Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Talk
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 19-06-2008, 09:36 PM
sjen2004 (Simon)

First light 12" Dob

Hi all,
less than one week after I ordered my scope from Andrews Com it arrived today. My construction defecit order kicked in and had to do the simple (any idiot could get it right the first time) base 3 times to get it right. It was dark by the time I had finished and where are the clouds you guys promised me? Its a beautiful night, wish my neighbour would turn off his rear veranda light, he's inside, otherwise perfect seeing. Tried to collimate with a cheshire and made it worse, gave up and had a look through anyway, beautiful view of Saturn and Mars, finally worked out how align the finder scope but is it supposed to focus? Back hurting (its cold and I'm not use viewing at an angle) so I thought I'd drop you guys a line while I rested and wait for Jupiter to come up.

Thanks for all the help on the forum, lots of lurking, the sky is full of stars and when I can get the hang of collimation it will be fantastic.
Regards Simon
Old 19-06-2008, 11:05 PM
Solanum

To focus the finder you undo the ring just behind the front lens (anti-clockwise I think), then you can screw the front lens in or out until you get focus, finally re tighten the ring to keep it in place. Mine came out of focus on arrival too.

Glad you're enjoying your new scope. Don't worry too much about the collimation to start with, getting it right does improve the image, but unless it is a long way out you'll still be able to see stuff.
Old 20-06-2008, 09:50 AM
sjen2004 (Simon)

The morning after

Thx for the advice. Saw Jupiter last night. 2 slightly out of focus bands across it. Saw a bright star to the south last night, flaring blue, red and yellow. Very pretty. I'm starting to get a list of tasks for my scope.

1.Modify trolley to move it.
2.Collimation 2ndry and primary mirrors.
3.Focus finder

Must say the most impressive thing so far is the ease of movement of the base. Smooth, steady and no vibration, beautifully balanced. Tracking was only difficult when I switched EP's.

I could get used to this.
Regards Simon
Old 20-06-2008, 11:42 AM
Solanum

I use a two wheeled handcart - as commonly seen in large numbers outside Super Cheap Auto or the like. Then an occy strap around the base and another round the tube, but with a piece of the original polystyrene (half pipe shape) packing between the tube and the cart.

Play with the collimation in the daytime when you have a bit of time. A combined Cheshire/sight tube is easy enough to use, or some of the more fancy laser collimation tools easier still. There's umpteen posts on here about it, just do a search.

Not sure what you mean by a focus finder - your eyes are a good judge! Focus can be easier with a 10:1 focusser instead of the stock one, but if you have problems (assuming you have a Crayford type) make sure the tension is correct as it may be slipping (using one of the hand turn knobs under the draw tube of the focusser - the other is a lock).

You get used to 'nudging' in the right direction even with high power eyepieces.
Old 20-06-2008, 05:21 PM
Screwdriverone (Chris)
I have detailed files....

I think he meant focus the finderscope, you should get this right first and its pretty easy.

What sort of dob did you get from Andrews Simon? GSO or Skywatcher?

Also whack into your profile your location so that if you need to ask any questions as to what an object is we know where you are for reference.

Cheers
Welcome (belatedly) to IIS! by the way
Old 20-06-2008, 05:31 PM
markus.a.bergh

A very cool toy.

TIP: Strap half of the Styrofoam from the OTA packaging to the top of the trolley to hold it in place while you're carting it around. The styrofoam will squeak when the OTA rubs on it so cover it with a bit of cloth or thin foam.

Get a trolley with inflatable wheels, not hard wheels so that the bumps are absorbed as you move over things and keep the pressure low for a soft ride. I have to cart mine up/down stairs/logs/grass/gravel and it handles it just fine when the tires are soft.

I also put some foam over the front of base just where the OTA hits it (when its pointing down) just in case it dents. Maybe I'm being paranoid but it doesn't hurt so why not.

I also couldn't figure out if the finderscope is supposed to focus or not for weeks and was too scared to mess with it for fear of breaking it. I'd never used one before. Its not obvious, but the front section does rotate. It's locked into place by a "ring" just in front of it. I would have saved myself a lot of trouble if only I'd asked someone.
Old 20-06-2008, 06:17 PM
Paddy (Patrick)
Canis Minor

Hi Simon,

Glad you're having fun with your new scope. I move mine on an ordinary trolley with foam pipe lagging taped to the frame of the trolley at the top and a couple of webbing straps (used for roof racks) to hold the scope in place - one at top and bottom. I find this is a very easy way to move it without any damage.

I wish you many satisfying evenings!
Old 20-06-2008, 08:11 PM
sjen2004 (Simon)

good ideas

Hi guys I bought the GSO, its the finderscope I'm having trouble with. I have bought the trolly yesterday (inflatable wheels) and am just wondering which ways others have attached the packing foam to the trolley. Too cold to go out tonight so I'll work on it in the morning.
Regards Simon
Old 20-06-2008, 08:27 PM
Starkler (Geoff)
4000 post club member

I just use sponge foam tubing on the trolley to protect the scope from getting scratched.
Old 21-06-2008, 03:43 PM
Jen
Moving to Pandora

oh you all are making me jealous
Old 21-06-2008, 06:55 PM
sjen2004 (Simon)

Jobs Done

I've just finished collimating for tonight, I have circles inside circles

I have my trolley finished

And I even focussed my finderscope

Thanks to you guys.
Regards Simon
Old 21-06-2008, 11:27 PM
Jen
Moving to Pandora

u lucky thing hope the sky is nice and clear for you
Old 22-06-2008, 10:11 AM
Dog Star (Phil)
I'm bloody serious

G'day Simon. Glad to hear that everything worked out well for you. I think you bought the same 12"deal that I did with the 5 EP's. Don't know if it's just me or not but when I'm changing to a larger X ep it takes me a moment to focus and then find the original point of interest again. I have no trouble coming up from 32 to 25 to 15 to 9 but the minute I drop the 6 mm ep in, I've lost the damn thing and once I lose something in the 6mm, it's lost forever. Maybe experience with the scope and it's navigation will help to overcome this although I've heard a few comments that a 6mm is almost unusable anyway. Any which way, congratulations again and may the weather be very kind to you.
BTW, have you managed to persuade the Missus to take a peek yet?
Old 22-06-2008, 04:52 PM
sjen2004 (Simon)

Still married

Hi Phil,
Yes my wife has reconciled herself to the scope and even had a turn looking at Saturn. I have had the same hassle with the 6mm EP but I can usually find my object again when I remember that down is up and left is right. I cant believe how balanced the whole Dob is when you are trying to move a mm in any direction. Movement is a little tough when the scope is straight up. I've even ordered a 4mm to give it a go. I am finding using the Barlow a little tough. I've never used a telescope this powerful before and I didn't get any instructions with it, I've being relying on the discussions here on how to do even the simplest things like inserting the EP's.
Regards Simon
Old 22-06-2008, 05:24 PM
GrahamL
pro lumen

4mm is a lot of power in your 12"...300X +...can you cancel that order ?
Old 22-06-2008, 09:14 PM
sjen2004 (Simon)

No Worries

Thanks for the concern but its part of a kit, just starting out I'm not ready to get individual EP's yet.
Regards Simon
Old 23-06-2008, 04:40 AM
renormalised (Carl)
No More Infinities

That's right, Phil. To get any use out of a 6mm or smaller, you need to have your scope spot on your intended target, especially in large scopes that have long F lengths. Anything over 2000mm of FL and you're almost at the point you can read the shoe size of Neil Armstrong's footprint on the Moon!!!

If you've got your eyepiece in a barlow...forget it.
Old 23-06-2008, 04:58 PM
Jen
Moving to Pandora

Quote:
Originally Posted by renormalised View Post
Anything over 2000mm of FL and you're almost at the point you can read the shoe size of Neil Armstrong's footprint on the Moon!!!

:thum bsup: