Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Talk
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-08-2008, 12:38 PM
rhisaac
rhisaac

Photography with a Dob

Hi there, I've read Mike's article from a while back about the 2 different ways of taking pics with a dob. I went for the prime focus method.

Last night I attached my camera to the dob using a t ring and adapter and basically all I could see was a big white blob that covered the whole screen (which should have been Jupiter). I know I must be missing something basic .... Any thoughts? Yep I tried focusing using the dob focusers and didn't make it any better.

Help .....
Old 03-08-2008, 01:45 PM
iceman (Mike)
Sir Post a Lot!

I expect it's a focus issue. Normally a DSLR won't be able to come to focus in a newt without moving the mirror up the tube - there's usually not enough in-focus.

You might have to try afocal for a while until you decide how you want to progress into astrophotography.

Having said that, get a webcam - it'll be much easier and will come to focus.
Old 03-08-2008, 01:47 PM
bmitchell82 (Brendan)
Newtonian power! Love it!

Im new but from my readings its like putting in a eyepiece that magnifys too much, your camera sensor isn't reaching focus (needs to get closer) hence i have seen threds in here talking about reducing the length of your Optical tube... Though i might be wrong. Im sure that the wise Sages on this forum will tell you whats what in a jiffy!

.... the sage beat me!
Old 07-08-2008, 01:21 AM
AlexN
Widefield wuss

indeed.. there are a few options to get a digital slr to focus in a newtonian tube... But as Mike stated, a webcam will be easier to use and will focus without modification to the optical tube.... and will take better planetary images to boot
Old 07-08-2008, 11:46 AM
pneuman (Leigh)

I'd vote for the webcam, too -- I've done some afocal with my DSLR in my dob, but the webcam is great if you want to do prime focus. I'm still very much a beginner at it all, but if you want to see what I've been able to do, both afocal with the DSLR and prime focus with the webcam, check out my gallery:

http://electronaut.linuxgamers.net/g...rophotography/