Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Talk
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 18-01-2008, 03:25 AM
moonsoul (Annie)

Any Suggestions???

Hello! Uumm, I really want to get a telescope to see ALL sorts of things! Started with cameras and binoculars and didn't get as technical as you guys (WOW - I'm actually blown out by how far one can go into this!) mainly due to finances etc at the time, and years later, I want a telescope as I live in an amazing place where I can see some BRILLIANT skies (Albany,WA) and would love to investigate it further and I have always had a passion for the "heavens" and the moon. I have researched quite a bit and probably could go and buy something (from all the various website pages advice I have visited) that would be O.K but... I thought I'd seek your opinions first. I have about $500Au to spend. What do you think I should get and any recommendations. I have looked at York Optical, ebay,AOE and other places. I'm looking at a Saxon Dobsonian Refractor F8, 9x50 finderscope, 1.25" plossl eyepiecesa $459.00 - any good????

Thanks!...............Annie
Old 18-01-2008, 06:58 AM
davidpretorius
lots of eyes on you!

Saxon is good, but is it a Dobsonian Refractor or Reflector?

I have a 10" dobsonian, but 2 of my friends have 8" Bintel and I really like the views and also the portability of the 8"

Steer clear of ebay!
Old 18-01-2008, 07:58 AM
chunkylad (David)
Open up. it's me, Dave...

HI Annie and Welcome to IIS.

Ditto what David said - steer clear of ebay.

Andrews Communications in Sydney has their 8" f6 Guan Sheng dobsonian starting at $299.oo and going up to $499.oo for the super deluxe model.

cheers
Old 18-01-2008, 08:22 AM
rmcpb (Rob)
Compulsive Tinkerer

Try for the deluxe 8" dob if you can go that far. I still use my 8" scope as my workhorse even though I have the 13".
Old 18-01-2008, 11:08 AM
erick (Eric)
Starcatcher

Yes Annie, the 8" reflector on a Dobsonian mount is a great way to go. Most suppliers offer a "delux" or "premium" option which gives you additional options that really help - eg. some offer a right angle finder, a mirror cooling fan, and a 10:1 fine focusser.

You would be in the $500-550 range (scope price).

Don't be confused by the names - most of these are GSO scopes (from the Guan Sheng Optical company) or other Chinese manufacturers and some are given local badging.

Obviously, an issue for you will be cheap and safe shipping, in addition to being able to obtain good advice from the supplier over the phone (I'm sure you'll have questions after you set it up). I notice that Andrews Communications are still offering free freight Australia-wide on a number of their scopes, including Skywatcher reflector dobsonians. Call the suppliers and see what sort of response you get over the phone - ask about after-sales support, particularly over the phone.

However, take a breath and slow down - buy a copy of a local magazine - Australian Sky & Telescope, or Sky & Space (I hope some copies of the first are still in your Newsagent, they can both sell out quickly after issue) - the major suppliers advertise there and you can get a good sense of the range and prices.

Now, if you are looking at reflectors on a Dobsonian base, here are the things to compare:-

* Diameter of Mirror
* Focal length (from these two you can calculate the f ratio - eg. an 8" (202mm) with a 1200mm focal length is an (1200/202=6) f6 scope)

* Type of focusser (You are looking for a "Crayford" type, if possible the option of one with a 10:1 fine focussing capability)

* Eyepieces (Most supply a range of 2, 3, 4 or maybe even 5 basic but satisfactory eyepieces that get you started - whether 2" diameter or 1.25" diameter doesn't matter) Magnification will be the scope focal length divided by the eyepiece focal length - eg. 1200/15 = 80x.

* Price, including delivery costs

There are various subtle differences after this, most of which aren't a great issue for most people (eg. colour of scope or how friction is applied to the tube unit to stop it tilting down or up with different eyepiece weights).

After you buy, ask here for tips on how to avoid problems (eg. checking the teflon bearings to ensure the staples are well seated so they don't cause damage. Also ways to improve the movement of the scope in the azimuth and altitude directions.)

Expect to have to spend another couple of hundred dollars over time to get some accessories - redlight torch, planisphere, suitable chair, some star maps/atlases, a collimation aid, some filters.

Then you start on the slippery road of buying better eyepieces, barlow lenses - eeek!

Let us know your final short list of options, tell us exactly what you want to achieve with the scope and we'll give you a range of differing and confusing views to make it simple for you to decide!

Eric
Old 18-01-2008, 11:22 AM
astro_nutt

Hi Anne....
Ditto what the others have said.8" dobs are a great scope..easy to use and transport plus they offer terirfic vierws!!..but to know what's out there I can recconemd a book "The Nature Gudies Skywatching..David H Levy"..It contains lots of interesting facts about certain object and how to find them ..and another book worth seeking out is "Astronomy 2008" by Quaser Publishing..this contains a month-by-month calander of celestial events plus planet rise and set times...and much more..a good way to plan your nights viewing..
Cheers!!
Old 18-01-2008, 01:06 PM
MortonH
Deprived of starlight

I bought a used 8" GSO/Bintel Dob last year and it's great. Small enough to move around and transport easily but shows nice views of lots of objects. A fantastic 'serious' starter scope, and so cheap!

Morton
Old 20-01-2008, 02:40 AM
moonsoul (Annie)

BIG Thankyou's!!

Evening All!!
I just want to say a HUGE thanks to all of you for your advice and time and welcome!
Most appreciated and helpful. I am s l o w l y learning the lingo and figuring out what it all means. I checked out Andrews Communications and they have a Dobsonian refractor 8" with a lot of the goods you mentioned so I will ring them Monday and quiz them too. If all works out, I'll place an order!! Thanks again and I'm sure I'll be speaking with you down the track!

Seeya .............. Annie
Old 20-01-2008, 07:06 AM
iceman (Mike)
Sir Post a Lot!

Hi Annie and to IceInSpace!

I'm jealous of your dark clear skies! an 8" dob is a perfect starting scope, and within your budget too.

Astronomy is a great hobby and I hope you've got some family or friends you can share it with. It's much more fun when there's someone to share it with. Is there a local club or society nearby you can join as well?
Old 20-01-2008, 05:29 PM
jay019

I'm glad I found this thread, saves me from asking the same questions.
I'm also looking at getting a GSO 8" Dob.
Old 20-01-2008, 09:31 PM
Night Owl
It was there last time!

Quote:
Originally Posted by erick View Post
Obviously, an issue for you will be cheap and safe shipping, in addition to being able to obtain good advice from the supplier over the phone (I'm sure you'll have questions after you set it up). I notice that Andrews Communications are still offering free freight Australia-wide on a number of their scopes, including Skywatcher reflector dobsonians. Call the suppliers and see what sort of response you get over the phone - ask about after-sales support, particularly over the phone.
Eric
Yeah, safe shipping... I posted this in another thread, but its appropriate here...

"They tried to deliver my 'new' GSO 12" Dobs.
I had one look at the box, and some genius has put a forklift tine right through the box, and CRUSHED THE TUBE SIGNIFICANTLY!

Better still, the hired goons who delivered it expected me to sign for it!

The conversation went something like this... I start...

"What about about this hole in the box?"
"Oh that!" like it was nothing.
"Look, someone has put a forklift tine right through and the tube is crushed."
"Is it?" Unconvincing mock surprise, as if they didn't know.
"Yeah, have a look (put arm in hole and point for them). The tube is supposed to be round, not flattened."
"Oh yeah, it is to." It is too obvious for even dumb and dumber to try and ignore.
"You know I'm not signing for it. Its damaged goods. I can't use it like it is. You can send it back."
"Ahh, don't you want it!?"
"Mate, it's a telescope, not a sack of spuds, and it's damaged. It is supposed to be a round tube. I'm not accepting damaged goods. You can send it back."
"What! So you're not going to sign for it? What are we going to do with it?"
"Like I said, you can send it back, I'm not signing for damaged goods. As far as I'm concerned it's junk."

More dumb looks from 2/3rds of the Three Stooges, till they realise they can't make me sign for the sad sorry wreck. They finally put it back on their Moron Mobile: aka truck.

DISAPPOINTED!

The only good thing is I got straight on the phone right away to Andrew's Communications, and explained what condition it's in, and they are dispatching me an 'uncrushed' GSO 12" Dobs today:...
Freight also wasn't free on my GSO 12" Dobs, it was $90 from Sydney to my address.
I can wait for it anyway, the weather here is lousy with heavy cloud and rain squals...

Last edited by Night Owl; 20-01-2008 at 09:33 PM. Reason: More dodgy spelling!
Old 20-01-2008, 11:16 PM
chunkylad (David)
Open up. it's me, Dave...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Night Owl View Post
Yeah, safe shipping... I posted this in another thread, but its appropriate here...

"They tried to deliver my 'new' GSO 12" Dobs.
I had one look at the box, and some genius has put a forklift tine right through the box, and CRUSHED THE TUBE SIGNIFICANTLY!

Better still, the hired goons who delivered it expected me to sign for it!

The conversation went something like this... I start...

"What about about this hole in the box?"
"Oh that!" like it was nothing.
"Look, someone has put a forklift tine right through and the tube is crushed."
"Is it?" Unconvincing mock surprise, as if they didn't know.
"Yeah, have a look (put arm in hole and point for them). The tube is supposed to be round, not flattened."
"Oh yeah, it is to." It is too obvious for even dumb and dumber to try and ignore.
"You know I'm not signing for it. Its damaged goods. I can't use it like it is. You can send it back."
"Ahh, don't you want it!?"
"Mate, it's a telescope, not a sack of spuds, and it's damaged. It is supposed to be a round tube. I'm not accepting damaged goods. You can send it back."
"What! So you're not going to sign for it? What are we going to do with it?"
"Like I said, you can send it back, I'm not signing for damaged goods. As far as I'm concerned it's junk."

More dumb looks from 2/3rds of the Three Stooges, till they realise they can't make me sign for the sad sorry wreck. They finally put it back on their Moron Mobile: aka truck.

DISAPPOINTED!

The only good thing is I got straight on the phone right away to Andrew's Communications, and explained what condition it's in, and they are dispatching me an 'uncrushed' GSO 12" Dobs today:...
Freight also wasn't free on my GSO 12" Dobs, it was $90 from Sydney to my address.
I can wait for it anyway, the weather here is lousy with heavy cloud and rain squals...
For the record, I must say that I got my 12" GSO dob delivered within 2 working days: somewhat of a record for Sydney/Townsville transport. It was received in good nick as well. If you read the thread from the above quote, I'm sure you'll find that Andrews Comms are going to replace Night Owl's damaged OTA anyway.

Good luck with your dob. I am certain you'll get many years of great service from it.I think it's the best bang for buck anywhere!

Cheers