useful features.

Barry
Old 17-11-2008, 04:12 PM
Jen
Moving to Pandora

Hi there Woody
yeah i had trouble with that too try Stellarium or Cartes Du Ciel they are great

http://www.stellarium.org/
http://www.softpedia.com/get/Science...-du-Ciel.shtml
Old 26-11-2008, 08:53 PM
meliux (Dan)
yes have some

that software seems to mostly require a proper 3d graphics card to work... as it says on the website's system requirements:
"3D accelerated card with 128 megabytes (MB) RAM; discrete graphics card with dedicated 256-MB VRAM recommended for higher performance"

The integrated SiS card that Barrykgerdes has doesn't cut it i dont think.... woody52 what graphics card does your system have?
Old 28-11-2008, 10:05 AM
woody52 (Len)
Woody

wwt

Hi i don't know what size my graphics card is but i don't think it is big enough thanks Len