Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Talk
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 20-10-2008, 03:46 PM
Davekyn (David)
Loves Staring Into Space!

Smile Dave’s 12” GSO Dobsonian from light polluted skies:

Hi guys,
I got a chance to try out my 12’ GSO Dob a few times now. Although I am yet to hit a dark site outside of town, I am pretty pleased with the scopes performance from in town. (Toowoomba QLD-population aprox 100.000) I pretty much live dead centre in the CBD area as well.

The 1st real time I got to use the scope was at a night sky viewing event held at the local Toowoomba USQ Observatory. The guy holding the event was very informative and easy going. The one thing I did not count for was how to show the night sky to onlookers whom some of were expecting Hubble space results. After I fiddled and tripped over my eye piece collection a few times, I really began to appreciate my new scope.

Sorry I cannot use all the lingo an experienced astronomer would use, but none the less, telescopes like these are so easy to use, that I’m here to tell you just that...any idiot can use them. Despite viewing with beaming floodlights present (courtesy of the night security!) I was able to pick out the “Ring Nebula” –Thanks to the event holder. It was pretty damn small and somewhat fuzzy...But with all the light about the place, I knew I was getting good results. Before I had a chance to change my eye pieces, it disappeared below the horizon.

The scope only coming in at F5 is not really designed to be a planet killer; however I was able to pull off some really crisp views of Jupiter; getting a few WOWs from onlookers. The 1st reason I dropped back to a wider field of view, was the difficulty tracking the objects. (Taking into account the time for people to get in close and look into the eye piece.) Although at lower magnifications, the objects look smaller, the bright ones look even brighter & gave crispier results. One of my favourites was using the 2”32mm GSO Wide Filed View eye pieces. Once again, Jupiter is small, however seeing it against the backdrop of space in this manner, gave it somewhat a 3D effect that many talk about in refractors. Its moons where clearly visible, lined up along an axis in a way the revealed the circular orbit in which they move. I could even make out the two belts at this low magnification. Another combination Eye Piece set up is using a 2XED Barlow with a 20mm SV (Super view) 1.25. I believe the most useful magnification that yielded best result for close up views (of Jupiter with this scope) was using 9mm without Barlow. However IMO, using the Barlow is good for using eye pieces with a larger exit pupil allowing the more inexperienced, easier views. If used the right way, this dob is quite efficient at view planets.

Venus looks quite amazing to my eyes. It appears much larger than it did it my tiny refractor, and using polarization filters helps to eliminate the bright halo, making it much easier to enjoy the changing crescents, much like our own moon.

The Moon looks fantastic!!! I enjoy using a 4mm EP along the terminator, however note that the views get somewhat greyer and atmospheric haze start to become very obvious. None the less if you can put up with this & learn a few tricks, you will find these unsettling effects settle, as your eyes will get used to it. You will be rewarded with some amazing close up views. I found I could basically find a use for each of the 8 EPs I was using. The 6mm gave what I thought was the best compromise between magnification & Brightness & Contrast. I thought the brightness & contrast was superb from the 9mm and up, yielding what I consider to be Hi-Resolutions Pictures that HD TV set manufacturers could only hope to reproduce 20 years from now. Of course using the word Hi-Rez is debatable, but for us newbie’s, I think it best describes what the moon looks like through my 12” Dobsonian.

Nebula’s...I got up at 4am this morning specifically to check out Orion’s Belt...M42...The 1st time I found this was by accident through a 60mm Tasco refractor, I was actually happy, unlike many that are quite disappointed with such tiny black and white results. If you’re like me and not expecting results like a downloaded hi-rez Hubble image, then you will be blown away. I believe I was using my usual close-up combo-(2XED Barlow with a 20mm SV EP) the field of view was filled with nebulosity and the 4 central stars where like beaming head lights. As I previously mentioned, changing the eye pieces and still getting great views is something this scope is great for, as there is just so much light gathering power...I can’t wait to hit a dark site! This was all achieved with the moon high in the sky and three quarters showing & the park/street lights on across the road. (I think I may have heard some people saying that some moon glow actually helps with viewing some Nebula’s, however I am not sure...still a newbie myself). I just know that this scope picks up a lot of objects from a light polluted yard.

Globular clusters and all sorts of sparkling wonders where ever present. Once again, simply amazing at what I have been missing out on. Previously to this scope, I have been at many dark sites with my little refractor & loved every viewing session I did...However this big fella is proving to me just how much more I was really missing. Out of the sky chart I download and printed & using the program “stellarium”...I was simply getting tired keeping up with all the finds I was making.

Splitting doubles...At first I was a little disappointed, but after using this scope a few times now, I have worked out how to fine tune the collimation and am pleased with the results when splitting “Rigil Kent”A1Cent...Leading Pointers of the Southern Cross (Crux) I thought it was kewl to actually see the closet star to our planet given that it is actually the companion star that is nearest and not Alpha Centuri as I always thought......Yadda yadda...I probably got that wrong two, but what a difference good collimation can make. I got these two companions resolved to perfect round discs (not counting the glare which a little touch of filter could fix) I think I will enjoy playing with doubles.

Well that’s it for now...No doubt I have only just scratched the surface with this scope and done it all from within a light polluted city. I have been able to break this scope down and fit it in my little hatch back however every time I start out on my journey for a dark site, the wind picks up and clouds come in. Mind you it’s also amazing the things you can see through clouds with this scope as well!

The only grip I now have with my scope is the Red dot finder I setup on it, seems to not work!!!! When I adjust it. It was like this from the start...I have taken the thing apart and somehow managed to get it aligned again, however find that the screw that moves it from left to right is the faulty part on the thing...I should of got a tellyrad or whatever they call them.

After putting in post in here about this and that equipment, I just got off the phone with Raff from AOE and am now the proud owner of their well designed 80mmED (F7 560mm) refractor. I ordered the model that comes with a Heavy Duty AZ3 mount. (More than enough for observing –with this little scope-from my investigations) Other goodies include a Laser pointer/15X70 Binos/ED2 EPs (3.8 & 12.5)/adjustable red dot finder/mounting adapters & lastly a high quality 45degree Diag for Terrestrial viewing.

If anyone knows of a write up on the AOE 80ED Refractor, please let me know...I could find NOTHING, however will endeavour to give more of a technical review when I get my hands on it.

Thanks to all the guys that spoke highly of AOE as I found dealing with them a breaze! The service is A1, & they definitely seem like they are there to help, even after the purchase. I’ll be back to spend more for sure & on that note, I don’t mind spending more as I find the service a little lacking with other venders, when it comes to spending $1000.00s at their stores. Service is everything!

Later Guys...
Dave
Old 21-10-2008, 02:07 PM
Paddy (Patrick)
Canis Minor

Hi Dave,

Glad to hear that you're having so much fun, and I'm very impressed that you can fit the scope into your hyundai!
Old 21-10-2008, 03:56 PM
rmcpb (Rob)
Compulsive Tinkerer

Well, its obvious that you are well and truely hooked

That 12" scope will keep you going for the rest of your days if aperture fever doesn't take hold.
Old 22-10-2008, 08:06 AM
Davekyn (David)
Loves Staring Into Space!

Thanks guys,
I am sure the bug will wear off a little down the track, but I have to agree, that I am hooked for life. I am starting to change my sleep patterns to acomadate for viewing times, that I predetermaine with Stellarium. During my night shift where I had plenty of oprutunity I was star hopping with my cheap set of 10X50 Binos & could not believe how I was picking out objects from within town. It's like my eye sight has become superhuman or somthing.

Anyways...time for me to get some sleep for my next sessions.

Later Dave
Old 22-10-2008, 01:30 PM
Paddy (Patrick)
Canis Minor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davekyn View Post
I am sure the bug will wear off a little down the track,
Doesn't sound like it to me! From my own experience, the obsession only gets worse.