Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Talk
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-08-2007, 11:27 PM
dugnsuz (Doug)

Quote:
Originally Posted by xelasnave View Post
The more time you spend at the scope the more you will see...when I started there seemed little to see..now there is too much to see... I thought you needed a 16inch to see a galaxy but in a dark site even a 6inch gives you some ...and a with 12inch (and a 10 no doubt) ..there are so many I laugh at how I thought it was at first.
To me the real thing is so much better than the best photo even if you dont see all the detail... you get a sence of reality, time and space.
Avoid hopping about to see many things but take your time...you need time to see all that is available you miss so much early on rushing I feel...
Good luck and be patient and remember there is really a lot of stuff up there and hopefully it will be there for a while to come..
A dark site is very important ...give me a small scope and a dark site over big APP and a little light ...
alex
Well said Alex,
I feel that I am still a victim to the impatient astromomer syndrome!
I always enjoyed the "being there" aspect of visual astronomy, but wholeheartedly embrace the "capturing" being there aspect of imaging.
The learning curve may be steep, but pausing to look back now and again to trace one's steps can be enlightening... I know much more now than I did!!!!!
As to what you can ACTUALLY see...if you can see it naked eye or through binos, it will be amazing through a scope!
If you have to search and search for an object you have to avert your gaze to see, then the hunt may be sweeter than the kill I reckon!!
2 cents worth!
Ken's triffid example illustrates the disparity between imaging and visual astronomy really well.
Cheers and Good luck - a 10" DOB is a fantastic visual scope, great light gathering power and easy to manage.
All the best
Doug
Old 08-08-2007, 07:17 PM
GazzMeister

Thanks Everybody

Rex: That link was very helpfull, thanks for that. Ken: I really do need to start sketching what I can see. I've been looking at m7 alot lately (first object I could find easily) and I reckon that if I started to sketch it I would notice alot more. Jeanette: I've been spending LOADS over the past few months on books and magazines (in fact I would probably have enough money to buy some kind of giant telescope by now!). I've got "The Night Sky", it's an awesome book, do you know of anything as good as it that focuses on stuff outside of the solar system? The Aussie magazines are a real help as well, with the "features of the month" type of articles. I'm off to a Canberra Astronomical Society meeting tomorrow so hopefully I'll be able to have a gander through a few scopes.

Cheers again for all the answers, I'm so happy to have found such a helpful forum. Aussie based to boot!

Gareth

Last edited by GazzMeister; 08-08-2007 at 07:18 PM. Reason: ?