Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Talk
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 16-03-2008, 10:08 AM
Tilt (Michael)

Crayford style microfocuser with 10:1

Hi, I'm looking at the 10" GSO Dob from Andrews and I noticed the price for the model with the Crayford style focuser is now $449. Do you think it would be worth paying the additional $100 to get the 10" Dob with the Crayford style microfocuser with 10:1? I'm not interested in the GSO eyepieces that come with the telescope, as I will replace them with Orion Stratus eyepieces pretty much straight away.

What do you guys think?

Thanks
Old 16-03-2008, 10:12 AM
acropolite (Phil)

The 10:1 focusser is a great addition, I have one on both my ED80 and LX90's and wouldn't be without one.
Old 16-03-2008, 11:54 AM
Solanum

Definitely, the 10:1 focuser makes life much easier and easier focus means better views with the scope. I upgraded mine a few months after getting the scope and paid $129 with me fitting it, so the $100 extra is a decent deal.
Old 16-03-2008, 12:11 PM
Starkler (Geoff)
4000 post club member

Most anyone who has ever used a 10:1 focuser will agree that its definitely on the must have list.
Old 16-03-2008, 12:32 PM
FrostyXIII

Sorry, but here comes the n00b question.

What is the advantage of getting the "Crayford style microfocuser with 10:1"

Frosty
Old 16-03-2008, 12:57 PM
dannat (Daniel)
daniel

the crayford focuser allows you to really finely adjust focus(as copared to a simple coarse focus), the numbers mean how often you would need to turn the fine focus knob as compared to the coarse focus. A 10:1 will have finer focus than say 2:1. The crayford is better constructed & smoother into the bargain

Last edited by dannat; 16-03-2008 at 12:58 PM. Reason: mis-spelt
Old 16-03-2008, 01:19 PM
FrostyXIII

kool thanks!
Old 16-03-2008, 11:55 PM
erick (Eric)
Starcatcher

Put even more simply, on the right hand side it has a second knob that allows the focusser to move in/out much more slowly as you turn this one. Great for fine focus at high magnification. Does not solve the problem of clumsy fingers shaking the scope all over the shop as you focus!
Old 17-03-2008, 07:28 AM
Kokatha man

simplerer.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by erick View Post
Put even more simply, on the right hand side it has a second knob that allows the focusser to move in/out much more slowly as you turn this one. Great for fine focus at high magnification. Does not solve the problem of clumsy fingers shaking the scope all over the shop as you focus!
.....an' puts even simplerer, its 'as a dubble nobs on da rite-hans soid, wun fer kawser an' anudder fer finerer 'justments.......or mebbe dats even complicaterer......dunno, buts y'aint gunna keeps on streakins ahead of me wif yer "post numbas" ennymores Ericks, Isa wise t' ya nows!
Old 17-03-2008, 08:27 AM
Omaroo (Chris Malikoff)
Let there be night...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kokatha man View Post
.....an' puts even simplerer, its 'as a dubble nobs on da rite-hans soid, wun fer kawser an' anudder fer finerer 'justments.......or mebbe dats even complicaterer......dunno, buts y'aint gunna keeps on streakins ahead of me wif yer "post numbas" ennymores Ericks, Isa wise t' ya nows!
What?
Old 17-03-2008, 10:01 AM
erick (Eric)
Starcatcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omaroo View Post
What?
Not sure. Ran it through Babelfish and it's no known language!

Back to the topic, $100 difference is too much for a 10:1 cf standard Crayford focusser. The list price for them differs by $30. So there must be other extras as well in the model you are looking at. Otherwise you'd buy standard scope, plus the 10:1 focusser, swap over, flog off standard for $50 in Icetrades and still be ahead (your time being free of course!)
Old 17-03-2008, 12:32 PM
Jeff
Starry Eyed

Hi,

BINTEL sell a 10:1 Crayford Focusser Upgrade for $45. I purchased one last week from BINTEL in Melb, and I understand that they are a normally stocked item (but you need to ask, since they're not listed on the website, being a low-cost/low-volume item).

Intended for BINTEL (GSO) Dobs, but also suitable for most Meade reflectors (such as my LightBridge 10") with the same focusser setup. The kit replaces the focusser shaft and knobs. Fitting was very simple (less than 5 minutes).

Happy upgrading.
Old 17-03-2008, 01:48 PM
Glenhuon (Bill)

Just fitted one to my 150 newt. Great improvement. I would imagine Bintel would work out some sort of upgrade deal at less than $99 if you are buying the scope from them and don't want the GSO eyepieces, but the kit seems a good idea, saves being stuck with a redundant focuser.

Bill
Old 17-03-2008, 10:42 PM
Kokatha man

Fishin.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by erick View Post
Not sure. Ran it through Babelfish and it's no known language!

Back to the topic, $100 difference is too much for a 10:1 cf standard Crayford focusser. The list price for them differs by $30. So there must be other extras as well in the model you are looking at. Otherwise you'd buy standard scope, plus the 10:1 focusser, swap over, flog off standard for $50 in Icetrades and still be ahead (your time being free of course!)
Hafter dat rood comments Mr ericks Ima gunna ignores our previous cordial relayshunships 'ans me jennarossities tuwards ya! (and dats nuffin t' do's wif sharin da soft-drinks omaroos)

Erick's, youse forcin me t' makes 2 points to yer last posts:

(One's) Who's ya gunna flog dat lousy focusser off to fer 50 bucks - wunna our brudderhood of frens on IIS?

(An Two's) Isa alreadies made sum comments afore abouts how much of da free times youse seems t' have!
Old 18-03-2008, 01:07 AM
madtuna (Steve)
an overactive imagination

Quote:
Hafter dat rood comments Mr ericks Ima gunna ignores our previous cordial relayshunships 'ans me jennarossities tuwards ya! (and dats nuffin t' do's wif sharin da soft-drinks omaroos)

Erick's, youse forcin me t' makes 2 points to yer last posts:

(One's) Who's ya gunna flog dat lousy focusser off to fer 50 bucks - wunna our brudderhood of frens on IIS?

(An Two's) Isa alreadies made sum comments afore abouts how much of da free times youse seems t' have!
double what?
Old 18-03-2008, 09:19 AM
erick (Eric)
Starcatcher

Quote:

Someone, I hope. I've got one to sell, just haven't got around to it.

Quote:

No time to respond, I have work to do here, don't you know?

Last edited by erick; 18-03-2008 at 01:41 PM.
Old 18-03-2008, 12:49 PM
JethroB76 (Jeff)

This is good to know thanks for the info

Ps- top name mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
Hi,

BINTEL sell a 10:1 Crayford Focusser Upgrade for $45. I purchased one last week from BINTEL in Melb, and I understand that they are a normally stocked item (but you need to ask, since they're not listed on the website, being a low-cost/low-volume item).

Intended for BINTEL (GSO) Dobs, but also suitable for most Meade reflectors (such as my LightBridge 10") with the same focusser setup. The kit replaces the focusser shaft and knobs. Fitting was very simple (less than 5 minutes).

Happy upgrading.
Old 03-04-2008, 02:14 AM
Screwdriverone (Chris)
I have detailed files....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
Hi,

Happy upgrading.
Hey Bill,

Did you add this to a 150mm Skywatcher Newt or a GSO one? I am interested in getting one for my 130mm Skywatcher and dont want to have to pack up the 2" version that is suitable for the 8" scopes and above.

Did you find out if its universal upgrade or a different version for each type of scope?

Thanks

Chris
Old 03-04-2008, 08:12 AM
Solanum

I think you can use the same focuser, but need a different base plate depending on the curvature of your tube. Bintel should be able to supply one that matches your scope.
Old 03-04-2008, 01:45 PM
Kokatha man

fine focussing.....

Hi Screwie - see my reply to your thread in "Equipment discussions."

Cheers, Darryl.