Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Talk
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 13-11-2007, 12:03 PM
davewaldo
Tasmania

EQ mount in Alt-Az mode?

Hi everyone!

I don't even know if this is possible but it would make visual observing easier...

I remember seeing a picture of a HEQ5 in alt-az mode. I didn't know if this was possible and still have go-to (or even possible at all).

Basically the mount was possitioned like it would be for 0 degree latitude (might work at 90 too?) and then the scope would be attatched as normal.
However instead of rotating around the pole it would simply function as an alt-az mount.

I think this would be great as it would stop the EP location from getting in strange possitions when using a newt.

If you could set up an EQ like this and then do a 2/3 star alignment and have goto I think this would be a great setup for visual observing!

Does anyone know anything about this?

Dave.
Old 13-11-2007, 01:24 PM
citivolus (Ric)
Refracted

I think you could do it as long as your mount didn't restrict go-to below the horizon.
Old 13-11-2007, 01:59 PM
davewaldo
Tasmania

Can you just select Alt-Az mode on most EQ mounts then? Surly it would need to think in a different way than normal....
Old 15-11-2007, 04:30 PM
Terry B
Country living & viewing

Ihaven't tried it but it should be possible.
When I owned a vixen SS2000 it was suppose to be able to track satellites. The scope has to flip at the 1/2 way mark as the satellite crosss the meridian when it is aimed at the south pole. Tho prevent this it was suggested that you deliberately aim the scope east or west, do a normal alignement and it is suppose to realise is is not polar aligned. It will then track across the meridian without needing to flip.
This is essentially the same as using it in Alt/Az mode. The moral to this is that it would depend on the ability of the goto (if present) to compensate for miss alignement. I know that the visen SS2000 will do it and that my synscan on an EQ6 will not do it. Not sure about other mounts.
Old 15-11-2007, 05:39 PM
Lee
Colour is over-rated

One problem will be your counterweight will likely hit your tripod/pier if set to 0 latitude.....
Old 27-11-2007, 09:52 PM
The Mekon (John Briggs)

You need to set the polar axis to 90 degrees. Then the dec axis is horizontal. The scope slews in azimuth on the polar and altitude on the dec. I had a Japanese "Royal" telescope years ago that would allow this. Not too sure that many modern mounts would do so.